15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is there any cache needing to be cleared when doing a lot of midi takes?

Or do they disappear from the project as you click "x" on a layer?

It's so weird, I think, that midi is handled so differently than audio.
More than 50% of a project is midi most of the time.

It is also neglected when coming to import/export formats like OMF/AAF etc.
It's bascially StudioOne import of track archives from Cubase that differ that do midi too.

It's 35 years since first midi standard was created and still neglected as the black sheep of the family.

Thanks.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by SwitchBack on Fri May 17, 2019 2:45 am
My guess is that it’s because the midi data is treated as ‘control’ data (like automation and EQ/dynamics settings). It is stored in the .song file, edited in the .song file, and deleted from the .song file when you delete it. There’s no cache involved so there’s also no cache to be cleared :)

And yes, midi is old like the abacus. Still accurate, but old ;)
by Tacman7 on Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 pm
Since midi is not sound it takes up little space.

You can save bars of midi as midi files in the browser and pull them into any song, or get them from any song with song data import. I've stored them in layers in new song templates.

Drum programs know how to take care of midi. They have advanced browsers for organizing and finding the right midi for your song.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Nip on Sat May 18, 2019 12:39 am
Thanks guys.
I don't use any pre-recorded libraries of midi at all - so not about that for me.
Or reusing between projects.

Just puzzled over the fact no daws let you get organized in the same way regarding the midi clips you have in project as for audio.

"Here is the pool of all your clips in your project"
"- ehhhummm, but midi clips, sorry"

which for me is at least half of what is there.

And no attention to transferring from/to other daws regarding midi either.
Exception is StudioOne import from Cubase track archives that do midi as well.

I also managed from Reaper doing EDL-files and you can select midi clips and tell it to be files on disk instead - then I could at the time import those straight up to Samplitude. In samp there are no separate track types so a file reference is just pulled in as is.

Midi clips could just as well be a proprietary format, need not be mid-files at all - just that you can see the full range in project in the Pool.

Just thought there might be a good reason for this that I overlooked, but guess not then.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by SwitchBack on Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 am
You can stay organized by dropping the initial midi files in the song’s Media folder. But keep in mind that these are just a starting point for your song. Once you import them in the song then the original files are not referenced anymore (unlike audio material). Any changes you make to the midi tracks in your song are not reflected in the initial files.
by Nip on Sat May 18, 2019 4:15 am
SwitchBack wroteYou can stay organized by dropping the initial midi files in the song’s Media folder. But keep in mind that these are just a starting point for your song. Once you import them in the song then the original files are not referenced anymore (unlike audio material). Any changes you make to the midi tracks in your song are not reflected in the initial files.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

by Tacman7 on Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 am
This might be what you're looking for, haven't tried them but sounds like you can store midi in them.

Music Loops
A Music Loop consists of everything required to recreate a musical performance, including the virtual instrument preset, multichannel FX chain presets for the virtual instrument outputs, the music-performance file, and an audio loop. Music Loops can be dragged in from the Browser, just like a MIDI file, but they are much more powerful in that they can re-create the exact setup used to make the original performance.
To create a Music Loop, drag any Instrument Part into the Browser. You can see a pop-up display indicating whether you are exporting a Music Loop or a MIDI file. By default, Music Loop is selected. To change this selection, press [Alt]/[Option] on the keyboard. Once exported, you can see the .musicloop file in the Browser.

Of course you can see regular midi files in the browser, have you tried saving midi tracks as .mid files? I've did that some but it's been a while and I can't remember if they want to start a new song or something when you try and import them. Definitely can't audition them in the browser.
Maybe you can audition a musicloop in the browser because it includes an audio loop.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Nip on Sat May 18, 2019 6:47 am
I tried using music loops once in v2.x of StudioOne as track template, but did not work that well. You had to "fool" system with a short midi clip of some sort. Never understood what that was for.
Now we have decent import song data at least - works for me.

It's more about getting overview as for audio used, kind of.
Everything midi in project beside audio stuff.

by Tacman7 on Sat May 18, 2019 7:04 am
I use midi clips all the time, have them all organized in a browser, works great.

ezkeys_upright.jpg

EZbrowser.jpg

Forum Moderator.

by vanhaze on Mon May 20, 2019 3:52 am
@OP:

What i sometimes do, when i have an Instrument Part that i want to save to my own Midi Files Library:
I select the Instrument Part and then use the Command "Export Selection"
Then i choose my own Midi Files Library folder and choose as format: MIDI File (.mid).
I find this workflow alittle more convenient than dragging the Instrument Part to the Browser > My own Midi Files Library Folder.

Downside of this workflow is that you can't "batch save" multiple selected Instrument Parts. :roll:

Kind Regards.

Macbook Air M1 2020, 8 gig RAM, 256 gig SSD | OSX Ventura -latest Beta | Presonus Studio 24C audio interface.
by Nip on Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 am
Thanks again guys for your managing tips, appreciated. :)

by vanhaze on Mon May 20, 2019 7:11 am
UR Welcome !

Macbook Air M1 2020, 8 gig RAM, 256 gig SSD | OSX Ventura -latest Beta | Presonus Studio 24C audio interface.
by Lawrence on Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am
You can browse song files directly for midi / music clips, In the browser.
by roland1 on Mon May 20, 2019 10:00 am
Tip:

If you want to keep a MIDI file for use in other projects - like leftover drum fills - simply highlight/select the section you want to reuse and copy/paste it to an empty section later in the timeline on that same track. [makes it faster/easier to deal with]

From here, you can drag that instrument note event/MIDI file clip into the browser in its own separately named folder. Click alt/option as you're doing this to make it a MIDI file only. You can then delete the MIDI file in the timeline.

When auditioning those MIDI clips, select a track that uses that same instrument (like SSD5 or Presence Piano or something) and then, by pressing the play button in the browser, that MIDI clip will play back using that exact instrument.

I know. I know. It still blows my mind to this day. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by vanhaze on Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 pm
Lawrence wroteYou can browse song files directly for midi / music clips, In the browser.

Yup, totally forgot about this very powerful one. :D
To put into abit more detail, for noobies:

a) In Browser, navigate to a S1 Song File (It has the extension ".song"
b) Click on the enclosure triangle, to de-collapse it.
c) You will see a Folder named "Performances"
This Folder contains all the (midi) Instrument Parts used in the S1 Song.
They have the extension ".musicx"
Interpretate these as being midi files which can be used in other S1 songs.

Drawback: These .musicx files don't have the names that they have in the S1 Song. :cry:

15 posts
Page 1 of 1