16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Having raised a support ticket on the continuing unstable behaviour of Scratch Pad, and having supplied a screenprint of the result of the issue in a Scratch Pad (and explained clearly what the issue is, and what steps there were leading up to this) and therefore reporting a probable bug, I was told I needed to supply video evidence of the issue occurring before they could investigate.

I am ashamed to say I don't really know how to make a video of issues occurring in Studio One's Scratch Pad. However the screen print is clear, and I explained that a video would not show much, one moment you are editing and then something happens (quicker than the eye) and you have a problem with that particular Scratch Pad.

Because I did not want to delete my Settings as instructed (this is not really required) or wish to make a video of this issue I was told that I was not participating in the process.

I left it with them unresolved - it is not a settings issue - but clearly I was not believed without video evidence (this is not a court of law) and the screenshot was not enough (I guess I was suspected of Photoshop manipulation). I said I would work around this by not using Scratch Pad as that made it easier for them and me.

I guess I will have to learn how to produce a video now, and to get used to re-configuring my settings every time I report a bug-like issue.

Be aware that Scratch Pad is a bit unstable and not to be relied upon but I don't have video evidence yet - in the past you said there was a problem and supplied a screenprint and they investigated and tested.

The Presonus team are courteous and generally patient and helpful - so this is not a complaint, but just an observation.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by robertgray3 on Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am
Sorry to hear that. If you post your screenshot and steps here I’m sure someone else here can make a video

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by lawrencefarr on Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 am
Screen recording is built into macOS: QuickTime, File > New Screen Recording. Seeing a video lets us see an anomaly happen in real time which may help us more quickly recreate it and if so, log it.

Refreshing application settings in Studio One will often fix some random issues or anomalies and takes all of 30 seconds so we often request that before we move on to other troubleshooting steps. It also lets us know that an issue is not perhaps triggered by a certain combination of settings as they're all reset to default.

Thanks,

Studio One Technical Support | QA
------------------------------------------------
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
------------------------------------------------
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 am
Two simple options:

Go to the Reaper main website, cockos.com and download LICEcap. It's a free gif animation screen capture program they created for beta testing and bug proofing their app. Totally useful.

Another option is Screencast-o-matic. They have a free version. The paid version is about $20 for the year. It's actually quite good for editing on the fly, etc.

As a Mac user, I'm not a big fan of Quicktime. :(

Beyond this, you get into a steeper price category.

Good luck. Sounds like you'll need it.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by garyshepherd on Thu May 16, 2019 12:14 pm
Thanks for your helpful comments.

Quick Time does not let you choose a right click menu option when recording a New Screen Recording - don't know why.

So I sent screenshots of all the steps - no faking by photoshop - and the same issue occurred. Then I deleted the instructed bits of the Settings folder as instructed and restarted S1. I was able to recreate the same issue.

Then put the settings folder pre delete files back (I had backed up), and immediately recreated the issue. I don't think it is a Settings issue.

I guess the point of my post is not so much the Scratch Pad issues, but the process of reporting a bug.

The Settings folder deletion seems unnecessary (it made no difference in my case), and the Quick Time video does not seem to work for menu choices as part of the steps to show the issue.

I think screenshots are much clearer and systematical, and therefore not inferior to a video of an issue.

They now want a copy of my song (its 8gb) but I am not going to send that. But I suppose the upshot is that this is somehow my fault - too large and complicated songs with time signature changes and many sections (yes - I do Prog). Scratch Pads seem creaky in that context.

I have started doing sections as different songs rather than strung together in one large song - S1 does not have separate sequences or chunks, so it is a pain to join up the sections if separate songs - but this might be the answer if things don't improve. But frankly, while I like the idea of Scratch Pads, practically they are pretty useless and waste a lot of my time - shame.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by robertgray3 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm
Sure that all sounds like a good workaround but can you just put the screenshots, steps, (the ones you sent them) and songfile here? We probably don't need the media folder to recreate it, just the easily-uploaded songfile. Scratch Pads have some issues, yeah, would be nice to get it reported.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by garyshepherd on Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm
robertgray3 wroteSure that all sounds like a good workaround but can you just put the screenshots, steps, (the ones you sent them) and songfile here? We probably don't need the media folder to recreate it, just the easily-uploaded songfile. Scratch Pads have some issues, yeah, would be nice to get it reported.

They have now accepted my issue and are raising it with QA after my latest screenshots sent to them - its to do with strange behaviour when you use Copy to new Scratch Pad - Arrange sections with a loop say - and the Scratch Pad seems to lose the start of the timeline in the view window.

As I said - its more about the process of reporting bugs than the issue. Had trouble with Scratch Pad all along.

by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm
We're also going to need some DNA. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by garyshepherd on Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 pm
roland1 wroteWe're also going to need some DNA. :D

That will be next

by leosutherland on Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 am
garyshepherd wrote
roland1 wroteWe're also going to need some DNA. :D

That will be next

...and Footprints! :)

I haven't really found a use for Scratchpad - Arranger I use all the time.

Just FWIW :mrgreen:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by musicchamber on Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 am
I think scratchpad is a half baked feature, and the way it's implemented and how it effects the overall UI is not good from Presonus.

Some people may find it very useful, but for me, no thanks.

A Chunks feature from Digital Performer is what's needed, in my honest opinion.

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by robertgray3 on Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 am
garyshepherd wrote
robertgray3 wroteSure that all sounds like a good workaround but can you just put the screenshots, steps, (the ones you sent them) and songfile here? We probably don't need the media folder to recreate it, just the easily-uploaded songfile. Scratch Pads have some issues, yeah, would be nice to get it reported.

They have now accepted my issue and are raising it with QA after my latest screenshots sent to them - its to do with strange behaviour when you use Copy to new Scratch Pad - Arrange sections with a loop say - and the Scratch Pad seems to lose the start of the timeline in the view window.

As I said - its more about the process of reporting bugs than the issue. Had trouble with Scratch Pad all along.

K! Hope it gets resolved. Yes the Scratch Pad still has some issues to get worked out. I use it a lot so Im just trying to make sure they do. It’s not a core crucial feature so a lot of people here admit it doesn’t behave right but don’t really report it. As you point out, part of it is that in complicated situations naturally the reporting process unfortunately places a lot of the burden on the customer.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 am
I use scratchpad quite a bit for testing new or alternate parts for instruments. It takes the pressure off the main song in the timeline.

Recently, I began fleshing out one entire song in a scratch pad—including guitar parts and vocals; arranger track, tempo changes, etc. I have since moved it into the main arrange window, but that was the first time I risked doing all that in something that broke a file on me the first time I used it back in v3.0.

No one was hurt. But if something had gone wonky, I sure as heck would have made a full length documentary on it, because the Scratch pad has been with us too long to still be crappy.

But then again, so have politicians, and we seem no further ahead in that regard...

by matthewgorman on Fri May 17, 2019 1:02 pm
On one of your original questions: I just record the screen with my phone and send them that.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by garyshepherd on Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 pm
matthewgorman wroteOn one of your original questions: I just record the screen with my phone and send them that.

A good idea.

by garyshepherd on Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm
musicchamber wroteI think scratchpad is a half baked feature, and the way it's implemented and how it effects the overall UI is not good from Presonus.

Some people may find it very useful, but for me, no thanks.

A Chunks feature from Digital Performer is what's needed, in my honest opinion.

Best
Scott

I tend to agree.

16 posts
Page 1 of 1