33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi folks. I was working in Studio One 4 Pro on my PC yesterday - tracking V-Drums, etc. — and decided I'd begin to list problems/potential bugs that I'm encountering. Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing these three "issssues."

1) CC4 is not recorded in loop mode on a MIDI track via an input instrument/controller if the output is left empty.

2) Faderport (classic version): When pressing "rec" button to engage record on a single instrument track, it will actually engage record for ALL instrument tracks sharing that instrument.

For instance, yesterday, I was tracking V-Drums with SSD5 and when I pressed the "rec" button on the Faderport (classic, again), the record mode was activated for three instrument tracks, the one I was recording on, and also the two below it that were using SSD5 as their output instrument.

When using a mouse in the arrange view and clicking on a single track, this doesn't happen.

3) Clicking on a MIDI note: ]when an instrument such as a Presence XT synth is engaged, clicking on a MIDI note does not reliably play back that sound. I'm using a Focusrite interface set to 128 samples, which is fine for this use, and when I click on some notes, they sound back immediately, while others either don't sound at all or there is a long delay before they sound. This is needed for when you want to hear the pitch of a note before moving it around manually to another note lane.

[UPDATE re; #3: Seems to work okay on my Mac using a new song file; maybe it's file specific.]

If anyone cares to comment on any of these issues, I just want to get a bearing on whether they are common occurrences or whether they are just a product of my wild imagination.

Stop. No. I'm not crazy. Let go of me. Noooooooo! Don't taze me, bro.
[tzzzzzzzzzzz] [tzzzzzzzzzz] [tzzzzzzzzz]
[Call to Presonus HQ.]: "We have the suspect apprehended, Your Emminence."
[roll credits]
Last edited by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by robertgray3 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm
1. confirmed
2. dont own a faderport
3. cant confirm, can you post a song where this is happening? maybe its because of something else.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by garyshepherd on Thu May 16, 2019 1:21 pm
2. I own a faderport - I guess that is true although I would never have different tracks sharing the same instrument. Do you need to do that?

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 pm
Two separate answers:

robertgray3 wrote...
3. cant confirm, can you post a song where this is happening? maybe its because of something else.

Thanks. So, you are able to click any MIDI note and it returns a sound immediately, without delay?

garyshepherd wrote2. I own a faderport - I guess that is true although I would never have different tracks sharing the same instrument. Do you need to do that?

I use them as "sectioned" tracks so that I can focus on particular sections. For example, one track will be used just to record "intro takes," while another is for "verse takes" etc.

That's why I do this—it keeps me focused on the part and avoids clutter cause I like to record a lot of takes. That's also why I noticed that all those tracks were being record activated.
Last edited by roland1 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm
robertgray3 wrote...

UPDATE re; #3:
I tested it on my Mac and it seems to work okay there.

Maybe it actually is a problem that's specific to that file. However, if I'm working on one particular song file for weeks, I don't really care whether MIDI note monitoring works in a brand new file because I need it in the one I'm working on.

So I guess the question is: What makes it unreliable in that file and not another?

How would anyone know. It's such an esoteric thing to begin with: Some notes sound, others don't, but they're all part of a working, active MIDI file. Pffff...

by garyshepherd on Thu May 16, 2019 6:21 pm
roland1 wrote
garyshepherd wrote2. I own a faderport - I guess that is true although I would never have different tracks sharing the same instrument. Do you need to do that?

I use them as "sectioned" tracks so that I can focus on particular sections. For example, one track will be used just to record "intro takes," while another is for "verse takes" etc.

That's why I do this—it keeps me focused on the part and avoids clutter cause I like to record a lot of takes. That's also why I noticed that all those tracks were being record activated.

I understand - clutter indeed.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by roland1 on Thu May 16, 2019 7:04 pm
garyshepherd wrote
roland1 wrote

I understand - clutter indeed.

Most of the time I will also have a separate song file for recording V-Drums with just a stereo mix of the song for cueing. That keeps things in their place when having to add or redo parts.

by robertgray3 on Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 pm
roland1 wroteThanks. So, you are able to click any MIDI note and it returns a sound immediately, without delay?

Yes. sometimes issues are complex. see if you can narrow it down. You said its a MIDI note that's part of a MIDI file? is a MIDI note in a MIDI file or a Note Event in an Instrument Part? two different things.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 5:38 am
Oh no. We're at the Tower of Babel in DAW specific semantics.

I'm gonna write this like a child, not as an insult to you, but because I don't want to go into the manual and have to learn to speak Ancient Presonese like a scholar.

Here's what I mean:

When I play my keyboard, a rectangular shaped "note" is created inside of the rectangular shaped object that is in the instrument track I'm recording on—I hope that's called an "event." The thing I recorded, I refer to as a "note."

When I touch that "note" using a mouse click, sometimes it makes a sound, sometimes it doesn't. And sometimes it makes a sound, but only after a long delay (500ms).

That's all I know. I swear. :)

robertgray3 wrote
roland1 wroteThanks. So, you are able to click any MIDI note and it returns a sound immediately, without delay?

Yes. sometimes issues are complex. see if you can narrow it down. You said its a MIDI note that's part of a MIDI file? is a MIDI note in a MIDI file or a Note Event in an Instrument Part? two different things.

by Bbd on Fri May 17, 2019 6:57 am
Win 10 Studio One Pro 64
Series III 24 board and Presonus Studio 192
Running Maximum Dropout Protection with Enable low latency monitoring for instruments on or off.

Anytime I select a midi note I hear the sound from the instrument. It is not delayed.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by robertgray3 on Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 am
roland1 wroteOh no. We're at the Tower of Babel in DAW specific semantics

Super entertaining but people can’t help you out unless they know what you’re doing. I can audition note events in instrument parts without any delay. If you post a song file I can at least see what plugins are on the track. Maybe somethings reporting latency incorrectly, who knows, but it’s clearly something else otherwise me and Bbd would have been able to duplicate it.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 am
robertgray3 wrote
roland1 wroteOh no. We're at the Tower of Babel in DAW specific semantics

Super entertaining but people can’t help you out unless they know what you’re doing. I can audition note events in instrument parts without any delay. If you post a song file I can at least see what plugins are on the track. Maybe somethings reporting latency incorrectly, who knows, but it’s clearly something else otherwise me and Bbd would have been able to duplicate it.

I did say it's working fine on my Mac. It's just on the PC file where it's wonky. But I guess, in summary, this feature "works" — at least for you guys in your specific files.

(Wasn't there also a setting somewhere where you could choose to have MIDI notes (those rectangular things I'm recording) sound out when clicked? I can't find that for some reason. Course, I also don't want to make a career out of trying to find out why S1 isn't working for me at various times.

by robertgray3 on Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am
yes its called Audition Notes its on the left side of the Music Editor and its the feature Bbd and I enabled to test your problem

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 1:08 pm
I've been frantically looking in all the "wrench" menus and in the advanced MIDI options for that setting. DUH! Knew I saw it somewhere. I think I've got my head in too much software, including 3D...

Point is, though, that this setting is checked in my MIDI files on both Mac & PC.

I'm using the Presence XT Elec Piano preset and pressing randomly on the "notes" allows some to sound, other not (well, they actually make a clicking sound as if they're at least trying.).

On the track above it, which is using a Korg plugin, the same thing happens.

No idea.

robertgray3 wroteyes its called Audition Notes its on the left side of the Music Editor and its the feature Bbd and I enabled to test your problem
Last edited by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 1:20 pm
Thanks, Bbd.

I have Minimum Dropout Protection w/enable low latency monitoring for instruments on.

I just created a new song, put Presence in there; "Flugelhorn" just for kicks, added a few random midi notes via the pencil tool, humanized them a couple of times and then started "auditioning" them.

Same result. Some sounded, others didn't. But there is a low level click as though they are getting stuck at the start of the transient but not going further.

That's on my PC Win 10, S1 4 pro. v4.14. Latency is 128 samples. No unusual settings.

Bbd wroteWin 10 Studio One Pro 64
Running Maximum Dropout Protection with Enable low latency monitoring for instruments on or off.

Anytime I select a midi note I hear the sound from the instrument. It is not delayed.

by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 1:30 pm
Babel (from the online manual):

"Audio Events and Instrument Parts are referred to collectively as Events in this manual."

Why not Audio Events and Intrument events?
Or Audio Parts and Instrument Parts?

Instead, you have one that is a "part," one that is an "event," and yet both are "events."

whahahahaha....where's my cocktail of psychotropic drugs.

I'm also not seeing the word "MIDI note" anywhere, just instrument data, which could mean a multitude of things, including CC info, volume, pitch, banks and presets, etc.

If someone plays a "C" on a trumpet, they are playing a "note." That's all I know, it seems.

by Bbd on Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm
roland1 wroteThanks, Bbd.

I have Minimum Dropout Protection w/enable low latency monitoring for instruments on.

I just created a new song, put Presence in there; "Flugelhorn" just for kicks, added a few random midi notes via the pencil tool, humanized them a couple of times and then started "auditioning" them.

Same result. Some sounded, others didn't. But there is a low level click as though they are getting stuck at the start of the transient but not going further.

That's on my PC Win 10, S1 4 pro. v4.14. Latency is 128 samples. No unusual settings.

Bbd wroteWin 10 Studio One Pro 64

Please open a Support ticket for this issue.
Thanks.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by scottyo7 on Fri May 17, 2019 4:57 pm
I just used my (classic) Faderport last nite to record without issues.

However, I used 2 audio tracks (stereo) for my acoustic guitar (44.1kHz).
When I get the part smoothed out, I'll switch to 48kHz.

I have Audio Dropout set to 'medium' and 256 samples.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by roland1 on Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Hi Scottyo7. The issue I'm having with the faderport is in regards to record arming instrument (MIDI or whatever they're called in Studio One) tracks. So it's not with audio tracks, just with tracks that are using a virtual instrument to play note events, data, parts, whatever.

When I try to record arm a single instrument track, it arms all the tracks that are sharing that instrument plugin. When I click to record arm using a mouse, this does not happen. So it's something that the faderport is doing when it focuses on that track.

scottyo7 wroteI just used my (classic) Faderport last nite to record without issues.

However, I used 2 audio tracks (stereo) for my acoustic guitar (44.1kHz).
When I get the part smoothed out, I'll switch to 48kHz.

I have Audio Dropout set to 'medium' and 256 samples.

by Nip on Sat May 18, 2019 12:44 am
robertgray3 wrote1. confirmed

I can confirm this too, but it is about any midi CC at all - not just cc4.

I tested from keyboard and mousewheel or sustain pedal etc - same thing.

If to do a bug report I mean, more descriptive of the problem.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***

33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2