8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings fellow PreSonus users. I have a question regarding ones' experience with plugging in a Shure SM7b. This is the true test for my StudioLive Series iii 16, and i think it passed. I was curious if anyone thinks a Cloudlfter is worth using with this board and mic combo. I plugged in my mic, direct, into the board and got some decent levels around 55db - so almost maxed-out... but the preamps are still quiet! So that's impressive. Just wondering if it's okay to run a PreAmp hot like that.

Thanks guys!

Randy
Michigan

Windows 11, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 32GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii
Studio One 4 Professional
by gierig on Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 am
Hey,
and i think it passed
decent levels around 55db

Passed and that results not match or missing I'm here something ?
I would throw away my gear with "decent levels" on 55db for an Dynamic mic.

Anyways...
When the board and Mic are ok. It sound you use the wrong input.
As that would explain the "decent level on 55db"
How did you connect the mic to the Board ?
Remember if you use any TRS (1/4" / 6.3mm Jack) you will use a Line IN
that expect Line level.

Only the XLR connection will use the MIC Preamp.

SL24III | SL16.4.2 | PA | Electronics | Bass | Mac | Logic x | Manual reader | to old to be fame
by Bbd on Fri May 17, 2019 6:44 am
randrums wroteGreetings fellow PreSonus users. I have a question regarding ones' experience with plugging in a Shure SM7b. This is the true test for my StudioLive Series iii 16, and i think it passed. I was curious if anyone thinks a Cloudlfter is worth using with this board and mic combo. I plugged in my mic, direct, into the board and got some decent levels around 55db - so almost maxed-out... but the preamps are still quiet! So that's impressive. Just wondering if it's okay to run a PreAmp hot like that.

Thanks guys!

Randy
Michigan

I have a Studiolive 24 and Shure SM7b and a Cloudlifter. You are correct in that the mic pres are clean and strong enough to handle the mic w/o Cloudlifter. I use it anyway to have more gain if needed.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by randrums on Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am
Thank you, Bbd. I appreciate it! That makes sense now.

Windows 11, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 32GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii
Studio One 4 Professional
by PAE Seth on Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 am
I have never needed a Cloudlifter with Series 3. I have also never needed 55 dB of gain for these mics either, so I find that very strange. Your source must be very quiet, in which case that mic is not suitable for that use.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by stephenperkins1 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09 pm
I have a presonus itwo and definitely need a cloudlifter running into GarageBand
by stevenhartwell on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:53 pm
This may help to explain exactly what a cloud lifter type Mic booster will, and won't do for your recording setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHV2QycdiaY&t=7s

Chief Engineer for over 20 years @
http://www.featherlightstudio.com
Studiolive Series III 32SC / NSB 32.16
Studio One / Cubase / Pro Tools
M1 Max MacStudio / Intel i7Macbook Pro
by jeffreypedersen on Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:19 am
Regarding the SM7:
The low output is normal. In fact it is a feature. It was designed that way.
Low sensitivity mics pick up what is nearby and and reject background sounds.
The thing to remember is you need to be right on it. I bought one for our stadium announcer who is located in a busy control room with a lot of people. Beside that he sits at an open window facing a loud stadium. When I solo his mic the background noise is barley audible and he sounds full bodied and warm. Perfect.
Look at the play by play tv announcers on televised sports. Their Sennheiser headset mics are an inch from the mouth. I was shocked when I first mixed a game at how much gain they needed. That’s how they work.
There is a British mic I think (?) from Coles commonly referred to a the “Lip mic” that has been around for ages. It has a metal guard on it that is supposed to be touching your upper lip. Same principle applies. They call it “noise cancelling”.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1