17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey,
I have a brandnew SL 32R and "*.bak" Backups on pc as well as a backup folder called "a" on sd card, which I created directly in the mixer with a different unit of 32R. Loading the .bak files doesn't bring up the old settings. Don't know how to restore from sd card. I did a firmware update, but still have UC 2. Didn't know if I should update this, because the backups were taken with the older software a few months ago. How should I proceed?

Thanks
Chris
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 2:01 pm
May I ask to which mixer do the old scenes in the back-up file belong? RM AI? SL AI? It was somehow possible to "read" AI scenes in UC 2 and the former Series III firmware, but because of several differences between AI and Series III, this approach was not recommended. There was the danger of corrupted scenes causing some "funny" behavior of the mixers.

Now with a new firmware for the Series III mixers and a new UC Surface version with a totally different approach regarding scenes (now projects AND scenes) and differences in general settings, it might get very difficult. UC Surface 3 does convert the old Series III scenes stored in UC Surface 2 quite well, but I doubt that this is true also for AI scenes.

Why not create projects from the scratch? You have to get used to the new and very different approach of projects and scenes and other settings anyway, so it's better to spend the time there instead of trying to convert something that does not fit any more. And also here I would like to point out that the Series III mixer do sound and react different than the AI mixers. Or in other words: they sound better, which makes a lot of (former) processing needless!

As there is no "Zero Out" scene available any more (which is causing some problems), I recommend to recall project and scene right directly after the installation or conversion and store THIS as your Zero Out project (the scene is included and does not need to stored separately).
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 2:26 pm
It's the exact same device SL 32R. The old one was broken. That's a different story that I will address as soon as I have my setup back. But Let's say I didn't have a mixer for 2 months and 3 weeks although this was a warranty case..

and I want to restore it instead of starting from scratch because I had a great setting for my band including almost 30 tracks and inear routing for 8 musicians, eq settings tweaked by great technitians, all set to go with great sound. I thought that is the sense of a backup. do I have to go back to an old firmware? Sounds like I shouldn't update to UC 3 yet before I recovered right?

I did a firmware reset. Now the backup is loading, but not correctly. I can see some settings recovered but just partial. maybe 10% of the setup. And this message is popping up that I should update the firmware. I guess I have to update to the firmware that was installed about 11 months ago. How can I do this?
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Try to restore the scenes via UC 2 and the previous firmware and also store the Zero Out scene separate. Then do the update/upgrades and let UC Surface 3 do it's job. Everything should be there after the conversion. Be glad that you don't have to restore network settings... :mrgreen:
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I don't find previous firmware versions. Where can they be found?
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 2:58 pm
No problem. You find all firmwares in your account -> My Products -> StudioLive 32R -> Firmware. What you need is

StudioLive 32 Series III Rack Firmware v1.10.15552
Jan, 24th 2019
by matthewgorman on Wed May 15, 2019 2:59 pm
andresrowig wroteI don't find previous firmware versions. Where can they be found?

Should be in your presonus account. Link for previous versions is just below current version. Text is small, so easy to miss

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm
ok, I can load backups now, but still very premature scenes show up. like what I had set up in the first days. Maybe I did not store the actual setting in a scene. Wasn't it then backuped? What is the zero out scene mean?
by matthewgorman on Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 pm
Zero out is a reset of all parameters.

When a scene is saved, everything is saved regarding mixer state. There are filters to not recall certain elements, but qll elements are there. Might be a good idea to open a ticket. Ts may have better tools to get this figured out

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm
do I get it right? Let's say, I only saved scenes for test in the very beginning, then I worked out a big setup but never stored it in a scene. Then later I did a backup. Was the current setting (not saved in a scene) not backed up? Would the sd card backup be any different? I don't know yet how to recall this. The files look different. They are called

MixerState.bsettings.zz
Settings.bsettings.zz
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Backups can only be done from stored scences (now "projects"). Temporary settings get lost when a stored scene is recalled. I am sorry, but this looks like all your work was in vain. The broken mixer has caused a lot of problems.

The Zero Out scene was part of firmware 1.x and could not be overwritten or removed. But probably it could also not be part of the back-ups. But it's there with the "old" firmware and UC Surface. The reason why I mentioned this is that at the moment (new firmware and UC Surface) it is not possible to fully reset the mixer. This will be addressed in a future firmware update, but not in the firmware update coming soon, mabye next week tuesday.
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 4:26 pm
so temporary settings as you call it are not backed up as well? Not only overwritten by recalled scenes? Since I have a new device, recalling a scene was not the problem but not saving the temporary setting in a scene before backup? This would be very said. Not only did I have to live without a mixer for almost 3 months, I have to start from scratch?? Since I did a reset on the old device, there is also no chance that presonus can restore the settings on the old device, nor does the sd card backup performed during device reset contain the setup? This is extremely missleading. You can unplug the device and wake it up with a (temporary) setting anytime but this does not get backed up at all??
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 5:12 pm
Misleading? I don't think so. We are talking about standard computer behavior. You can only back-up and recall stored files. The mixers do keep all changes reliably, but only until another scene is loaded or something drastic like a crash happens (or electricity suddenly off...). There is no "dump file" or something then. The SD card is just a storage medium. It's not active on its own.

I know this is not "nice" for you now, especially as you haven't done anything wrong. Poop happens, so the only thing you can do is start from the scratch with the new firmware and UC version. My experience is that the Series III rack mixers are as rock solid as the RM rack mixers (I had two of them). My 32R is used very often and has become something like my backbone.

The mixers and personal mixers have a chip on board, enabling them to keep local settings. But anything "new" (like loading a new scene or making a reset) wipes out all temporary settings. Maybe you are able to remember what settings have been made. Start with drums and what the drummer heard in his in ear mix. Then continue with the other muscians. Do not care for sound processing too much. Do the levels first (gains, faders) and then hear what might be needed.
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm
my setting was stored on the device. Electricity suddenly off wouldn't have been a problem. I carried the device to shows back and forth unplugged for over a year and the settings were there so they were stored in a non-volatile memory on the device. Including that memory area in the backup would just be logical. This is misleading. Anyway, I am just restarting. The other question is why the exchange took almost 3 months. Things are adding up you know...
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm
Everybody will understand that you're not a PreSonus fan at the moment, especially because of the hardware problems. There were times when PreSonus was watching the Forums and could help with this kind of things. But that's long ago. The users have to deal with the things alone.

I had an idea. You say that you have stored that one scene that contained all settings. Have you saved this scene on an iPad or a computer? The place for that is called "local" in UC Surface. If you find that scene somewhere on a device, you can send it back to the mixer and get it converted to the Series III format.

:thumbup:
by andresrowig on Wed May 15, 2019 5:58 pm
I am saying that the current settings are stored on the device without doing anything special. When you shut down the device or even unplug it and start it up again it will wake up with the latest settings. But this setting seems not to be backed up.

I did a factory reset with sd card inserted which is supposed to dump a backup on the sd card. I have these files but don't know how to reload them and I wonder if they contain the missing data.
by wahlerstudios on Thu May 16, 2019 5:18 am
There is an article in Knowledge Base describing the procedure of a Factory Reset with a SD card inserted:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... tory-Reset
StudioLive Series III Console - Factory Reset
"NOTE: As of Firmware 1.4.12465, if you have an SD card inserted in the mixer when you perform a Factory Reset, the mixer will also back up all of it's user data to the SD card, into a folder named /a/Presonus/. This is intended as a troubleshooting tool for Tech Support. Copying of the user data means that in this case Factory Reset will take longer than usual, so be patient. You can delete or disregard this folder, unless instructed otherwise by Tech Support. Once the boot completes, your mixer is now reset."

More specific for Series III rack mixers:
StudioLive Series III Rack - Factory Reset and Firmware Revert
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... are-Revert

Also helpful:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ave-Recall
UC Surface 2.0 - Scene Save/Recall
"Power User Tip: When a Scene is stored to your Local storage on a computer, you can find the scene located in: [user]\Documents\Presonus\StudioLive AI\Library\Presets\Scene"

The articles always talk about "re-load any Scenes or Presets back to the mixer that you saved to your computer from before in UC Surface", which is what I am trying to say. Of course you can use the mixer for 100 years or so without storing any scene. Just when something "extreme" happens, all temporary settings wil be gone. Only stored settings can be recalled.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to SAVE SETTINGS (scenes, presets) on the mixer and on one or even two "local" devices like tablet or computer. Once a scene (now project) is stored, simply drag it to the "local" destination in UC Surface. This is the last thing I do when finishing the preparations for a gig / event. I always have my scene (project) stored at least two times. I also use several scenes, which I just recall and change according to what is needed on that day. I don't store the "day settings". The next time I need the scene I recall the stored scene again.

This is enough "security". I do not use backups at all, because I simply don't need it. Not in 10 years of using StudioLive mixers...

17 posts
Page 1 of 1