6 posts
Page 1 of 1
im running 2 firepods daisy chained together, 1 of them is running of a 15vac wall wart and the other is running off of a 13-18vdc supply. the second unit seems like it doesn't want to run off the dc supply, so as I have a spare 16vac wall wart supply from a studio channel laying around, can I run the 2nd firepod of this 16vac supply or do I need to get another 15vac supply?
by cristofe on Wed May 15, 2019 9:52 am
If the your studio channel supply is a from a Presonus Studio Channel and has the same specs as your other Firepod and the same connector I would recommend using that. No need to buy another supply. A couple other tips....the Pod with the lower serial# should go first in the chain. Also the Firepod and FP10 are physically the same. But the FP10 runs different firmware. They must both be Firepods or FP10's. Here's the tricky part. It's possible to upgrade a Firepod to FP10 status by updating the firmware. If one of your units has been upgraded you will need to upgrade the other or they will not sync.

In any case, yes use the 16VAC power supply and see if they work daisy-chained. If one is showing up as an FP10 you will need to upgrade the other one. I can help you with that if you need to but, hopefully, they are both still just regular Firepods.

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by rockgod212 on Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm
I do believe they are both still firepods, as I sent one back to have it reverted back to the firepod status and they show up as firepods, I will have to check. what or why does the serial # order affect things? on pod 2 one of the fire wire ports is dead, so I have to run it accordingly.

here is whats going on, 1 firepod using the 15vac supply will sync when used alone, then when the other pod is running off the dc supply and daisy chained they both keep cutting in and out of sync- then they stay out of sync and the pod using the dc supply wont sync when used alone either. now I have tried using the 15vac supply with pod 2 and it stays synced alone. I had gotten another 15vac supply and they stayed synced up together perfectly, but somehow that supply got smoked when using it on a bluetube box, so that's why I went back to the dc supply on pod 2.

so in the end I have another 15vac supply coming, so we will see what it does. its just strange how the ac or dc supply is affecting the sync.
by cristofe on Wed May 22, 2019 1:13 pm
what or why does the serial # order affect things?

I'm not exactly sure as to the what or the why. All I know is that PRESONUS tech support has stated that this is how it needs to be MANY times in MANY threads. As they designed these units I'm sure there is a technical reason but I neither know nor, frankly, care what it might be. I'm willing to accept the manufacturer's advice....when it works....as it does in this case.

its just strange how the ac or dc supply is affecting the sync.

No, not at all. Though many devices can run standalone on either ac or dc, ( IF their internal
components are designed to do so), trying to sync two units together with one on ac and one
on dc is the electronic equivalent of trying to force a square peg in a round hole. Frankly, I'd be REALLY surprised if they DID maintain sync. I'm sure things will work better with the new AC supply....try not to blow this one up.....LOL!! :mrgreen:

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

If you have not already done so please READ THE MANUAL!

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by rockgod212 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:52 pm
I replaced the DC power supply with another AC type and both units synch up properly now. love these units.
by cristofe on Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:08 pm
I thought that might be the case. Glad to hear you're up and running.
Yup, I've owned quite a few Firepod/FP10 and they're great units. And
now that firewire is falling out of favor they can often be had
silly cheap on fleabay. The only reason I stopped using them is that I
moved to Firestudio 26x26 units as they offer more connectivity options.
They are also long discontinued. I love mine and hate the thought of
using anything else!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1