Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi people
i am having the following (complicated) issue: I run plugins during live shows inserted in each channel of a RM16 via multirack, running on a mac mini. This works well, but sometimes i hear a kind of digital distortion with the result of a delayed signal, about 330ms. I usually run buffer sizes around 64 samples.
When i look on the meters in capture, all seems ok, but the input AND output in multirack are delayed. When i change the buffer size, everything is okay again. i can also replicate this issue using studio one as my plugin host. Running capture or not makes no difference. When i unplug and replug the firewire connection, the problem is gone for a few days, then happens again. A new cable did not solve that. Has anone experienced something like this?
thx

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies DVX 10(2x), DVX8(4x)
db technologies S08(2x)

https://www.waves.com/r/bqvxon
by wahlerstudios on Mon May 06, 2019 8:59 am
If it was not the FireWire cable, then it might be the FireWire port(s) on the option card. There has been a problem with sockets becoming loose or even being pushed inside. Just have a look at the option card (pull it out of the rack mixer) and also check the second FireWire port. The second port can still work fine while the first is having problems.
by PAE Seth on Tue May 07, 2019 10:32 am
You are running more than one audio program that accesses the FireWire driver at the same time? (Capture + Multirack)

That's not supported.

If you want to record and process, then use a DAW only.

You may want to test this with another computer. If it's not reproducible on another system, then it's not the hardware most likely.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by Friedhelm on Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am
Hey,
thank you for your response!
i asked the question with running capture and multirack simultaneously to the support, they said it would not be an issue (capture and S1 at the same time does not work), and indeed i worked for years like this without an issue. Added to that, the problem exists with or without capture as well as running studio one as my plugin host alone.
The other thing is, the audio arrives always on time in capture, and at the same time it arrives delayed in my plugin host. I tend to blame the core audio driver on my mac mini, because my macbook never failed. Hopefully the video attached demonstrates this...

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_0088 (1).m4v [ 84.86 MiB | Viewed 2928 times ]

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies S08(2x)

by Friedhelm on Fri May 10, 2019 12:48 pm
NEWS!

today i could replicate the problem with my 1602 firewire using the bad mac mini. So it is not the RM Mixer, which makes me happy. The opposite test, my RM 16 connected to my ancient mac book worked well. I think i have a mac mini for sale :mrgreen:

SL1602
RM16AI
Nowsonic stage router
StudioOne pro2
mac book pro 2009
ipad4
db technologies S08(2x)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1