Temblor T10 and Temblor T8
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Please help a newb. I purchased the Eris E3.5s and have them connected to a mid-2017 iMac using the included 3.5 mm to 2 RCA cord. The sound is amazing. I just purchased a Temblor T8 to add to the set-up, and it will arrive tomorrow.

What is the best way to hook everything together? I know to go from iMac to T8 to E3.5 (Left). My question is does it make a difference in sound quality if I use the 3.5 mm to 2 RCA into the T8 and then use a Dual RCA to RCA into the E3.5 or is it better to use 3.5 mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Stereo Breakout Cable from the iMac to the T8 and then use a Dual 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TRS into the E3.5.

Thanks!
by matthewgorman on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 am
This is a question of balanced vs unbalanced connections. TRS and XLR cables are balanced connections, which allow for longer cables without external noise interference. RCA cables are unbalanced connections, so longer cables can potentially pick up electrical interference.

This may not cause a quality of sound problem, but it could cause undue noise coming out of the speakers (like an amplifier buzz). The correct way would be to get a small interface that would connect to the MAC via USB, and use that as the default soundcard.

However, that interface may not be in the budget just yet. I would use the 3.5 to dual RCA to the sub, using the shortest cables possible for your setup. Then run the TRS 1/4" out from the sub to the speakers. Use as few unbalanced connections as you can would be the goal.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by davidkramer3 on Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm
Thank you for your guidance, Matt.

The T8 arrived today and since the only cables I have on hand are RCA, I have 3.5 mm from the iMac to the T8 RCA inputs and RCA out of the sub to the E3.5 RCA inputs. I have the High Pass Filter turned on and the Low Pass Filter set to 80 Hz. If I turn the Input Gain up even a little above -30 dB the bass gets too boomy. Let me know if any of this is incorrect. I will purchase the TRS cables you suggested ASAP.

As far as an interface, what are your thoughts on SMSL AD18?

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-AD18-Amplif ... way&sr=8-3

By the way, I'm super happy with the addition of the T8!
by matthewgorman on Thu May 02, 2019 9:34 am
Well there are always adjustments bringing something like that into a room, so you will have to play around a bit for the best settings.

I am not sure what you are referencing with the HP and LP filters. If you are running the upper speakers from the output of the sub, then you only need to set the crossover on the sub. That will filter the signal going to the uppers, so there shouldn't be anything to set there.

The product you linked was not what I was referencing, but may work. I am not sure what you are using the system for, so its hard to recommend what you would need. Most times these speakers are in a studio-ish environment, so my recommendation was for a small studio interface. You can get the presonus audio box for less than what you linked, and if this is for recording, you get a copy of studio one artist with that.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Audio-Interfaces

Lower priced options are towards the bottom.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by matthewgorman on Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 am
Actually, on second look, the link you posted will not work. That is a powered amp, and you have powered speakers. You need a unit that puts out a line level for powered speakers.

Matt

S1Pro V5

5 posts
Page 1 of 1