Share your songs!
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
It's been a while since I've posted a Made In Studio One song. This will be the last song on a project I started a couple of years ago with an old band mate. I'm trying to finish this mix and would really appreciate any feedback - and happily return the favor. TIA!

https://soundcloud.com/mbd414/listen-to ... v9/s-FlrZF

-- updated mix ---

Mastered version:
https://komplex2.bandcamp.com/track/listen-to-the-rain
Last edited by miked7 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by commonchild on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am
Beautiful song, man...I bet this was a lot of fun to work on. Guitars sound lovely. Vocals sound really good too. I like the mellow style.

by miked7 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am
Thanks man, I appreciate the listen and the kind words. Yes, this was a fun one - and a lot of work. In addition to me (bass/production) and my buddy (singer/guitars) I was lucky enough to get a drummer and a phenomenal guitar player from another forum to play on this.

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
by oliver p. on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 am
Just wanted to listen, but where's the track?

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by miked7 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am
Thanks Oliver - I updated the mix and didn't update this thread. Fixed now... :)

---- - ----
by oliver p. on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 pm
Very nice songwriting. The hook line went straight to my head and i like the instrumentation of the track quite much. Good and enjoyable guitar solo as well :+1

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by miked7 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:22 am
Hey Oliver, thanks for the kind words! You just made my day. :)

This is the last of 4 songs me and and old bandmate from 30 years ago have redone and completes our EP on BandCamp in my signature. This one was especially fun because I got a drummer and a spectacular guitar player to join in. It was a lot of work, but I'm happy with the results, especially the new guitar parts. :punk: Bringing other musicians into the project really added new dimensions and new ideas to this particular song. The original, which we actually never really "finished" in the 9th track on the EP.

Thanks again! I appreciate the listen. :)

---- - ----
by Bbd on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 pm
I like the song and playing.
Mix could be better.
If you sent this in for mastering, I think it would turn out better.
Overall, you could have more clarity in mids and high end.
At 3.:22, when you say "Hoping", there is an audio blurp. It's like you edited the audio and pasted in a section but it is not yet tight enough.
Play from 3:20 - 3:26 and you will hear it.

Best I can offer is to listen to some YouTube music that is in your feel and A/B it against your mix.
I think you will then recognize the frequency response.

Good luck with it.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by miked7 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:47 pm
@Bbd - I really appreciate the listen and your input! When you say " you could have more clarity in mids", are you saying that I may have"scooped" it too much, something where a simple bus correction could help, or are you are hearing some masking or lack of separation?

I hear the blip at 3:23. I've probably listened to this thing a hundred times and never picked up on that.

I'll try and find a good comp song and give a listen...

Thanks again!

---- - ----
by Bbd on Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:50 am
Hi. Good that you hear the audio blip.
For EQ, just compare to some good commercial releases.
I would re-master your song in S1's Project.
If you can download the commercial release, add it to Project so you can easily A/B it.
That would point you in the right direction for final mastering.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by miked7 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 am
I uploaded a new mix in the first post. I comped against a song by The Cure during off The Wish CD and another B-side from the same time-frame. I also pushed the mix to -14 LUFS and did some minor EQ tweaks after that on the Project page. Hopefully it's better!

As for the blip. There were no edits in that section, but I had duped the vocal a couple of times and slipped each of the dups a few milliseconds and I'm wondering if it may have been a phasing issue. (?) In any event, I restructured that section to only have 1 backing track then ran it through the Boz ProVocative plugin and let it do the doubling. I also added some energy to the drums with a parallel bus.

Thanks again for the input!

---- - ----

11 posts
Page 1 of 1