16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Please can somebody help me to tell me how can i send more drums inputs to only one channel to earmix 16m? I have StudioLive 24R and earmix have only 16 channels. In my band i have more instruments than 16 and need to send drums (8 microphones) to only 1 channel. I dont need to have separatly kick,snare, toms on my earmix. I need to send there also strings, sax, keyboards, piano, bass, vocals, guitars.... but have only 16 channels on my earmix...thats why i need to join drums and also strings under one channel in the earmix.... I was reading manuálu and watching every video, but nobody explain it for me.
Every video is only with using StudioLive but i have the rack version and using it with UC Surface app.
PLEASE HELP ME :cry:
by adamfoldes on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm
Setup the EarMix16M to receive the flexmixes from your 24r. In the UC Surface app you can setup your custom mixes. If you’re happy with mono, you can have up to 16. For example Mix 1 is the drumkit, Mix 2 is Strings, etc...
That is actually how the manual explains it also.

SL32III | SL32R | E16M | Apollo8 | Genelec 8040 | Mac mini | Studio One 4 | AIR15 | Mackie Thump12
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:53 pm
Could you make a list of your inputs from 1 to 24? I suppose, you are a drummer. Would you like to hear your drum set in stereo?
by jozefholly on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 pm
Thank you very much, but how i route than for example Mix 1 to earmix channel1, Mix 2 to channel 2.....?
Is really hard for me to figure it out without video or some pics where exactly to do it ...

I am a proffessional piano player and now i want have my own in ear monitoring on stage.

I want to have for example this setup for earmix 16M:
Channel 1 - kick
Channel 2 - snare
Channel 3 - toms
Channel 4 - OH
Channel 5+6 Piano
Channel 7 - bass
Channel 8+9 - keyboards
Channel 10-12 - Vocals
Channel 13 - Sax
Channel 14 - Guitar
Channel 15 - drum pad
Channel 16 - strings quintet
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks. Now I see what you want and need. As a start, I would change the list a little bit in order to able to use the "group" feature of the EarMix, which is a very helpful feature. But it only works with odd/even channels. The list would be as follows:

Channel 1 - kick
Channel 2 - snare
Channel 3 - toms
Channel 4 - oh
Channel 5 - drum pad
Channel 6 - bass
Channel 7 - piano left (grouped with 8)
Channel 8 - piano right
Channel 9 - keys left (grouped with 10)
Channel 10 - keys right
Channel 11 - vocals 1
Channel 12 - vocals 2
Channel 13 - vocals 3
Channel 14 - sax
Channel 15 - guitar
Channel 16 - strings quintett

This works for channels 1-15, but how do we get five strings to channel 16? One approach could be to use a flex mix (let's say aux 16) and route this aux to AVB send 16. Now you can send all strings via aux 16 to channel 16.

By default, the EarMixer is routed to AVB sends 1-8 and 9-16, which corresponds to the first 16 channels of your 24R (and any Series III mixer). The flex mixes are by default routed to AVB sends 41-48 and 49-56. Using aux 16 as input for channel 16 means to route its AVB send destination to 16 instead of 56.

In this case there is now an AVB conflict between your mixer's input channel 16 being patched to aux send 16 and aux 16, also being patched to AVB send 16. The solution is easy: simply deselect AVB send 16 for your mixer's channel 16.
by jozefholly on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:39 am
Thank you very much, but i think is too much for me, because i realy dont know, what are flex mixes (i can only change between aux, sub, and matrix - and eather dont know how to use it for situation, that i can route more signals to one earmix channel) ... maybe i send the earmix back, because is too complicated for me without video tutorials, what i missing from presonus.
I realy dont know how i send (route) more mic inputs to just one channel of EarMix. WHY THE PRESONUS DONT MAKE A VIDEO???? OR MORE VIDEOS, HOW TO WORK WITH UC SURFACE. They only show videos with StudioLive mixes, but i have rack version and will be nice to see some videos with UC Surface.
Sometimes i dont understand, why is it so complicated. There are in UC Surface soooo much settings to set, but for me useles in live situations. Every artist wont just send some solo instrtument to earmix and ( if we have more instrument than 16) also some grouped instruments to 1 channel of earmix. Thats all.
Thats why i was buying the EarMix 16. I dont need a thousends of things, just these, what are important for live concerts.
I lost 2 days to find a solution to work with the earmix, but it dont work for me.
But i must say one more time “THANK YOU” to you guys, for your help and i am realy happy that you was triyng to help me. Thank you for your time
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:11 am
Try think of solving this in three steps:

The first step is choosing the AVB streams the 16M will be listening to. Note that this is just choosing the lines, not the content. I suggest you go for high numbers (e.g. AVB 49-56 and AVB 57-64). That way the mixer channels can stay on AVB 1-32.

The second step is creating submixes on your 24R. It works best when you do this in stereo pairs. You can use the four fixed subs and you can also use the ‘flex’ mixes. E.g. link mixes 1 and 2, set them as a subgroup, and create a stereo drums mix from all the drum mics. The same way you can use mixes 3 and 4 for a strings mix, etc. You can use these subgroups in your 24R’s main mix (instead of sending each separate channel to the main mix) and you can also send them to your 16M.

The third step is choosing what you want to send to your 16M. For that you go to the 24R’s digital patching section (in audio routing). in digital patching go to “AVB sends” and scroll down to the AVB streams you chose in step 1. For each of these streams you can choose what you want the 24R to put on them. It can be the mixer’s channels, FXes, main outputs, the fixed sub mixes and the ‘flex’ mixes. That way you can make a clever selection for your 16M’s 16 inputs. Just make sure, as mentioned by Wahler, that stereo pairs must be on adjacent odd-even channels to allow the 16M to link them as a stereo input.

The rest is up to the 16M, where you can create your in-ear mix from the sources you picked in step 3. From what you wrote before I take that you have one 16M, but if you have more than one then you can use one bank of 8 AVB streams to use in all 16Ms, and choose a different second bank of 8 per 16M to customize the input selection per earmix.

Hope that helps :)
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:45 am
It's true, this part of the "ecosystem" needs some knowledge and deeper understanding. We can give you some advice, but when you're not familiar with your mixer and UC Surface, it's better to keep things simple. When it comes to networking, nothing is "plug & play". Therefore it will probably be better to just use a tablet and UC Surface. All you need is a headphone amplifier and then you can mix all your 24 channels and 4 FX on Main level.

PreSonus calls them Flex Mixes and they can be either aux mixes, subgroups or matrice mixes (all linked or unlinked), which you can send to the physical outputs of your mixer or via AVB network to the ecosystem (consoles, rack mixers, stageboxes, personal mixers). Additionally, the rack mixers and most of the consoles have 4 "fixed" subgroups built-in, which can be used in several ways (see the post of SwitchBack).

Give your 16M one more chance. Obviously, you need some time to get familiar with digital mixing and networking, so I suggest to use the 16M as a "simple" headphone amplifier for a while. This is the way to set it up (with UC Surface 3.0):

1) Connect rack mixer and 16M via CAT5E/CAT6 ethernet cable

2) UC: Reset your mixer = reset project and scene
3) UC: Link Aux 15 + 16, select Pre1 or Pre2
4) Start your 16M, reset your 16M (Press Store + Recall + Button 1)

5) UC: Go to Settings, click on rider "Network", your EarMix should show up under "EarMix Setup"
5a) now select "AVB Send 41-48" for "1-8 Source" and "AVB Send 49-56" for "9-16 Source"
5b) confirm the settings via "Apply All"

6) UC: Go back to your Aux Mix 15+16, select the mix output, go to its settings and open rider "Routing"

7) UC: Select "O" (Output), select "AVB 15" for "L" (left) and "AVB 16" for "R" (right)

Now make a mix in Aux 15+16 and raise the output fader. You will immediately see some input on channels 15+16 on your EarMixer. Link the channels, adjust the volumes - now you can listen to your stereo aux mix with all 24 input channels and 4 effects!

Remember to "open" panning in linked input channels. By default, in flex mixes two linked channels are centered.

Just to explain why this works: AVB Sends 41-48 and 49-56 are default settings for the 16 flex mixes. The EarMix just needs to receive these sends. This is what is available now on your EarMix (aux = flex mix):

01 = Aux 1
02 = Aux 2
03 = Aux 3
04 = Aux 4
05 = Aux 5
06 = Aux 6
07 = Aux 7
08 = Aux 8

09 = Aux 9
10 = Aux 10
11 = Aux 11
12 = Aux 12
13 = Aux 13
14 = Aux 14
15 = Aux 15 (linked with 16)
16 = Aux 16

Again, this is only one way among many others how to use the EarMixers. Get used to the way it "thinks", be creative, try settings, get reverb involved - the EarMix 16M is a wonderful tool for musicians. It's like an instrument. It starts soundíng when you are "in" it.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 am
The manual doesn't mention this feature, but you can use the EarMix 16M also as "normal" headphone amplifier, without this whole network mess. Connect a stereo mix to the "Aux Input" (1/8” stereo line input) on the backside and enjoy the good sound... ;-) Only the knobs "Aux Input" and "Phones" of the 16M are active in this mode.

Simply connect Aux 15+16 of your 24R with the 16M's Aux Input. It doesn't get faster and easier...
by jozefholly on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 am
THANK YOU guys for your help!!! Its so nice that there are good people to helping others!
With your help i was succesfull and now i finish the routing to earmix. I have for now everything in mono, but i am happy. Now i have every instrument sending to earmix. The drums i have splited to 3 channels, strings sextet sub to another channel and now all 24 inputs are on 16channel earmix.
One more time THANK YOU !!!!

One question, or two ;-). Should i do firmware update for EarMix? And secon, how can i store my UC Surface presset and transfer to other ipad? Is it possible?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am
That's god news! Thanks for sharing. We are glad to help and invite everybody to not only participate by reading, but also share their own knowledge and experience with other users. Sharing is much more fun than reading... ;-)

Absolutely, you should immediately update the EarMix firmware. The new firmware (January 2019) brings indredible 10 dB more volume to the EarMixers!

There is no way to send presets/scenes to another iPad, but you can copy everything from the mixer to other iPads or computers. Just copy it to the "local" device. It's the rider Import/Export in Projects/Scenes.
by jozefholly on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Thank you Wahler 🙏🏻 I updated the EarMix and on friday we have rehearsal with my drummer and bass player and we want to set our inear monitor. So often we need too much time before the concert starts. Thats why i bough the 24R mixer and also 3x ART 8 microphone splitter. I will save the inear monitor and that will save our time drasticaly by souncheck. Next week also preparing the inear monitor for other players (keyb. , Sax, strings ......)
Now i need to find out, how can i add the Reverb to my vocal channel on EarMix. Until now i dont have luck to add the reverb 🙈
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:17 pm
by jozefholly on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:16 am
I have another question about EarMix 16...
Can i routing the output signal (from EarMix) through the same cat5e cable back to StudioLive 24R?
I have inear monitor (wireless) in my rack mount (where i have my R24) and want to send the otput to the transmitter. I dont want to put my inear to the EarMix.

Or is the Mix Output on the R24 the same as from my EarMix?
For example i have my mix on Mix Output 1 (i mean in the UC Surface app) and send it to the EarMix16 trough Cat5e.
Is the Mix Output 1 on the 24R exactly the same as on my EarMix otput?

Can i send the signal from R24 (mix out 1) to the in ear transmitter and will have the same mix as i take the sound directly form EarMix16 headphone output?

I mean if i change volume, pan, eq on the EarMix it will be the same on Mix Output 1 on the R24? Or i need to routing somehow the EarMix sound back to R24?

Sorry for my english, is not my home language 🙏🏻😉
Tahnk you for help.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 am
You are always welcome to ask questions. The answers will help not only you, but all the readers of the thread. This is what makes a public forum to such a great invention.

Basicallly, the outputs of your 24R are totally independent from what goes to the Earmixers. They are PHYSICALLY connected, while the EarMixers use a NETWORK CONNECTION. If you want the same signals going to EarMixers and the physical outputs, you have to know what the AVB stream are. I make this a little more general, so that you can see the overall default settings:

AVB 01-08 INPUTS
AVB 09-16 INPUTS
AVB 17-24 INPUTS
AVB 25-32 INPUTS

AVB 33+34 AUX IN 1
AVB 35+36 AUX IN 2
AVB 37+38 TAPE IN
AVB 39+40 MAIN L/R

AVB 41-48 AUX 01-08
AVB 49-56 AUX 09-16
AVB 57-64 free

As you can see, Aux 1 is sending its output on AVB stream 41, so if you select AVB banks 41-48 as source 1 for your EarMix, Auxes 1-8 will be available on channels 1-8 of your EarMix. But that's probably not what you want. You can also route ONLY Aux 1 (AVB 41) to channel 1 (AVB 1) and use AVB 2-8 for something different. If you want to listen to your auxes in stereo (linked), you have to send AVB 41+42 to AVB 1+2. Switching left and right is done by patching. Just send AVB 42 to AVB 1 and AVB 41 to AVB 2. Now left is right and right is left... ;-)

In this case, the volume fader also affects what you hear through EarMix, because you are sending a MIX to the EarMix and not single inputs. Therefore averything done in your mix will be heard through EarMix. It's exactly what you hear via IEM and auxes 1+2.

It's not uncommon to send different kind of signals to the EarMixers. The most effective way is to use mostly aux/subgroup/matrix mixes and add some single inputs (muscial events like soloists and/or your own instrument).
by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 am
jozefholly wroteI have another question about EarMix 16...
Can i routing the output signal (from EarMix) through the same cat5e cable back to StudioLive 24R?
No, the EarMixes only have AVB inputs, no AVB outputs. Mixes made on the 16M stay local on the 16M.
jozefholly wroteI have inear monitor (wireless) in my rack mount (where i have my R24) and want to send the otput to the transmitter. I dont want to put my inear to the EarMix.
In that case the 16M isn't the best solution for you. For what you want you should reserve a pair of 24R auxes for your in-ear mix, connect those aux outputs to the transmitter, and control the stereo aux mix through QMix-UC on your phone or tablet (or through UC Surface on your tablet.)

16 posts
Page 1 of 1