Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I need to collaborate with someone on Notion documents. Can we share then directly with iCloud? Or do we need to use Dropbox, or email it back and forth?

This person is a senior and an accomplished arranger. His hands shake now, so he finds copying music difficult. He bought a MacBook Pro and Sibelius to help overcome the disability, but couldn’t really figure out how to make it work. I convinced him to use Notion on an iPad instead, as it’s more intuitive. He can zoom in and touch, and he may even use the handwriting feature. Notion also doesn’t suffer from hundreds of thousands of features and options, so I find it much simpler than Sibelius or Finale. It has almost all the features I need but not thousands of other features cluttering the UI.

One of my arguments to him was he could focus on the arrangement and content, and I could then tweak the notation for him. I have Notion on the computer (mac) and the iPad, so I’m set up fairly well to help him. But, I want an easy workflow for us. If we could both edit the same document on iCloud or Dropbox I’d probably setup a scheduled backup so that we maintain old versions (email back-and-forth would otherwise have the advantage of an audit trail).

Is anyone else collaborating on Notion documents? How do you do it?
by ChrisS23 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:32 am
As long as you both have an Apple ID, then you can share individual documents from iCloud with him. This would synchronise via iCloud within the Notion app itself, and also with iCloud Drive running on Mac or Windows. There is also a conflict handler within iCloud that will notify you too.

The benefit of Dropbox would be that you can share a folder of files - however it's more manual on import/export of Dropbox files into Notion iOS.

I'd suggest trialling both with some non-critical files and see what might work for you?

Best,
Chris

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/02/0 ... ive-files/

Product Manager - Notion
PreSonus Audio Electronics, Inc.
http://www.presonus.com/products/notation-software
by jabraham on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 am
Thanks! I was hoping iCloud would let us do that. We will collaborate that way and I’ll make copies frequently in case something goes wrong.
by jabraham on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:40 am
ChrisS23 wroteAs long as you both have an Apple ID, then you can share individual documents from iCloud with him. This would synchronise via iCloud within the Notion app itself, and also with iCloud Drive running on Mac or Windows. There is also a conflict handler within iCloud that will notify you too.

The benefit of Dropbox would be that you can share a folder of files - however it's more manual on import/export of Dropbox files into Notion iOS.

I'd suggest trialling both with some non-critical files and see what might work for you?

Best,
Chris

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/02/0 ... ive-files/

@ChrisS23 hmm, after accepting the iCloud share invitation it ended up in my iCloud drive at the root level. When I imported it into Notion on the iPad, it offered to copy it into my Notion folder in iCloud. I clearly don't want a copy made, as I want to collaborate on the original copy. So, I used my Mac to copy it into the iCloud Notion folder. But, in the Files app on the iPad it still shows up at the root level, and I can't open it on the iPad directly from Notion.

Interestingly, on the website iCloud.com, it doesn't show up at all.

I can open it with Notion on the Mac whether it's in the root folder or the Notion folder. But, I'd like to be able to open his score with my Notion on my iPad, which I suppose requires it to be in my iCloud Notion folder in a way that iPad Notion can see it. Any suggestions?
by erinbloke1 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:12 pm
Allow him to edit the copy, then have him reupload, then you work off of a copy of that (hopefully that makes sense, and wouldn't cause you too much headache)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1