StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
If I want to use the RM as a stage box (slave) connected by Cat5 to the SL at FOH, will I control the 16 RM channels using 16 channels on my SL mixer? If so, is there a way to choose which channels will correspond (e.g. RM 1-8 = SL 17-24)? If not, can they be controlled only by networking with the UC app? I should be able to network the two using only a cat5 (no avb switch box) as long as I put the IP into static mode, right?
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:52 am
I'm a former owner of SL 244AI and RM32AI, so I still remember some things, but maybe not all details... ;-) Adding a stagebox to the mixer is not called "cascading" and there is no Master and no Slave - just mixer and stagebox. A direct connection with fixed IP addresses is all you need, besides the AVB card for your mixer. The "normal" card is not AVB enabled. For this setup you don't need an AVB switch.

In your combination, channels are routed 1 to 16, outputs 1 to 8. There is no way to change this setting. All inputs and outputs (auxes) are controlled by the SL 2442AI. A RM32AI would give you more option. It is not possible to use two stageboxes.

As far as I remember you would need an AVB switch to use the RM16AI as monitor mixer. In this case you can also use the Main level of the monitor mixer as separate/additional stereo mix. This allows you to use the 8 more input channels of a RM32AI. You have access to this mix via the headphones out.

Hope this helps.
by charlessnow1 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:11 pm
That is helpful. Thank you. Can I do the same thing, as a stage box, wirelessly?
by wahlerstudios on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:26 pm
No, mixer/stagebox combinations of all PreSonus series are wired. The only exception is the CS18AI controller (no mixer), which can wirelessly control one or two (cascaded) RM/RML rack mixers.
by lishlash on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:00 am
wahlerstudios wroteNo, mixer/stagebox combinations of all PreSonus series are wired. The only exception is the CS18AI controller (no mixer), which can wirelessly control one or two (cascaded) RM/RML rack mixers.

Is it possible to cascade two RM/RML rack mixers via direct connection, or does it require an AVB "dongle"?
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:16 am
Cascading is NOT done via FireWire, but via AVB, so you need a router and an AVB switch.
by lishlash on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am
How about connecting an RM16AI digital out to an RM32AI's digital inputs, in series, without cascading them? Would that require a PC firewire connection, taking 16-channel input from the RM16 and sending it via firewire to the RM32? I'm thinking a separate monitor/FOH situation, with the RM16 at side-stage running 16-channel monitor mixes, and forwarding its inputs digitally to an RM32 running FOH. Any reasonable way to make this work?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm
Cascading RM/RML mixers means that the "Master" mixer (the one with the FireWire connection) adds input channels 1 to 32 to the AVB system, while the "Slave" adds input channels 33 to 64. The Main l/r and Mono outputs and the 16 aux mixes are merged, not added. There was never the idea to separate the rack mixers as FOH or monitor mixers. The idea was to expand the inputs and control them via UC Surface (iPad, computer) or the CS18AI controller.

This explains why there are no options like Stagebox Mode or Monitor Mixer Mode. Even splitting of input channels was never possible. The only thing you can do is sending/routing input channels 1 to 32 to input channels 33 to 64 and use one set for FOH mix and the second set exclusively for auxes. This is a solution, but it's not very elegant.

I think the best solution for you would be to look for a CS18AI + AVB switch + router to complete the RM32AI as the ONLY rack mixer. If you don't need any audio at FOH and no remote control, you can leave the AVB switch away and connect CS18AI and RM32AI directly via Ethernet cable. The other option is to use the WiFi dongle with the CS18AI and connect the router to the RM32AI. This will allow additional remote control via tablets and smartphones. A tablet on stage can easily replace the "monitor mixer". It really doesn't need a second rack mixer.

And if all this is getting too expensive, think of a Series III solution...

8 posts
Page 1 of 1