StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have the AR 8. When I connect it to Capture or StudioOne the backing track I have playing on the 7/8 Super Channel is output to the main mix and not a dedicated track. I can't figure out how to isolate it. Am I missing something or is this a limitation of the hardware? I can certainly connect my iPhone via lightning -> 1/4" to 3/4 or 5/6, but I'd rather play the tracks wirelessly AND be able to mix the track volume later.
by SwitchBack on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:50 pm
The AR mixer hardware doesn't allow you to record the super channel directly.

There is however an option in the AR's driver called Loopback Recording (software reference manual, section 2.1.2), available for PC only. It comes with the risk of creating a feedback loop so be careful, but when you get it right it should allow you to record something from your computer into Capture or Studio One.

See if you can make that work (I'm on Mac so can't try). If you do then let us know how you did it :)
by dawncolford on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 am
+1 for a solution to loopback recording. I have tried and failed. There surely is someone on the forum or indeed someone from presonus who can show how this is achieved.

Kind regards
Dawn

P.S. I have put in a support request but no response to date. Waiting patiently.
by SwitchBack on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:49 am
OK, out of curiosity I borrowed a laptop and did some experimenting. Here’s what I found.

You definitely can’t loopback the Super Channel itself for recording, but you can record what’s sent from the computer to the usb button on the Super Channel. So 'loopback’ is from computer to AR (driver) back to computer. With the mixer connected to the computer the loopback options depend on your recording app, i.e. Studio One or Capture.

In Studio One start with an empty song. Go to menu Song -> Song Setup -> Audio I/O Setup and set up your audio inputs. You can take the default settings or you can customize the mono/stereo input mix and input names as you see fit, but at least add a stereo input for the mixer’s Virtual Inputs 1&2. Here’s a setup example:
input.png
Studio One Inputs Setup for AR8
Then go to the outputs tab. It’s important to set these up exactly as shown below, so Return 3/4 must come before Return 1/2 and the cue mix must be on Return 3/4. You can keep Audition on Return 3/4 but leave the usb 3/4 button on mixer channel 5/6 switched off for now.
return.png
Studio One Outputs Setup for AR8
Close the setup menu and then add audio tracks to the song for all the inputs you want to use from the ones you set up before. At least add tracks for mixer inputs 1 and 2 and the virtual input. At this point it may be a good idea to save what you have as a template. Then arm all tracks.
Now play something from say the internet to the Super Channel (AR8 Playback 1/2) on the mixer. With the usb button on the Super Channel switched on the audio should come through on the main output (after you turn up the channel and the main output). If you have a track for Input Main in Studio One then you should see a signal there too.
And finally for the loopback options: Open Universal Control to choose your loopback preference. 'Virtual' will send the internet audio to the Virtual In track. "Mix 1/2" wil mix the internet audio in on the track(s) with inputs 1&2. That’s it.
You can also hear what’s going on in Studio One through mixer channel 5/6. When you MUTE and PFL channel 5/6 on the mixer and then press the usb 3/4 button you’ll get the output from Studio One on the Phones and Control Room outputs. And the channel’s analog inputs are still sent to Studio One. That’s pretty neat.

In Capture setting things up is a lot easier as it is all done for you when you open a new session. But Capture does not create a track for the Virtual Input, which leaves you with only the "Mix 1/2" loopback option to use. Bummer.
by dawncolford on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am
Thanks so much for your efforts switchback. I don't pretend to understand all the terminology but can't wait to copy your setup and see if it makes sense.

Yours gratefully
Dawn
by dawncolford on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:51 am
PS will this be the same setup for the AR 16.
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:42 pm
dawncolford wrotePS will this be the same setup for the AR 16.

Mostly yes. The AR16 has more channels so the Inputs Setup list will be longer. And on the AR16 the usb 3/4 button is on channel 15/16.
by SwitchBack on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 pm
SwitchBack wroteIn Capture setting things up is a lot easier as it is all done for you when you open a new session. But Capture does not create a track for the Virtual Input, which leaves you with only the "Mix 1/2" loopback option to use. Bummer.
I entered a feature request for a stereo track in Capture for recording the Virtual Inputs. If you like then vote it up :)
by dawncolford on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm
I have voted up your request. Presonus support have told me there are no videos on the subject of setting loopback up. So I am going to set aside time and try and follow your instructions and maybe make a video if it works for me for the benefit of other users.
Thanks again
by joncrowder on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:30 pm
Question. If I have a midi keyboard controller connected to my computer via USB and my AR12 connected to the computer via USB, can I route the midi keyboard into my AR12 mixer via the Super Channel USB loop back function? Maybe the same Virtual or Channel 1/2 options you mentioned for how it would get routed.
My keyboard is coming today, so I'm very hopeful this routing would work.
by SwitchBack on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:42 pm
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

First thoughts:
The AR mixers don't do midi so it will have to be audio to the mixer. If it's midi your controller is sending then you can use it as a midi device in S1 and use the AR as S1's audio interface. If it's audio from the controller then you can use it as S1's audio input device and the AR as S1's audio output device.
by joncrowder on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:23 pm
SwitchBack,
That's helpful. I understand the ARs don't do midi.
I'll work with it and may post an update in a few days.
Thanks!
Jon

12 posts
Page 1 of 1