6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, I've been deliberating over a controller for weeks..

Couldn't convince myself of the X-Touch One (though I would like the time display) or the Faderport 2018. In both cases the layout deviates from the classic transport positioning I'm used to. So I ordered the Faderport 1 and I have it here in front of me in a box, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep or return it.

It's a relatively ancient piece of technology now, and the buttons are a bit clicky I can feel that through the bag, but it was cheap.. and is there any technical reason why I should not use it? Ie is there any functionality that you expect to see it lose in the next year or two??

Also I understand it's USB1, and I read conflicting reports about USB1 slowing down USB2/3 ports. Anyone know for sure?

TIA
by themaartian on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:36 am
USB hubs run at the speed of the slowest device plugged into them, so, yes, the hub the FaderPort is plugged into will run at only USB1 speed.

The only trip-up I've had with the old FaderPort occurred after my Tascam US-16x08 driver went nuts after the Win10 1809 update. I decided to try my old AudioBox 44VSL with the new drivers (without VSL support). That's working great. The side effect of installing Universal Control was that it noticed that my FaderPort ROM was v1.0, so it updated it to the latest (final) version.

Later on, I noticed that Gig Performer started generating audio (low freq noise) on the mains even when (apparently) no MIDI input was present.

Well, there was MIDI input present. It turned out that the FaderPort now sends an "I'm alive" message every couple of seconds or so. It's a C-2 Note On Velocity 127 message. My MIDI In blocks in Gig Performer were set to Omni. I had to go in and restrict the input to look only for my keyboard and to ignore the FaderPort.

Just be aware that is going on.

Otherwise, works great!

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by Skip Jones on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm
It depends on your workflow needs. I have a FP8 and a S III desk but also use a FP1 on my synth workstation to eliminate having to get off the bench and move to my studio desk for transport functions, etc. That can kill creativity. I still love my FP1.

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by darrenporter1 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:29 pm
If you are thinking at all that someday you might want to.move up to something like a FaderPort 8 then send it back and save-up a little longer. Used FP8's can be found at pretty decent discounts from a new one. The FP8 is a game-changer if you are a mixer. If you are pretty much just all about getting tracks down the the FP 1 is probably all you need.

If it were me and all I wanted was the single fader I would probably save up for the 2018 version or try and find one on the bay or reverb.com.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by garyshepherd on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:49 pm
Got the Faderport V2 today - works well and I am sure it will be a grower in terms of workflow dependency - the Classic is good but for a bit extra you get the updated functionality of the V2. Probably the better bet in terms of longevity.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by pauldormer1 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:05 am
darrenporter1 wroteIf you are thinking at all that someday you might want to.move up to something like a FaderPort 8 then send it back and save-up a little longer. Used FP8's can be found at pretty decent discounts from a new one. The FP8 is a game-changer if you are a mixer. If you are pretty much just all about getting tracks down the the FP 1 is probably all you need.

If it were me and all I wanted was the single fader I would probably save up for the 2018 version or try and find one on the bay or reverb.com.

Something about buying a used automated mixer puts me off.. Not sure if it's a hygiene thing or concerns over reliability!

But I have now unleashed the FP1, and I'm very happy with it given it's low price.

I believe you about the FP8, and when I find the space I'm sure it would improve my workflow massively. I've been struggling with mixing using computer interfaces since the mid 90s so counter-intuitive!!

The transport controls are a godsend, and being able to control one track is nice.. it would of course make a lot of sense to be able to mix multiple channels simultaneously

6 posts
Page 1 of 1