Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was using my pipeline xt plugin last night. I ran into some latency issues with both my dbx160a and my VLA II compressors. I’m wondering if it’s time to upgrade my interface?
I’ve been looking at the Presonus 1824c but before I drop the cash I wanted to make sure it’s really an improvement for my specific system being that my Mac mini has usb 3.0 inputs on the back.

I was going to buy a Teknik Pultec & 1176 clone but now I might have to put the 1176 on hold. Hopefully you all can help me make the right decision.

Thanks

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 am
Oh geeze... something happened and my long reply went away before I could post it... let' try again.

My $0.02...

Get used to the latency or if it's really a deal-breaker try and figure out how to fix it and spend your money on upgrading your outbarod hardware. That new Pultec clone will be an enormous upgrade over what you are using now. My ART gear collects dust in my rack, never used.

Another alternative... have you tried the Waves V-Series bundle? It's only $59 right now. I highly suggest you download the demo and run it through its paces. It is very highly regarded as a top-quality package. https://www.waves.com/bundles/v-series# ... h-tutorial If you like it, latency issues gone, headaches of using Pipeline gone... (I do NOT want to start a whole ITB vs OOTB war here... if you have your reasons for not liking plugins that's cool by me.)

Also, something to consider... if you do go the new 1824 route, the new "C-series" is nothing more than a cosmetic and connector change. It still operates under the USB 2.0 standard and all other specs are identical to the older 1824 model. (Verify this is true but there is a thread about it here somewhere.) So, you might save some coin by going with the older 1824 model on closeout pricing somewhere if the USB-C thing is not an absolute must-have.

Hope this helps.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by darrenporter1 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:30 am
Oh and one more thing to consider... a Softube Console 1. You get the British Class A plugin (Neve console emulation with the Pultec in the compressor section) free right now in addition to the default SSL 4000E. I am absolutely LOVING mine.

Buried deep within the 108-page Gearslutz thread someone posted that they had a control room full of actual SSL consoles and when bought a Console 1 he ripped them all out because the Console 1 was that good compared to the hardware.

It's fun to have options :-)

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by frank.crow on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:20 pm
Wow
This was super helpful. I was actually looking at the older version of the 1824 ($100 cheaper). And if it’s running USB 2.00 then my FireWire is actually faster (according to YouTube). I’m cool with the latency amount, it’s not horrible I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to affect the final print.
I rendered down the track with pipeline and then put it next to the raw track. Played simultaneously they seemed to line up perfectly. So I might be ok. Any thoughts you might have on this before/after experiment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your help

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by fedexnman on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:48 pm
@frank.crow let us know how you get along with the 1824 , I'm looking into getting the 1810C because it has 4 balanced line inputs so I can use my outboard mic pres . I'm on FireWire too , echo audiofire4 , the audiofire4 works fine for recording audio and mixing , 64 or 128 buffers at 24bit 44.1 these settings get me under 10ms .... but I do get pops and clicks only with certain VSTs that have complex synth patches , amp Sims , and samplers with long sample patches , so not very often ..... I could raise it to 256 or 512 buffers .... I don't know if it's a combo of interface , ram , or CPU ? i7 920 2.66 6gb ram ...1 ssd , and 2 7200rpm hdds , I guess it showing it's age . I guess I'm curious about going from FireWire to USB2 ....
by matthewgorman on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:35 pm
It sounds like you dont "need" to upgrade. Also, I have been here long enough to be familiar with some of your system struggles. My .02 says wait until you "have" to upgrade, and see whats out then.

Good luck either way.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by frank.crow on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:07 pm
matthewgorman wroteIt sounds like you dont "need" to upgrade. Also, I have been here long enough to be familiar with some of your system struggles. My .02 says wait until you "have" to upgrade, and see whats out then.

Good luck either way.

You are correct
It ended up being “user error”
I never activated the green Z
My latency issue is resolved.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT