Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

What's needed to force Notion 6.5 to show this beaming pattern in a 4/4 score

I_I_I_I_I_I _I_I(8 eights grouped together)

instead of I_I_I_I I_I_I_I or I_I_I_I_I_I I_I ?

Greetings
by Surf.Whammy on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:15 pm
andrescamposaguilar wroteHi all.

What's needed to force Notion 6.5 to show this beaming pattern in a 4/4 score

I_I_I_I_I_I _I_I(8 eights grouped together)

instead of I_I_I_I I_I_I_I or I_I_I_I_I_I I_I ?

Greetings

The standard grouping in this scenario is two pairs of four eighth notes, but there is a way to do it . . . :)

BEST: Standard Grouping

There are several reasons for doing it this way, and one of the reasons is that it's easier to determine the number of notes when they are grouped in smaller sets . . .

When there is a long series of notes all connected by a single bar, it's not so easy to determine visually how many notes there actually are in the set . . .

THOUGHTS

You need to make the eighth notes a custom tuplet with the ratio 8:8 . . .

It needs to be a custom tuplet, and you need to specify the ratio, because otherwise it will create a tuplet that plays the eighth notes over three beats rather than four beats, which in this instance is the ratio 8:6 . . .

This strategy works, but there will be a number over or under the custom tuplet, as shown in the image . . .

CONFUSING: Non-standard Custom Tuplet

You can specify whether the stems are up or down, and you can specify whether the number is above or below the notes . . .

You also can adjust the angle and relative height or depth of the connecting bar(s) . . .

Since this is a non-standard note grouping, it's probably best to specify the ratio for the custom tuplet, because formally trained musicians and singers will read "8" as being "play or sing the eighth notes over the time allocated to six eighth notes" . . .

BETTER: Non-standard Custom Tuplet ~ Ratio Specified

The tuplet ratio tells musicians and singers that the eighth notes are played or sung over the standard duration, which in 4/4 time will be four beats in this case . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:14 pm
There's a simple way to do this, without using the tuplets as outlined by my good friend Surf.

Use the Beaming tool [shift+b] and select the gap between the groups. It will add the beam. Select it again and remove it. You can pretty much beam or unbeam anywhere.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by andrescamposaguilar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 am
Beaming.JPG
"There's a simple way to do this, without using the tuplets as outlined by my good friend Surf.

Use the Beaming tool [shift+b] and select the gap between the groups. It will add the beam. Select it again and remove it. You can pretty much beam or unbeam anywhere."

Yes, but it is quite annoying when I have many measure to do this. I want to use the menu "Time Signature" Shift M and the necessary combination in "Beaming pattern" to join the eight notes with a beam.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:17 pm
michaelmyers1 wroteThere's a simple way to do this, without using the tuplets as outlined by my good friend Surf.

Use the Beaming tool [shift+b] and select the gap between the groups. It will add the beam. Select it again and remove it. You can pretty much beam or unbeam anywhere.

Excellent! :+1

THOUGHTS

My workaround provides a clue to the definition of "beaming" here in the sound isolation studio . . .

As you might recall, my sister bought an old house a few years ago, and slowly but surely we are updating it, with a good bit of the "updating" now being the focus of rolling back the clock in the sense of undoing a lot of illogical things that were done over the years by folks who were not so focused on preserving originality . . .

One of the projects involved ensuring the otherwise tiny kitchen has plenty of space for what I consider to be professional-level cooking; and this is where "beaming" fits into the equation, which to be specific involved removing a load-bearing wall and in-turn installing a "beam" . . .

[NOTE: Actually the sequence was first to install the beam and then to demo the wall, but so what . . . ]

It's an old house, and based on discovering what I call "knob and knurl" wiring, it was built in the 1920s or 1930s and then over the years was "updated" by less than diligent enthusiasts, which now maps to undoing a lot of things, such as for example removing the multiple layers of obnoxious flooring, which when removed revealed what floor refinishers in this part of the world call "vertical pine" on top of which one-inch thick solid oak flooring was installed in most of the rooms in the second wave of mindless "enhancements" . . .

[NOTE: We kept the solid oak flooring, which is very nice; but the kitchen still has the original vertical pine flooring, as does the covered front porch--both finished with teak oil, but the front porch is marine-grade teak oil . . . ]

The most interesting discovery has been solving the riddle of the location of an obviously "updated" hallway in what to me appeared to be an illogical location, where after months of looking at a wall and noticing that there was a small section of baseboard trim that looked "different", I connected a few dots; grabbed a sledge hammer; and to the initial distress of my sister knocked out part of the wall--although after first tapping on the wall to "sound" it like one might tap on the body of a contrabass or acoustic guitar, thereby verifying with a high-degree of accuracy that, in fact, it was not the original wall but instead was a hallway opening covered with sheetrock . . .

[NOTE: Paint samples on walls are done to explore color choices, with one goal being to select wall colors that enhance the now refinished floors, which after sanding and so forth were finished with teak oil--no staining, so the natural wood colors are revealed--by the floor refinishers, which took them about two weeks . . . ]

Original Hallway-Parlor Opening ~ Logical

[NOTE: Instead of having "traditional" or perhaps "normal" kitchen cabinets and countertops--which are useless for actual food prepping and cooking--we are using restaurant kitchen types of stainless steel equipment (shelves, sinks, and so forth)l, which curiously costs about 75 percent less than "normal" cabinets and countertops. For prepping pastry, a marble or granite work area is best (keeps the butter cold), but for yeast bread and rolls a wood ("butcher block" style) work area is best; so it will have both . . . ]

Beam to Open Kitchen ~ More Space for Cooking ~ Adjacent Small Hallway Being Restored to Original Wall

This is "beaming" in my universe . . . :reading:

The logic I used in my reply was based on (a) having few if any clues about music notation beaming but (b) knowing that it's easier to identify a group of four notes accurately than it is to make sense of a long series of notes connected together into something which is not so easily counted when one is sight-playing or sight-singing . . .

It's all good, and now I know NOTION has a "beaming" tool . . . :+1

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by michaelmyers1 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:53 pm
andrescamposaguilar wroteI want to use the menu "Time Signature" Shift M and the necessary combination in "Beaming pattern" to join the eight notes with a beam.

It's interesting that I've used the Time Signature command hundreds of times but I've never noticed the box to define a beaming pattern!

It looks like you're right, after trying every possible combination I could think of to create a run of (8) eighth notes beamed together, I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible.

I recommend submitting a ticket to support so that the developers can address this.

In the meantime looks like the workaround is the Beaming Tool.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Ventura 13.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6 + Studio One 5 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com

6 posts