53 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
sarabalazic wroteBtw, have any of you ever used Audiobox junk? Because from what I read, I can see why it was discontinued. Nothing but ''give me my money back, scammers'' complaints when I Googled it. I am really afraid I'll need to buy a better interface and starve through the month again. I should have SO Artist. It would be the artist (because it doesn't allow me to be), and I would be the starving. Strange madfellows :lol:

Until last week, I had the even older Audiobox iTwo.

I hate to say this, but it's not junk. You're just not using it the way it was meant to be used. I think there is a conceptual difference here. It is an audio interface meant for both input and output. You're trying to use it just as an input while still using Windows audio as your output to your USB speakers. That is not how this is meant to be used, so you're using the wrong tool for the job. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'm not sure if S1 can be configured to use the Audiobox as just an input while using Windows as the output. Someone with far more skills than I would have to answer that.

Another option would be to use headphones connected to the Audiobox interface when you want to work in S1, and then switch your system back to Windows audio when you want to use your speakers.

Studio One 6, Presonus Studio 1810 USB, Windows 11 64 bit.
by BANANADRAMA on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 am
Neiby wrote
sarabalazic wroteBtw, have any of you ever used Audiobox junk? Because from what I read, I can see why it was discontinued. Nothing but ''give me my money back, scammers'' complaints when I Googled it. I am really afraid I'll need to buy a better interface and starve through the month again. I should have SO Artist. It would be the artist (because it doesn't allow me to be), and I would be the starving. Strange madfellows :lol:

Until last week, I had the even older Audiobox iTwo.

I hate to say this, but it's not junk. You're just not using it the way it was meant to be used. I think there is a conceptual difference here. It is an audio interface meant for both input and output. You're trying to use it just as an input while still using Windows audio as your output to your USB speakers. That is not how this is meant to be used, so you're using the wrong tool for the job. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. I'm not sure if S1 can be configured to use the Audiobox as just an input while using Windows as the output. Someone with far more skills than I would have to answer that.

Another option would be to use headphones connected to the Audiobox interface when you want to work in S1, and then switch your system back to Windows audio when you want to use your speakers.

Let me rephrase: it is not junk; it is junk in my situation. A brain-dead monkey knows and cares more about technology than I, so I am not going to contest your claims. Believe you me, if I had any money left, I would use it to hire a producer. Funny. I used to wonder what 'music producer' meant. I used to think the technology and technical sides of music just kind of sort themselves out. Oh, life. Stern teacher, you.

Anyway, if it's not right for me, what would you recommend is right for me? Not that I can afford to buy it (though if anyone wants to crowdfund me, I shall not oppose your noble endeavour to do so lol), but just theoretically. If I can't get this to work, the better I start saving, the better.

I am not using it wrong, you know. If I try to use it correctly, my sound stops working, as mentioned a thousand times before. And making music if I can't hear what it sounds ike is just a bit of a problem.... though if I listen to mainstream radio, even the random dross I might come up with without hearing any sound might be a masterpiece, compared to what's on there :lol:

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit, Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3710 @ 160GHz, 4GB

Studio One 3 Professional
Version: 3.5.6 build 45910

AudioBox USB 96
by BANANADRAMA on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:57 am
Sarabalazic,
''I take it that you have your Audiobox connected to the PC with a USB cable, and that it shows up as a possible audio device. And your mic is connected to the front of the Audiobox with the 48v button pushed and lite up. But that you dont have any audio outputs on the back of the Audiobox connected to anything. ''

That's exactly how it is, yes.

''So to select the Audiobox as your device and hear what you record, you will need to connect your speakers to the outs on the back of the Audiobox. Or you could connect a pair of headphones to the headphone out on the back of the Audiobox.
If nothing is connected to the back of the Audiobox, then when it is selected as the audio device, you wont hear any Windows sounds, or any StudioOne sounds. ''

Do I need to be wearing headphones? I get panic attacks sometimes if I wear headphones. They oppress me like a shirt that's too tight. I try not to wear them if at all possible; it feels like I'm chained to them. I like my free movement when I listen to music. Anyway, that's why I ask.

''Not sure what type of connection your current speakers are, ( I assume 1/8th connector to the side of your computer, or you may just be using the speakers built into your laptop), but you can get an adapter to allow you to connect those (if they are separate speakers) to the back of the Audiobox. Then you should be able to hear both Windows and StudioOne when Audiobox is selected as the audio device.''

. PC SPEAKERS, and a pair of cheap TRUST speakers. I have no idea what a 1/8th connector is, sorry. I can't afford PCs that have speakers at the sides, lol. I am not an American. When I hear the things Amercians can afford, it's like a sci-fi novel to me. I have never had a computer with anything but ye olde two speakers. Or one. Whatever the PC comes with.

''Or you could get a cheap pair of headphones with a TRS 1/4 in connector to plug into the Headphone outs on the Audiobox. ''

Unfortunately, there is no school, to school me on what the fluff a TRS 1/4 is, friend, nor does anyone in any music/tech store know (from experience). Prithee, explain.

Also, as mentioned in at least one previous post, I don't have the right USB to plog speakers into Audiobox. Such speakers cost money. I have got no more money. I spent it all on a headache-inducing and bank account-breaking mic just to get the right bloodly USB. Before this I used cheap mics that like cheap speakers have no USB meant for an interface.

''This would be the same issue with any DAW and any Audio device. For example I am using a Focusrite Audio device for inputing my mic and then have some speakers plugged in to listen to both Windows sounds and StudioOne.''

Would you recommend the Focusrite? I imagine it's not as cheap as this ju...er, wonderful device (don't want to get banned, do I. Presonus is flawless!), so it must be better. I bought this because it was cheapest. More money; more music. Literally, I guess.

AudioBox USB 96
by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am
You'd be in exactly the same situation if you had the Focusrite. You either need to use headphones or get speakers that connect to your audio interface.

Here is something you could try, though. In S1, leave it set to use Windows Audio. In Windows, right-click on the speaker icon on your taskbar and go to your Sound Settings. On that page, there is a place to select your input device. The Audiobox mic interface should be one of the options. If so, select that. That MAY work, but I really don't know. Even if it does work, this is not the best way to do it, but it may be your only option at the moment.

Once you have that set up, open S1 and see if you can record with your mic. I honestly don't know if that will work. I think I can test it here, even though I have a different interface. I'll do some testing and see if I can figure it out.

EDIT: I tried it that way and couldn't get it to work. You should try it and see if it works differently for you, but even if it technically worked, the results may not be very good. I was just getting noise and I couldn't figure out why.

by dominicwperry on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Can you post a photo of the speakers? Do they have batteries or a power supply of some sort?

It should be possible to connect most speakers to the AudioBox but it does depend on what they are (some are powered, others need an amplifier).

You may need to buy a connector to convert the two output jacks of the AudioBox to the input cable of the speakers. A photo of what you have would help.

TRS stands for Tip-Ring-Sleeve. It's a kind of jack plug. A 6.5mm TRS is a 'big' jack plug (same as 1/4 inch) and a 3.5mm is a mini jack plug.
If you have computer speakers then they are often connected with a mini jack plug which is stereo (both speakers are connected to a single jack plug) but the output of the AudioBox is two large mono sockets (6.5mm TS - tip and sleeve).

If that's the case, then all you would need is a cable which plugs into the two mono sockets of the AudioBox and gives you a single socket for the mini-jack on the speakers.
At the moment, I'm guessing because I'm not sure what speakers you are using. When we've worked it out then we can find the right cable - they are not very expensive - a few $/£. No need for a new interface, the AudioBox will do fine.

Unfortunately, you can't use the internal speakers on a laptop AND the AudioBox at the same time. But I think you have a desktop machine, and you are plugging your speakers into the onboard sound card and that won't work if you want to use the microphone at the same time.

When you finally get this sorted out (and you will) then you will need to wear headphones when recording sounds through the mic because otherwise there will be feedback - the sound from the speakers will loop back into the mic and cause a screech - so get used to using headphone from time to time. You will be ok to just put them over one ear and leave the other ear open, which might make you feel more comfortable.

Dominic

MacBook Pro M1 Max 10/32 64GB 2TB, MacOS 13.6.3, S1 Pro 6.5.2 UADx, RME Babyface Pro fs (206/3.31)
by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm
That's a great point. If she uses the standard 3.5mm stereo connector to connect the speakers to her computer, she could just get an adapter to go from that to two 6.5mm plugs to connect to the Audiobox.

by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:34 pm
If the speaker connection to the computer is a 3.5mm "headphone" style jack, all you'd need to connect those to the AudioBox would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.de/vergoldete-Kupfer ... 07G5565VX/

Assuming you're in Europe, you could order from that link. But as long as you get female 3.5mm to dual male 6.5mm plugs, it should work.

by dominicwperry on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm
yup, even cheaper options are available - found one on UK ebay for £2.95 - maybe no good for mainland Europe (says posts Worldwide).
But let's check it's the right thing first ;)

Dominic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-Mini-3- ... rk:18:pf:0

MacBook Pro M1 Max 10/32 64GB 2TB, MacOS 13.6.3, S1 Pro 6.5.2 UADx, RME Babyface Pro fs (206/3.31)
by BANANADRAMA on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 pm
@dominicwperry: I can't really see how I can keep revelling in my paranoid convictions that the whole universe has conspired against me, if you keep talking in such a reassuring way. It assuages my hysteria. Stop it :P Seriously, thank you for delving into an issue so deeply that is not in any way your problem. When I read you chaps' technical talk, I might as well be reading gibberish, but I'll try to catch up. I believe I've got these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trust+s ... 20&bih=916

I had almost bought some nice Bluetooth ones, but then I heard those magical three words we all want to hear before we die: 'credit card denied', so ''meh, better than nothing' it was.

@Neiby: I am located in technologically backwards mainland Europe, yes. And for future reference: as frilly as I may come across, I am quite the 'he', not a she ;)

In between you helpful chaps and tech support finally responding, I am feeling more optimistic I shall get this mess sorted :D

AudioBox USB 96
by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 pm
Ha! My mistake. I looked at your user name and thought it was Sara Balazic, and over here in the States, Sara is a woman's name. My apologies! And I have plenty of friends in Europe, including mainland Europe, so I understand how it goes.

Since those use a 3.5mm jack, I think you could use the stuff we mentioned above and hook it all up.

by darrenporter1 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 am
My two cents... or .02 Euros in this case :lol:

You will be much better off getting even a really cheap set of headphones. You won't be able to do any decent recording with a mic without them. Even a $20 pair of Behringers will do a MUCH better job than your cheap PC speakers and will give you the isolation and monitoring you absolutely must have when you record with a mic. All of your adapter cables will probably add up to about that much anyways. But buy the best ones you can afford.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by BANANADRAMA on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 am
@Neiby: It's the internets, man. I can be anyone I want on the internet. I like to invent pretty names as user names. I think Sara Balazic is very pretty, very Hungarian, very Franz Liszt :lol: I can't help the fact that my creativity has the main word on everything I am doing. Surely your name isn't really Neiby, is it? :p

@darrenporter1: I've got these. They are not expensive by any means, but since I bought this new computer (on which SO works wonderfully apart from audio issues, so far) on an instalment plan, I will have to pay large chunks of money monthly to pay it off for the unforseeable future, and since I am officially unemployable due to chronic health issues, the little money I get to survive that remains will have to be spent on that pesky food thing, whatever. The point being, better headphones are out of the question for quite awhile. Unless, of course, I win that lottery. What? Let me dream! Anyway, these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ld+syst ... 20&bih=916

I have actually found an extra plug that--I think--came with the headphones (they fit, anyway). I presume I plug them in the ''PHONES'' outlet? EDIT: you can see the plug on the Google images link I gave above. Is this the correct one? Fits in finely.

PS: can anyone tell me how to update my signature, what with my new PC and all, so nobody can tell me ''it's your RAM that's the problem'' anymore? It is the grand purchase of the year, by which I mean this life and a few next ones, if I feel Buddhist :XD: I tried in profile, but it doesn't let me.

AudioBox USB 96
by dominicwperry on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 am
sarabalazic wrote
PS: can anyone tell me how to update my signature, what with my new PC and all, so nobody can tell me ''it's your RAM that's the problem'' anymore?

User Control Panel (top left of the forum) -> Profile (second tab along) -> Edit Signature (left hand side list, 2nd down).

You may have to log in again to be able to edit it. This forum times out a lot for some reason. The sign at the top “Click here to verify you are human” is actually a login prompt. Don’t ask me why.
Last edited by dominicwperry on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

by dominicwperry on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:36 am
sarabalazic wrote
@darrenporter1: I've got these. They are not expensive by any means, but since I bought this new computer (on which SO works wonderfully apart from audio issues, so far) on an instalment plan, I will have to pay large chunks of money monthly to pay it off for the unforseeable future, and since I am officially unemployable due to chronic health issues, the little money I get to survive that remains will have to be spent on that pesky food thing, whatever. The point being, better headphones are out of the question for quite awhile. Unless, of course, I win that lottery. What? Let me dream! Anyway, these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ld+syst ... 20&bih=916

I have actually found an extra plug that--I think--came with the headphones (they fit, anyway). I presume I plug them in the ''PHONES'' outlet? EDIT: you can see the plug on the Google images link I gave above. Is this the correct one? Fits in finely.

Correct, you need the adapter and to plug them into the "PHONES" output on the back of the AudioBox.

Those headphones will be fine - they are closed back, which is what you want for tracking (ie recording vocals or other things with a mic nearby - the sound won't leak out too much and get picked up by the microphone.
The have a bit of a peak at 8Khz (which will make them sound bright) - you may find that your mixes come out slightly dull sounding if you have compensated for the peak. Don't worry about that at the moment though!

Your speakers (Trust Leto) will be fine for casual listening but of course don't have much bass, so again, when you mix you need to be careful not to overcompensate by adding loads of bass EQ. You will need to check your mixes on the speakers and the headphones to get some insight into what it will sound like on other systems. Again, not really a concern yet, you just need to get up and running.

The speakers look like they are USB powered, which might be a bit more complicated - I need to have a better look but am busy now, I'll check later.

Dominic

by matthewgorman on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 am
A speaker set, you mean? The kind of speakers I could plug into my interface would need a fancy USB, translated, it means I would have to spend spend spend on it again, and I am in debt already because of all the gear I'd bought. The speakers I've got are cheap, and have a USB I can't plug into interface, so PC it is.

This is your problem. Your pc has an internal soundcard that is able to access the USB speakers you are using. By making the AudioBox the default, you are turning off that internal soundcard, along with access to the speakers. Any speaker you want to use, with the AudioBox as the default sound output, must be connected to the AB. No other way around it. If new speakers are not in the budget, then you will need headphones.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by dominicwperry on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Those speakers are just USB powered. They have two connectors - one for USB which only provides power and the other, a stereo mini-jack, for the audio.
So, they need to stay plugged into USB to keep them powered, but take the mini jack and, using one of the cables I mentioned before (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-Mini-3- ... rk:18:pf:0) connect the two AudioBox "Main Out L&R" to the speaker mini-jack.
No need to buy anything more, except the cable.
Then you can have the microphone input and the speaker output (and the headphone output too) all working at the same time, by selecting the AudioBox as your audio interface, and forget using the internal PC sound card.

Dominic

by BANANADRAMA on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 pm
matthewgorman wrote
A speaker set, you mean? The kind of speakers I could plug into my interface would need a fancy USB, translated, it means I would have to spend spend spend on it again, and I am in debt already because of all the gear I'd bought. The speakers I've got are cheap, and have a USB I can't plug into interface, so PC it is.

This is your problem. Your pc has an internal soundcard that is able to access the USB speakers you are using. By making the AudioBox the default, you are turning off that internal soundcard, along with access to the speakers. Any speaker you want to use, with the AudioBox as the default sound output, must be connected to the AB. No other way around it. If new speakers are not in the budget, then you will need headphones.

Lol. It is my problem? Oh, I thought it was yours? Shocking. :XD:

AudioBox USB 96
by BANANADRAMA on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:09 pm
dominicwperry wroteThose speakers are just USB powered. They have two connectors - one for USB which only provides power and the other, a stereo mini-jack, for the audio.
So, they need to stay plugged into USB to keep them powered, but take the mini jack and, using one of the cables I mentioned before (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5m-Mini-3- ... rk:18:pf:0) connect the two AudioBox "Main Out L&R" to the speaker mini-jack.
No need to buy anything more, except the cable.
Then you can have the microphone input and the speaker output (and the headphone output too) all working at the same time, by selecting the AudioBox as your audio interface, and forget using the internal PC sound card.

Dominic

Oops, I almost reported you by accident. Sleepy fingers. So let me get this straight: There are two outputs at the back of Audiobox. Into one, I plug the speakers; into the other, the mic? What do I need the cable for, then? I could just buy another of those plugs that fits?
Last edited by BANANADRAMA on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AudioBox USB 96
by Jemusic on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm
Microphone into one of the inputs on the front. (Channel 1) Speakers into the Phones output on the rear via the adapter you may already have. (The adapter converts the smaller TRS plug 3.5mm to the larger TRS phones type connection 6.5mm)

The cable that was suggested here allows you to plug your speakers into the two outputs on the rear.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by BANANADRAMA on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:58 am
Jemusic wroteMicrophone into one of the inputs on the front. (Channel 1) Speakers into the Phones output on the rear via the adapter you may already have. (The adapter converts the smaller TRS plug 3.5mm to the larger TRS phones type connection 6.5mm)

The cable that was suggested here allows you to plug your speakers into the two outputs on the rear.

I see, so it's either speakers or headphones, because there are only two outputs. I'll try that. Pray for me.

AudioBox USB 96

53 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3