14 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is just for fun, but I'm comparing two different microphones recording the same audio source. I want to compare their frequency response, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I have tried the Presonus spectrum analyzer as well as Voxengo SPAN, but i'll be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing.

What would be a good way to do this? I guess essentially I want to see the visual difference between the microphones at different frequencies.

Studio One 6, Presonus Studio 1810 USB, Windows 11 64 bit.
by Neiby on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:21 pm
I just remembered that Fabfilter 2 has an EQ match function, so for fun I did that and set the number of EQ bands to 21. The end result shows me what would have to be done to the second mic to match the sound of the first. Not exactly what I wanted, but it is kind of a cool way to do it.

by Neiby on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:40 pm
I figured out how to use the sidechain in the S1 spectrum analyzer, so I'm getting closer. I can see the two different analyses next to one another. Now I just need to figure out how to compare them. There is a "Compare" button, but i haven't figured out what it does yet.

by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm
There is some useful info here... It's about how to read a chart but touches on how they are made.

http://blog.shure.com/how-to-read-a-mic ... nse-chart/

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Neiby on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:50 pm
What I'm looking for is a way, inside the DAW, to compare two different tracks, essentially. To visually see the difference for myself. It's not really necessary, but I figured there was a way to do it given the analysis tools available.

by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm
Oh ok. Well you could run a frequency analyzer on each track, set the peak hold to infinite and let them run. Then view the two side by side.

by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:46 pm
Maybe this is what you are after...
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... is_and.htm

Look at the Spectrum Meter plugin...

Send the two tracks you want to compare to the same bus, one track panned hard-left and the other hard-right.
Put a Spectrum Meter in the bus's Insert and set it to display L-R and it will show the differences between the two. That would show you where the two are radically different.
Put a Spectrum Meter on each of the two tracks and compare to see which one is "overpowering" the other at any given frequency.

I hope that makes sense... not sitting at the DAW right now...

Another thought... the ProEQ plugin on that same bus as I mentioned above... does it show two different curves for L & R channels? Then you can see them going on the same graph in real-time.

by Neiby on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:09 pm
Yes, that should work! I was using the Spectrum Meter, but had it setup differently. I think the way you're suggesting will show me what I'm looking for. Thanks!

by Lawrence on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm
I use Pro EQ for that. Like sending a guitar sidechain to the Pro EQ on the vocal track and you can see both responses, the SC signal is purple. That's one of the reasons why I still use Pro EQ for EQ even while mostly always using the Fat Channel compressors.

Attachments
compare.png
by darrenporter1 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 pm
Ah there you go... doing that you get both on the same graph!

by patrickbushaw on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:08 pm
I have used multi-track Voxengo Span in previous DAWs, but can't seem to get the same setup w/S1.
Melda Productions has an alternative on sale this week. Looks good in current S1 mixdown...
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiA ... tiAnalyzer
by sirmonkey on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 pm
Big thumbs up for the Melda Multianalyzer. I think you would really like it!
You can always do a 15-day demo (full functioning- no risk).
This video shows this tool way better than I could explain...
phpBB [video]

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Tacman7 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:06 am
I had read that about ProEQ the other day in another thread.

So the sidechain button is just to compare another track?

I guess you wouldn't really sidechain an eq?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by mikemanthei on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm
As long as you're just doing things for fun, you could try a null test. If you use both microphones at the same time to record exactly the same Source material (such as an acoustic guitar performance), then you can flip one of the tracks out of phase and then mix them together.

The resulting audio will be the difference between the two microphones. Of course this has some inherent flaws because the two microphone capsules can't be in exactly the same place at the same time :-) and even moving a microphone a half inch can change the sound. But you might get some interesting results because it could show you some differences that are not readily apparent using test equipment.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S

14 posts
Page 1 of 1