This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
If you have any version of the eBook "The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks," purchased either through PreSonus or Sweetwater, you're entitled to a FREE update to the latest edition released in January 2022. Simply download it from your PreSonus or Sweetwater account.

This is a substantial update that now has 250 tips, 126 free files, and 147 audio examples. Owners of the older "Big Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks" can get the new edition at half-price from the PreSonus shop.

Those who don't have the book will be assured of getting the latest version.

Finally, there is now a dedicated support forum for all my Sweetwater Publishing books, courtesy of MusicPlayer.com. Click here for the thread on The Huge Book of Studio One Tips and Tricks, and feel free to offer suggestions for future updates, or ask questions about any of the tips.

As always, thanks for your support!
Last edited by Anderton on Sun May 21, 2023 10:43 am, edited 15 times in total.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by Anderton on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm
I did a "Friday Tip of the Week" about how to make a "virtual pop filter" to reduce after-the-fact p-pops, using the Pro EQ. The tip was written after the book had been completed, so it wasn't included. However, here's a link to the tip: http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2019 ... op-filter/

by Anderton on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:55 pm
Here's another tidbit. I didn't really explain the "soft knee" mode because it's a fairly minor point, but thought it might be helpful.

Setting the Ceiling lower than the Threshold allows smoothing the transition into limiting somewhat by apply soft-knee compression as the input transitions from below the threshold level to above it.

For example, suppose the Ceiling is 0.00 dB and the Threshold is -6.00 dB. As you turn up the input, you would expect that the output would be the same as the input until the input reaches around -6 dB, at which point the output would be clamped to that level. However in this case, soft-knee compression starts occurring a few dB below -6.00 dB, and the actual limiting to -6.00 dB doesn’t occur until the input is a few dB above -6.00 dB.

The tradeoff for smoothing this transition somewhat is that the Threshold will need to be set below 0.00. In this case, the maximum output is -6.00 dB. If you wanted to bring it up to 0.00 dB, then you’d need to add makeup gain using Mixtool module.

by Anderton on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:17 am
No questions or comments? Don't be shy! This thread would also be a good place for any tips you have about recording vocals in Studio One.

by Lawrence on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 am
I finally got a chance to read this. No surprises there as Craig has been an audio pro for many years and I already knew he was a good writer from decades ago, reading his articles in EQ magazine and various other places when I first started down the home recording path way back when dinosaurs still roamed the planet.. before the Internet went bonkers. :)

I fully expected it to be very well done and it is.

Personal Observation: There are two things that are good bit "more" challenging than most things for the home recordist, drums and Vocals. Just about everything else is a good bit easier, DI guitars, Virtual Instruments (no brainer) etc, etc. but really good drums and Vocals in a typical home studio setting require a bit more skill and thought.

In a typical pop song where often enough a lot of the backing mujsic is sample based, really great vocal tracks can set it above the kazillion other home produced demos on Bandcamp or whatever.

I highly recommend this book.
by Lawrence on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 am
Anderton wroteNo questions or comments? Don't be shy!

P.S... a personal "Felix Unger" studio thing of mine ...

There's a good section in there about pop filters, which are often necessary for obvious reasons.

One of the things I always remind people is that those things are a hotbed for germs because performers are quite literally spitting microscopic bits into them so - please - buy a can of Lysol or something for the studio and - regularly - clean and disinfect your pop filter. :mrgreen:
by Anderton on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm
Lawrence wroteOne of the things I always remind people is that those things are a hotbed for germs because performers are quite literally spitting microscopic bits into them so - please - buy a can of Lysol or something for the studio and - regularly - clean and disinfect your pop filter. :mrgreen:

Thanks, great tip...I checked around the net and found this:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/155565 ... aning-foam

Has anyone tried it?

It's also worth noting that the metal wind screens on many mics can be unscrewed, so they're fairly easy to clean with an old toothbrush to get in between the screen's holes.

Thanks again for the tip!

by nicolasfalcon on Fri May 03, 2019 7:25 pm
Hi,
I am super glad to find this thread since I am teaching me how to record better vocals with this e-book and my new Shure Sm7b + cloudlifter . However, I am having an issue right from the start.

On the first chapter, it is said that we are able to monitor the vocals from Universal Control directly to avoid latency and also to add the fat channel from universal control. HOWEVER (big however) I am an Audiobox 96 user. Which means this option is not available for me, am I right? I am breaking my head trying to figure out how to monitor through UC, but I can't find this setting. I am only able to monitor through S1 directly. When I click on the demo tab at UC I can open the StudioLive 32 channel wndow, but can't make the mic input to be recognized by any channel.
Could someone please advise/confirm if this type of monitoring is only available for higher interfaces only?
I am planning to update my interface since I feel that I am improving and it is time.
I would like to remain with Presonus, (<3) if I find an interface that has great preamps with 4 inputs max.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ps: Attached there is a print screen from my UC window.

Attachments
UC.jpg

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Intel Core Duo i5 7400 @ 3.00 GHz
Memory(RAM): 16 GB
HD: 931GB
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
M-Audio keystation 61 MK3
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by Anderton on Sun May 05, 2019 9:25 am
Hello Nicolas, I'm glad you're finding the book helpful! Although I haven't worked with the AudioBox, there is a front panel Mixer control that chooses between the input signal and the output playback from Studio One. Although you won't be able to monitor your vocals with effects (I assume the AudioBox doesn't have the hardware DSP needed for the Fat Channel), you will be able to monitor your vocals in real time, without latency, by turning the Mixer control more toward the input.

If you're thinking of upgrading, I use the Studio 192 and it's been rock solid. The mobile version, with two mic/instrument/line inputs and two line inputs, is less expensive but works with the Fat Channel (which is also integrated with Studio One itself). One useful feature is the dual ADAT inputs so if you need to expand it with eight more channels, you can.

The latency is low enough that I usually don't bother with zero-latency monitoring, but if I wanted to monitor through effects, I would use the Fat Channel to do so. I hope this information is useful to you. Good luck with your recordings!

by nicolasfalcon on Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Thank you so much for replying.
I conclude that the audiobox 96 does not have the DPS for the fat channel. I've been monitoring with the mix knob and with the DAW directly since I began with production. I wasn't aware that there was another option for monitoring, but thanks to the e-book now I am aware. I guess I'll try that alternative monitoring method when I upgrade the audio interface. Thank you for your recommendation by the way. Will check that one out for sure. And thank u for the e-book and the effort in making it very detailed with the figures and explanations.

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Intel Core Duo i5 7400 @ 3.00 GHz
Memory(RAM): 16 GB
HD: 931GB
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
M-Audio keystation 61 MK3
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by Anderton on Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 am
nicolasfalcon wroteAnd thank u for the e-book and the effort in making it very detailed with the figures and explanations.

Thanks for your kind words, a book like that takes a lot of work so it's always good to know it's appreciated. I've been working on a book about using dynamics in Studio One, I hope to have it out sometime in June. It not only covers the dynamics processing effects like compressor, limiter, noise gate, etc., but also covers musical dynamics and adding dynamics in virtual instruments.

by bartbalint on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:59 pm
Anderton wroteI've written two eBooks that the PreSonus shop carries, called How to Record and Mix Great Vocals in Studio One and More than Compressors: The Complete Guide to Dynamics in Studio One. I thought it might be a good idea to offer support if anyone has questions about the tips/techniques that are covered in the books, or comments/additions that would be useful for others. I'll be checking this thread periodically, and will be happy to assist as needed.

Mr A,
Got both of these books and find them very helpful. Also got your Amp Sim book which gives some good tips on improving the amp sim tones I was getting with the presets found in several amp sim apps. I had a few questions about the guitar transient tamer, but I wasn’t quite sure where to ask or post them. Any recommendations about that? Cheers, balinas

Studio One v6.1, Win11 22H2, build 22621.1485, Quantum2, Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre, MCU-Pro, Wacom pen tablet, ATOM, GR55, Focusrite ASA one, HPD-20, Mackie Big Knob, 8-)
by Anderton on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 pm
<<I had a few questions about the guitar transient tamer, but I wasn’t quite sure where to ask or post them. Any recommendations about that? Cheers, balinas>>

I recommend you post it as a thread in my forum:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... -and-stage

The transient tamer has been a popular project, so other people might have thoughts as well, and you could benefit from a discussion.

I'm glad you like the books! I'm working on the next one now.

by bartbalint on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm
Anderton wrote<<I had a few questions about the guitar transient tamer, but I wasn’t quite sure where to ask or post them. Any recommendations about that? Cheers, balinas>>

I recommend you post it as a thread in my forum:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... -and-stage

The transient tamer has been a popular project, so other people might have thoughts as well, and you could benefit from a discussion.

I'm glad you like the books! I'm working on the next one now.

Thanks. I will take a look at that!
-Bart 👍

Studio One v6.1, Win11 22H2, build 22621.1485, Quantum2, Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre, MCU-Pro, Wacom pen tablet, ATOM, GR55, Focusrite ASA one, HPD-20, Mackie Big Knob, 8-)
by Anderton on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm
Hi all - I found an error in my book How to Record and Mix Great Vocals in Studio One. In the section on the Expander, it says the Expander can't do upward expansion. Although PreSonus doesn't specifically claim it can do that, it can...which I covered in my blog post Up Your Expressiveness with Upward Expansion. Fortunately, this doesn't really impact the Vocal book because upward expansion is almost never used with vocals. However, it can be a useful technique for percussive sounds, like drums, hand percussion, brass attacks, etc.

by ZiggyDude on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:26 am
Hi Craig

A great topic would be to walk someone through installation and avoid the "Documents" folder in Windows installs. I don't know about MACs. The problem is that if you have Studio One installed on more than one computer and also have Microsoft OneDrive - it sees the documents folder on both computers as the same and backs them up to the same place. Eventually Studio One goes nuts. OneDrive even changes the file path of the S1 installs

According to Presonus Tech support this is a known issue. They say just to turn off the auto backup of OneDrive. I also was working with Microsoft support on this and they basically said the same thing. BUT - if OneDrive for some reason gets turned on again - POOF!!!! Your screwed.

I can provide more detail if needed.

They initial install of S1 goes to Program Files like it should. I see that after that there are more installs of sounds sets and other goodies that S1 uses and there is an option to change the location. But I don't know if that is problematic or not.

In the Windows world the "Documents" folder is a wild and wooly place. Everything goes there. Letters to Aunt Maude, stuff you save from other people, people drag files about and make new folders. Lots of personal stuff. That is why having OneDrive back it up is a good thing. It is NO PLACE for files that S1 uses as a system.

Help with how to install S1 and not use Documents?

Thanks

- Ziggy -
by Anderton on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm
Great suggestion! I think it would work well for one of my Friday Tips. Frankly, I'm still scratching my head over some of the things OneDrive does...but I do use Studio One on two different Windows computers, so hopefully there's a simple answer.

Question: Can you provide more details, particularly about the desired result? For example, do you want the two versions of Studio One to share the same folder for songs and projects, have different folders for the two versions, back things up automatically or manually, etc.

by Anderton on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm
Just an FYI...the 2nd Edition of How to Record and Mix Great Vocals in Studio One is available. It's kind of like an extended dance remix, 35% more content (now up to 194 pages) and it covers the changes in Studio One 5. Owners of the previous version can get it for half-price.

And while I'm here...thanks for your support of these books. They take a lot of work, so I'm always glad to hear when people find them useful, and of course, I'm always open to comments on how they could be improved. For example, the reason why the 2nd Edition of the vocals book also includes some downloadable files (such as FX Chains and impulse responses) is a direct result of your suggestions.

by Anderton on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:53 pm
I've updated the book How to Record and Mix Great Guitar Sounds in Studio One to incorporate the changes in Studio One 5. To say thanks to the "early adopters," owners of the original guitar book can download the updated book for FREE from their PreSonus account.

Anyone who buys the book going forward will receive the updated edition. The previous version will no longer be available because the new version includes anything that was in the old version anyway.

Unlike the second edition of How to Record and Mix Great Vocals in Studio One 2nd Edition, which is significantly different from the first edition, the guitar book update is more like a "point release." So, I didn't want owners of the previous book to buy this one because they thought it would have lots of new material.

In the future, if an updated book isn't too different, then it will be a free update to owners of the original book. If it's a substantial revision, then like the vocals book, it will be offered to existing owners at half-price.

As always, thank you for your support.

by Anderton on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:11 pm
There's a new Studio One book: More than Compressors - The Complete Guide to Dynamics in Studio One, 2nd Edition. This is an expanded and updated version of the original edition, and also includes 39 free files (presets, multipresets, audio examples, and a .song file for the Drumcoder application). The price is $12.95, but owners of the first edition can get the new edition at half-price.

Please note this is a download-only book, no physical books are shipped. However, it's a PDF, so you can print it out if you want hardcopy.

And as always...if you have questions, comments, or critiques, feel free to post them here and I'll respond. Thank you for your support of these books, it allows me to write more of them!

38 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2