15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I usually record my stuff either through a Grace m101 or a UA LA610MKII and into an RME Fireface UC II then on into Studio One.

Recently I've been set on getting the Grace m103 channel strip so I have a faster compressor option going in and some more eq flexibiltiy. Anyway, I talked myself out of that and now I'm thinking of getting the Warm Audio WA2A and the Warm Audio Pultec clone.

First of all...I'm guessing the Warm Audio Pultec clone needs a preamp either in front of it or after it...(I don't know) and as far as the WA2A...is that a preamp AND compressor or is it just a compressor and so you need to feed it with a separate preamp?

Also...because I don't know much about these external processors I want to ask...let's say I record a vocal via my Grace m101, through the RME and into Studio One 3....can I then route that vocal out of Studio One into the Warm Audio WA2A or the Warm Audio Pultec clone...and then process that vocal externally in those devices then have the result fed back into Studio One?

I know it's something to do with Pipeline...but I haven't actually done it before. Does the externally processed signal come back into Studio One on a new track or what? How does that actually work?

Thanks if you have the patience for these tedious questions!

:thumbup:

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by razorwit on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:10 am
Hi hello people
Let me see if I can take a stab at this. Disclaimer, I don't own or use either of the two devices that you reference, but I use external devices with Studio One all the time.

Let me see if I can take your questions in order:
"First of all...I'm guessing the Warm Audio Pultec clone needs a preamp either in front of it or after it...(I don't know) and as far as the WA2A...is that a preamp AND compressor or is it just a compressor and so you need to feed it with a separate preamp?"

Those devices look like they expect signal at line level so you'll want to put a mic pre in front of them, feed them from your RME via Pipeline, or route to them in S1 or TotalMix. They don't include mic pres.

"....can I then route that vocal out of Studio One into the Warm Audio WA2A or the Warm Audio Pultec clone...and then process that vocal externally in those devices then have the result fed back into Studio One?"

Yep, that's what Pipeline is for. You can either set an instance of Pipeline for each hardware device or set up the routing in TotalMix or a patchbay and just use one instance.

"Does the externally processed signal come back into Studio One on a new track or what? How does that actually work?"

Pipeline looks just like a VST fx in S1. It has an input and an output that correspond to the input and output of your hardware. It also will compensate for the latency that occurs as a result of a trip through your RME. If you don't want to use Pipeline you could set your track to output to the RME output that connects to your hardware and then set up another track with the input that connects from your hardware and that will get you a separate "print" track for your hardware, but if you do that remember that the "print" track will be a bit delayed by the trip through the RME and will probably have to be adjusted if you want to maintain phase relationships (though that isn't always required on, for example, a lead vox track).

Good luck,
Dean

Dean Winter
Windows 10, RME HDSPe MADI fx -> Lynx Aurora and Antelope Orion,
Mics, compressors, guitars and stuff.
by frank.crow on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm
Thanks for this

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by roland1 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:43 pm
I have the LA-610 Mk1. It's a good pre with decent EQ options.

What's missing in your pre life? Just curious.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by hello people on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:43 am
razorwit wroteHi hello people
Let me see if I can take a stab at this. Disclaimer, I don't own or use either of the two devices that you reference, but I use external devices with Studio One all the time.

Let me see if I can take your questions in order:
"First of all...I'm guessing the Warm Audio Pultec clone needs a preamp either in front of it or after it...(I don't know) and as far as the WA2A...is that a preamp AND compressor or is it just a compressor and so you need to feed it with a separate preamp?"

Those devices look like they expect signal at line level so you'll want to put a mic pre in front of them, feed them from your RME via Pipeline, or route to them in S1 or TotalMix. They don't include mic pres.

"....can I then route that vocal out of Studio One into the Warm Audio WA2A or the Warm Audio Pultec clone...and then process that vocal externally in those devices then have the result fed back into Studio One?"

Yep, that's what Pipeline is for. You can either set an instance of Pipeline for each hardware device or set up the routing in TotalMix or a patchbay and just use one instance.

"Does the externally processed signal come back into Studio One on a new track or what? How does that actually work?"

Pipeline looks just like a VST fx in S1. It has an input and an output that correspond to the input and output of your hardware. It also will compensate for the latency that occurs as a result of a trip through your RME. If you don't want to use Pipeline you could set your track to output to the RME output that connects to your hardware and then set up another track with the input that connects from your hardware and that will get you a separate "print" track for your hardware, but if you do that remember that the "print" track will be a bit delayed by the trip through the RME and will probably have to be adjusted if you want to maintain phase relationships (though that isn't always required on, for example, a lead vox track).

Good luck,
Dean

Thanks a lot for your help.So if Pipeline works like a vst...well let me take a step back...

1. I record a vocal on a mono track...the waveform clip is captured on that track.
2. I apply Pipeline to that track and route to my external hardware compressor
3. If I use Pipeline like a vst in that way...does that initial waveform get redrawn??

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by hello people on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:48 am
roland1 wroteI have the LA-610 Mk1. It's a good pre with decent EQ options.

What's missing in your pre life? Just curious.

Hi, yes you are right. But the LA-610 mkii compressor is apparently a little slow in engaging initial transients. Also, I felt that the Grace m103 eq options were a tad more flexible...but on further looking maybe they aren't really.

I am using the 610 mkii and the Grace m103...a coloured pre and a clean pre so yeah you're right...my preamp life is pretty ok.

But I do have the cash to invest in some other options and I was really looking for a channel strip that has a fast compressor and more flexible eq opitons.

I couldn't really find one (though the Grace m103 nearly fits the bill...and may be ok)...so I ended up looking into dedicated compressor units and dedicated eq units...and have known about the Warm Audio stuff for a while.

I mean, there is a voice in my head telling me that my current preamps are fine as is.

But I'm not 100% sure....

So...if you have any suggestions....let me know!

by roland1 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 am
You can disengage the compressor in the 610. How about putting a plugin compressor at the S1 input stage? Not in the console, but before it enters the console, real time, at the input strip.

That commits the comp to the track - there's no turning back. But you can then diversify.

The point is to catch louder transients going in, right? That would do it.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by razorwit on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:15 am
hello people wrote
Thanks a lot for your help.So if Pipeline works like a vst...well let me take a step back...

1. I record a vocal on a mono track...the waveform clip is captured on that track.
2. I apply Pipeline to that track and route to my external hardware compressor
3. If I use Pipeline like a vst in that way...does that initial waveform get redrawn??

Nope, you won't get a redraw unless you print the effect, just like you won't for a VST compressor.

Dean

Dean Winter
by matthewgorman on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 pm
Not seeing this mentioned.

Just remember that when pipeline is on ANY track, the only option for mixdowns is Realtime. I've seen that jam up more than one user over the years.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by hello people on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 pm
Great, all useful. Thank you.

Johnny Gieb has a pretty good video on youtube about Pipeline for anyone interested.

by hello people on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:18 pm
I had a mono bass track on a mono audio track in Studio One...and listening to that track in my headphones it was dead center panned, as you'd expect of a straight up and down mono track.

I put an instance of Pipeline Mono on the track and made the correct sends and returns to my external compressor and I only hear the signal out of the left headphone.

Dunno why. Anyone know?

I'm routing to a Klark Teknik 76-KT

thank you

by razorwit on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

I had a mono bass track on a mono audio track in Studio One...and listening to that track in my headphones it was dead center panned, as you'd expect of a straight up and down mono track.

I put an instance of Pipeline Mono on the track and made the correct sends and returns to my external compressor and I only hear the signal out of the left headphone.

Dunno why. Anyone know?

Yep, I've had exactly the same thing and, iirc, it's a CueMix setting. I don't remember exactly, but maybe the stereo/mono settings of the channel you're using for the compressor? I'm with a client tonight but I'll see if I can have a look at my setup when they're done. In the meantime have a look at the routing setup in CueMix.

Dean

Dean Winter
by hello people on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:27 am
I ended up figuring it out. Just stupid errors on my part. Somehow with combination of hardware/ cable routing and software send/ return routing I had managed to create a big feedback loop. All my Klark Teknik stuff is working perfectly now. Sorted it out.

The faults I hand made were a perfect storm of error each step of the way...errors in connection, jacks, software setting etc.

All good now

by frank.crow on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:54 am
hello people wroteI had a mono bass track on a mono audio track in Studio One...and listening to that track in my headphones it was dead center panned, as you'd expect of a straight up and down mono track.

Dunno why. Anyone know?

I'm routing to a Klark Teknik 76-KT

thank you

Please let me know how this plays out for you. I’m hopefully going to pick up the Klark Teknik clones of the Pultec & 1176 pretty soon.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by hello people on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pm
Read the post right before your post.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1