AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'd like to run a LINE in to my TUBEPREV2 or my AUDIOBOX to record...the manuals say DON"T plug a line signal into the instrument jack?? Any advice is appreciated. Jim
by cristofe on Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:42 pm
You've just answered your own question. :roll: But, at least you :rtfm2:

the manuals say DON"T plug a line signal into the instrument jack

So seeing as how you already know the answer is "DON'T", maybe a better question
would be "Why shouldn't I?" This might help you understand THAT answer.......

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... l-signals/

That being said we can help you better now and in the future with a bit more info......if you will post your system specs in your signature, (see my sig), we will be better able to troubleshoot your problems. Without knowing what type of pc you're running, what OS you're using, what DAW etc....we often can't recommend a "simple fix"

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by darrenporter1 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm
To get a line-level into a device that only has a mic preamp or an instrument jack, you need to get yourself a "direct box" or a "DI Box" for short. There are a ton of them to choose from. Stay away from the very cheapest ones but you don't have to spend a ton of money on the most expensive ones either. I can highly recommend anything by Radial.

Craigslist, Reverb.com, ebay could help you save a little coin on a used one.

Oh and a passive one will be what you want. Although an active one will work too but if you get an active one you will need to make sure your 48V phantom power is turned on.

You also need a standard XLR mic cable but I am assuming you have one of those already.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by cristofe on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 am
I can highly recommend anything by Radial.

:+1

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 pm
Passive DI's heavily rely on the quality of the transformer inside, and quality transformers like the Jensen transformers used by Radial are pricy.

Active DI's usually don't have/need transformers. Electronics is cheap and quality electronics is only slightly less cheap. With limited funds active DI's could be the better choice.
by darrenporter1 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:37 pm
Active DI's still have a transformer and then they have a transistor and/or op-amp based circuit as well. They typically cost a bit more than a passive, but sometimes they are about equal depending on features, quality of transformers, etc.

by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:16 pm
darrenporter1 wroteActive DI's still have a transformer and then they have a transistor and/or op-amp based circuit as well. They typically cost a bit more than a passive, but sometimes they are about equal depending on features, quality of transformers, etc.
Looks like we disagree on this. Even Radial offers active DI's without signal transformer (not to be confused with the SMPS transformer). In an active DI a signal transformer is only needed when 100% galvanic isolation is required from inputs to output. But in most applications the 'ground lift' achieved by the electronic circuit alone is good enough.
by darrenporter1 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:04 pm
you are splitting hairs.

But anyways, back to the OP before we argue him away from any more interest in this...

At some point you probably just need to decide when it is time for a better interface. While it can be argued quite convincingly that every studio needs at least one DI box in its toolbox, you can put off buying one if your interface can handle a line-level input. The money you spend now on a DI might be better invested in a better interface that will help future-proof your setup. Then you can decide later-on down the road whether or not you need a DI box.

For example, I have a radial active DI that I use for two purposes... quick-n-dirty bass DI recording (I like it better than the instrument input on my interface and sometimes I don't want to bother going through my compressor->tube mic pre->interface) and I also use it as a splitter for recording guitar tracks... the "thru" path goes to my amps -> reactive load -> line-in on interface and the line out path goes direct line-in to my interface so I have a DI guitar signal I can use later for reamping or using S-Gear on it. Oh I guess I also sometimes use it for recording acoustic guitar.

If your funds can handle it, I would recommend going with an upgraded interface. If not, find a DI box that you can afford and just run with that.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1