AudioBox USB, AudioBox Stereo and AudioBox Studio
Music Creation Suite (PS-49 Keyboard, Studio One, Notion, Nimbit, XLR cable, M7 Mic, Headphones and USB 2.0 Hub)
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys...

So I really wanted to try my hand at reamping guitars through hardware after realising I've been getting great results reamping my Dingwall NG2 through my Darkglass Alpha-Omega Ultra, but when I tried to do that with guitars, after getting two good passes I began noticing that whenever I turned on the amp (it's a little solidstate amp head that I'm reamping through the FX send so that I can use Thermionik M4 for the poweramp and then NadIR for cabinets) I've been noticing that it's been causing a loud noise (it used to not do that at first).

I know for a fact that the problem is not the amp as the same thing happened when I tried to reamp the guitars through a distortion pedal. My theory is that because the left and right line outputs are chained to the Main (and I couldn't figure out a way to free them) it's been causing a feedback loop within the interface itself, and what I feel would be my best bet is that I free the line outputs and make them single mono outputs so I can use them for reamping. Not being able to use them for monitoring later is not a problem for me because I'm permanently stuck with headphones due to budget issues anyway.

Is there anything I can do to either free the outputs or solve the feedback loop problem some other way (I can't record through a real cab because our houses are way too closely packed) or am I forced to upgrade to an interface with mono line outputs?

Here are the two good passes that I managed to get out of the amp.

https://soundcloud.com/wintermintp/one- ... dback-test

As for the impulse responses... Celestion recently entered the impulse response game for themselves and they've stated that nobody really integrated the G12H Redback speakers into a main rig yet and they even made impulse responses of the G12H Redback speakers (I think they might be the first) so I decided to try them.

Studio One 4 Professional 5.2.0 x64
Windows 10 Professional x64
Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)
CyberPowerPC GUA600
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 hex-core processor
MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC motherboard
32GB G-Skill RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

PreSonus Studio 26C
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Darkglass AO900 amplifier
Radial Pro DI/RMP
Ibanez RG9QM with one EMG 909X bridge pickup
Ibanez RGA8 with EMG 808/808
Dingwall NG2 Laguna Seca Blue
Kalium Custom Steel bass strings
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 9-80 set
single bass string (120/145)
Joyo Bantamp Zombie
Wacom Intuos Pro M
by darrenporter1 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 pm
Are you using a dedicated reamping box? If not, you really should be.

I just recently started using Celestion's IR's. Love the Blue and Gold and their G12-65 is the absolute best IR of those speakers I have heard to date. Great stuff!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by WintermintP on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am
Okay er...

Sorry for the late reply. I'm dealing with an aching torso and I have an appointment with my doctor today.

The good news is that I got a reamp rig to work by muting the armed track. The bad news is that I can't hear the amp at that point so I don't have any guidelines as to how to dial the amp tone.

So the problem is still unsolved...

@darrenporter1 As I stated in my gear sheet I actually am using a dedicated reamp box.

CyberPowerPC GUA600
32GB G-Skill RAM

PreSonus Studio 26C
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Radial Pro DI/RMP
Joyo Bantamp Zombie
Wacom Intuos Pro M
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 am
Sorry, I missed that part but yeah I think you are going to have a really hard time getting where you want to be without an interface upgrade.

However, with some trial and error you should be able to dial your tone in blind. Once you get where you need you know how to set it from that point on. When I record via IRs, (amp into Suhr Reactive Load into NadIR or Torpedo Wall of Sound) my general rule of thumb is to set my amp exactly how I set it live and then record it like that. Any tweaks needed after that is pretty much always achieved with a different mic type/placement IR and/or EQ on the channel.

Another thing you could try is, just while reamping, setting your main output device to your on-board soundcard, send your interface's main outs to the reamp box and monitor with your headphones via your computer's headphone jack. Worth a shot but in the long run I personally would find that very frustrating and would want to upgrade to a better interface.

by cristofe on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Couldn't agree more and Radial is the light and the way.

http://www.radialeng.com/reamp

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 pm
cristofe wrote

He is. I missed that. You can see in his sig he is using the Radial box. I use the dual-channel ART box and it works great too at a much lower cost.

by cristofe on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm
darrenporter1 wrote
cristofe wrote

He is. I missed that. You can see in his sig he is using the Radial box. I use the dual-channel ART box and it works great too at a much lower cost.

Ah I missed that as well. Yes, the ART boxes are less expensive and offer good value but the old saying you get what you pay for holds true here. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of ART products. I've owned a LOT of their stuff over the years, I've also A/B'd Radial and ART products and Radial occupies a higher tier of quality signal processing. Also, Radial is the bomb when it comes to DI's and reamp boxes...it's pretty much their wheelhouse. It's like comparing a Presonus interface with say M-Audio or Tascam. All will get the job done but there's no comparing Presonus' X-Max pres to M-Audio or Tascam Pres.......just sayin'...... :mrgreen:

But as to the OP's original problem......yeah, upgrading the interface to one with more I/O options or adding a monitoring solution like say Presonus' Monitor Station V2* might do the trick.

* https://www.presonus.com/products/Monitor-Station-V2

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 pm
Radial does make good stuff (I own their DI boxes) but I do have to say, they are pretty much way overpriced. I won't buy them new. They are very rugged which makes them worth getting on the used market.

My ART reamp box sounds amazing. I seriously doubt anyone would ever be able to tell there was a difference in a blind test. We're not talking about an outboard compressor or mic preamp here... we're talking about a tiny transformer and a couple of audio jacks. Same goes for my Tascam interface. Amazing results with it. I'll stack it with the XMAX's any day.

You don't have to spend a ton of money to get great results.

by cristofe on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am
I won't buy them new.

I rarely buy anything new. :mrgreen:

by WintermintP on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm
Sorry for the late reply!

Okay, I have received some funds now. I'll see how much of it I can still retain, and then I'll aim for an interface upgrade. Mighty tired of having just two outputs anyway.

@christofe I too, happen to be using a Radial reamp box. It's a Radial Pro-RMP, the blue one.

CyberPowerPC GUA600
32GB G-Skill RAM

PreSonus Studio 26C
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Radial Pro DI/RMP
Joyo Bantamp Zombie
Wacom Intuos Pro M
by darrenporter1 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:53 pm
OK wait... I just now noticed in your sig that you have both an AudioBox and a Scarlet 2i2... are you able to get S1 to recognize both at the same time? If so, you have 4 outputs right there.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1