Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I don't keep up with everything so please lend me a hand and let me know what's what with the new interfaces.

Are the following statements true?

1) USB-C 3.1 is NOT the same as Thunderbolt
2) Although the USB-C 3.1 is faster than previous USB, it is not as fast as Thunderbolt
3) Consequently, Thunderbolt should provide less latency than USB-C 3.1
4) The new Presonus USB-C 3.1 interfaces are backward compatible with USB 3 or 2 and can be used with older PCs but will not provide the speed enhancement unless the PC either has 3.1 native to the motherboard or an add-in card on a desktop
5) Thunderbolt on a PC only works if it is native to the motherboard - add-in cards don't work

It's all down hill from what's in front of the microphone. - Bob Olhsson

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by Skip Jones on Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:22 pm
1. Physically port compatable but not TB.
2. True
3. True
4. True
5 True, a lot of folks don't get this
6. Wait, there was no six

You obviously done your homework

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by shanabit on Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:51 pm
dgkenney wrote4) The new Presonus USB-C 3.1 interfaces are backward compatible with USB 3 or 2 and can be used with older PCs but will not provide the speed enhancement unless the PC either has 3.1 native to the motherboard or an add-in card on a desktop

4. In regards to this, according to Dom at the NAMM show these interfaces are using USB 2.0 transmission, only diff is they are using the USC -C connection port.

I was hoping they were using the USB 3.1 Gen 2 transmission but nope, its the same old USB 2.0 in last years model with a diff USB-C port :thumbdown:

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by dgkenney on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 pm
shanabit wrote
dgkenney wrote4) The new Presonus USB-C 3.1 interfaces are backward compatible with USB 3 or 2 and can be used with older PCs but will not provide the speed enhancement unless the PC either has 3.1 native to the motherboard or an add-in card on a desktop

4. In regards to this, according to Dom at the NAMM show these interfaces are using USB 2.0 transmission, only diff is they are using the USC -C connection port.

I was hoping they were using the USB 3.1 Gen 2 transmission but nope, its the same old USB 2.0 in last years model with a diff USB-C port :thumbdown:

Aww! Disappointing

It's all down hill from what's in front of the microphone. - Bob Olhsson

Studio One 6.5x Pro
***Optoplex i7 @ 3.4 ghz 32 gig mem running Windows 10 x64 Pro
*** Levono E520 with Win 10 x64 Pro
***Studio rig - MOTU Ultralite AVB*** Audient ASP/880***
***Mobile rig - Antelope Zen Q***
***Soundtoys/Plugin Alliance/Izotope/Slate/Nomad Factory plugs***
and....Lots of Outboard gear cause Pipeline is your friend
by darrenporter1 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:01 am
here is a great writeup on usb and thunderbolt as it applies to us...
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what- ... musicians/

The answers to some of your questions are more involved than just simple "true or false."

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Skip Jones on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am
Thanks for sharing this link. There is a lot of confusion out there. They PHYSICALLY share the same port but two different animals. This article explains it pretty well.

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by darrenporter1 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 am
Yeah and if it's true these interfaces are not true USB 3.1 then that is a letdown. I was actually looking at them pretty seriously.

But honestly, USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough for probably 99% of audio users out there.

by AndySweet on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:07 pm
RME Babyface use USB 2 so it's possible they have improved drivers to equal the RTL of those units maybe I'm asking too much but I would jump on one if that was the case.
by robertfrench3 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm
If you compare the technical specs of the new boxes to the old, they seem to be exactly the same. Not surprised about USB 2.0, as that is how it works on the silver 2|4 w/ USBC that was already out. This looks to be just a connector change and cosmetic update.
by darrenporter1 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:29 pm
I was wondering if that wasn't the case... what's the point of going USB-C if it's not also going to USB 3.1?

If that's true then the price-drops on the silvers you can get now would be a great deal.

by shanabit on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 am
robertfrench3 wroteIf you compare the technical specs of the new boxes to the old, they seem to be exactly the same. Not surprised about USB 2.0, as that is how it works on the silver 2|4 w/ USBC that was already out. This looks to be just a connector change and cosmetic update.

New black face and a USB-C port, that is all :shock:

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by AndySweet on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 am
shanabit wrote
robertfrench3 wroteIf you compare the technical specs of the new boxes to the old, they seem to be exactly the same. Not surprised about USB 2.0, as that is how it works on the silver 2|4 w/ USBC that was already out. This looks to be just a connector change and cosmetic update.

New black face and a USB-C port, that is all :shock:

by Benoni on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:22 pm
I have an 1824c and it's really a great interface. I can get very low latency (not even noticeable) and the pre-amps are great.

We have a full review of the unit here - https://youtu.be/MnH_j65MUb8

The truth is USB 3.0 doesn't really add anything for audio. It would allow higher bandwidth, but it's not going to drastically reduce latency. You're still dealing with the USB stack and isochronous data.

Thunderbolt is a different story because it communicates with the CPU in a different manner.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1