18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Hopefully I can explain this clearly enough.

So I'm using a usb keyboard to trigger sounds like most people :) But I noticed a delay and went to the processing tab to play with the latency.

Set it to medium and switched on "low latency monitoring for instruments". Boom, keyboard feels as close as I need. BUT...it lowers the volume of the track I'm on!

Unselect the monitor button and it's back to the correct volume...but I obviously cannot trigger sounds etc.

If I turn off "low latency monitoring for instruments" the volumes behave but I have the keyboard latency back.

Is there a way to stop the monitor function from dropping volume with "low latency monitoring for instruments" on?

It's coming through a normal windows interface so no fancy soundcard. But this is a volume thing, right? I have zero issues with dropped frames etc on any of the latency settings. Normally set it to minimum unless I need to trigger my controller.

Thanks and I hope I explained :)

Studio One 4 Pro - Win 10 x64 - 24GB Ram - i7 QC
by tomgastauer1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm
I have this same problem! Hopefully someone will respond with a solution. I'm using a Roland A-800pro into S1 4.1

Tom

Windows 7, 2.4ghz i7 quad core, 16gbt ram, UA Apollo Twin Duo USB, UA Octo Core Satalite USB , Studio One 4.1

Studio One 4.0, 3.5
Sonar Platinum
Faderport 8
Console One
Apollo Twin USB Duo
UAD Octo Core Satellite
Windows 7 64x
I7 Quad-core
16g ram
by SimpleSy on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm
Yeh, it makes no sense...but someone might have the reason at hand :)

by Bbd on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:20 pm
SimpleSy

You should create a support ticket for your issue. Whatever Window's audio driver you are using could be suspect but they should be able to flush it out.
Have not heard of this issue so if you find out what caused it, please report back for others.
Thanks.
Bbd

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by niles on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 pm
SimpleSy wroteSet it to medium and switched on "low latency monitoring for instruments". Boom, keyboard feels as close as I need. BUT...it lowers the volume of the track I'm on!

Unselect the monitor button and it's back to the correct volume...but I obviously cannot trigger sounds etc.
The audio signal of Instruments with Low latency monitoring for instruments enabled, will bypass plugins in its path that are introducing a latency > 3 ms when monitored. So it could be an insert is disabled as soon as you monitor its path.

Instruments within a Low latency monitoring for instruments path, have a green instead of blue activate button and a Z on their channel(s). Inserts on the channels that are included in the low latency path also have a green activation button. Inserts that are (partially*) bypassed ( > 3ms) are lacking a clear visual indicator of their current state and are just blue.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by SimpleSy on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:39 pm
Thanks peeps. I think I'll go the support route if nobody other than me and Tom have experienced it.

Another thing I've noticed...while it works (despite the audio drop) the little coloured icon only lights green in the property window. The one under the main mixer volume has no effect on anything :/

by tomgastauer1 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 pm
I'll open a ticket as well, maybe two at the same time will get them to jump on it quicker.

Thanks for everyone's help! You guys on this forum are really cool to always offer advise, much appreciated.

Tom

Windows 7, 2.4ghz i7 quad core, 16gbt ram, UA Apollo Twin Duo USB, UA Octo Core Satalite USB , Studio One 4.1

Studio One 4.0, 3.5
Sonar Platinum
Faderport 8
Console One
Apollo Twin USB Duo
UAD Octo Core Satellite
Windows 7 64x
I7 Quad-core
16g ram
by niles on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 am
SimpleSy wroteThanks peeps. I think I'll go the support route if nobody other than me and Tom have experienced it.

Another thing I've noticed...while it works (despite the audio drop) the little coloured icon only lights green in the property window. The one under the main mixer volume has no effect on anything :/
I think you did not understand my post. It is expected behavior when Low Latency Monitoring is enabled because inserts with a latency > 3 ms will not be included in the low latency monitoring path. So if you have a compressor in the chain with a latency > 3 ms it will be bypassed when monitoring that chain.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by SimpleSy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 am
Sorry, I wasn't replying to your post.

It is not what you describe as there are no effects in the chain. Channels that do have effects still drop the same amount which isn't a reflection of what it would be with effects off. But you make a lot of sense and it's worth keeping an eye on that.

by niles on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:28 am
SimpleSy wroteSorry, I wasn't replying to your post.

It is not what you describe as there are no effects in the chain. Channels that do have effects still drop the same amount which isn't a reflection of what it would be with effects off. But you make a lot of sense and it's worth keeping an eye on that.
Does the level drop too when you have Dropout protection set to Minimum?

by SimpleSy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 am
No, sir.

As said in OP it also doesn't do it when LLMfI is off. But with it to min or low you don't even have LLMfI as an option. But with Min or Low set I also have the latency on my input keyboard (only in a busy arrangement, but that's not my issue).

You sound like you may be on to something? :)

by SimpleSy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 am
A quick test on an empty single instrument file has everything behaving. But I don't have latency on anything anyways, obviously.

The LLMfI on or off toggle on the main mixer does nothing in any scenario for me.

But there is obviously a correlation between my issue and a busy arrangement. RAM and CPU usage is fine, though. Nowhere near maxing out (or even 25%).

Your theory/knowledge on bypassing effects is very interesting but it doesn't match any levels if I turn all effects off. And it's just the monitored track that dips. But I feel you might be onto something.

by niles on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 am
SimpleSy wroteBut with it to min or low you don't even have LLMfI as an option.
Correct. With Minimum it's completely off (close to how Studio One worked before the double buffer system was introduced). On Low it depends if your sound device's driver buffer size is larger than the process block size used by the Low Dropout protection setting. So it seems your buffer size is smaller or equal to 128 samples.

SimpleSy wroteBut with Min or Low set I also have the latency on my input keyboard (only in a busy arrangement, but that's not my issue).
That's most likely due to a plugin that is introducing a noticeable latency. With the dropout protection set to Minimum (and thus LLM off) that latency affects anything in the project. With LLM enabled the monitored path temporarily uses a low latency monitor path where the latency never is bigger than 3ms (because any plugin introducing more, will not be included). If that's a plugin that raises the volume, the volume will drop.

SimpleSy wroteYour theory/knowledge on bypassing effects is very interesting but it doesn't match any levels if I turn all effects off. And it's just the monitored track that dips. But I feel you might be onto something.
What is the Total Plug-in Delay in your troublesome (below the sample rate, next to the performance meter in the transport bar)?
And what insert or instrument causes that (check the performance monitor sorted on latency)?

by SimpleSy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:25 pm
niles wroteWhat is the Total Plug-in Delay in your troublesome (below the sample rate, next to the performance meter in the transport bar)?
And what insert or instrument causes that (check the performance monitor sorted on latency)?

WHA!!!! You absolute star :punk:

TIL that's where to find the total latency :+1

So it was 86ms! After turning all but main insert off...nothing changed. So I went through those on the main.

Turns out the Fabfilter limiter demo was a massive 61ms of that 86ms! That's a massive amount. The stock limiter was barely any. bleep! :lol:

So I turned it off and I get no keyboard delay even in minimum/low. If I switch to medium with LLMfI the audio stays the same and behaves perfectly.

So you fixed the issue, dude!!!! Who'd have thought that Fabfilter limiter would be so destructive. Wow.

by SimpleSy on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm
In case it isn't obvious...THANK YOU :punk:

by jpettit on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm
Niles know what he is talkin about. ;)

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by niles on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm
Glad it is sorted.
The LLM can be a bit confusing!

by tommytrenton on Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 am
I have the same issue. Its pretty annoying to say the least. Also id like the tracks to not arm them selves when I click on a track. If I want it warmer i will arm. So how to I turn off auto-arm tracks? This would fix the annoying volume drops when not recording.

18 posts
Page 1 of 1