35 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
If you guys do figure this out, maybe you can post it in "Tips and Tricks" or somewhere so that others - including me - can better understand how these soloing features interact in S1.

I mute / solo tracks, both audio & MIDI, and then just press to deactivate the global solo button to get everything playing again. But I'm flying by the seat of my pants - just doing whatever works at the time rather than following a specific guideline from the manual.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by snb1 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:54 pm
Cool thanks Lokeyfly. Yeah I remember going over that chart. It's nicely done. Maybe the reason why it only works for midi tracks and not audio tracks could be the same reason why we're able to cycle through different take layers with a key command on audio tracks but not able to cycle through the different take layers on midi tracks which I really wish we had the ability to. But that's another topic of discussion.

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm
roland1 wroteIf you guys do figure this out, maybe you can post it in "Tips and Tricks" or somewhere so that others - including me - can better understand how these soloing features interact in S1.

I mute / solo tracks, both audio & MIDI, and then just press to deactivate the global solo button to get everything playing again. But I'm flying by the seat of my pants - just doing whatever works at the time rather than following a specific guideline from the manual.

And that's the beauty of working in Studio One. You'll stumble across workflows or techniques that you might not think will work initially, but somehow just works. But maybe that's just how it works. Like when I stated to Lokeyfly that maybe it's the same reason why we're not able to switch through different layer takes on a midi event with a key command like we can with an audio track. That can be a simple statement of "We can't give you all the sauce at once, stick around and you'll be surprise what we'll have in store" lol.

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:03 am
Tried soloing a MIDI track in the same way. I was not getting a solo to sound as your.2nd video shows for MIDI instruments. I first checked from NI Kpmplete's.Kontakt, so I double checked with Presence XT. Still no sound, upon Global solo deselect.

When I simply selected solo only, and not selecting mute prior as you had, then deselecting Global solo worked for instruments, and as Jemusic pointed out, with that track of course being monitor selected, and highlighted. Pretty normal behavior that way. It's just a tad strange audio, and MIDI take on different occurrences with undoing global solo. Looks like I'll have to do a check with v2 and v3 just to see consistency there.

Undoing global solo has become sort of a workflow for no doubt, many of us. There may be some outside chance that VST instruments behave differently this way from solo undo, so for weeding out any variables, let's use Presence XT only for instrument checks. You probably already have. Just trying to narrow things down. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:26 am
Yeah guys, this seems to be something that when better understood, we can post Good point.

Actually it will eliminate any poor bastards such as us who fall in the same well! :) (Just showing my sense of humor).

Seriously, undo global solo has developed its own workflow, so a better understanding is useful. Like you Snb1, I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I try to cover this stuff while getting some music done.

Doing home improvement here, so I apologise for any delayed comments. In a couple of hours, I'll do that follow up with versions 2 & 3, toward MIDI comparison. Away from computer.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55 am
Lol ok cool, no problem . Take your time. I'll be around.

SkipNo Beet
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:01 am
Notes Only: Studio One Ver. 2.6 and 4.1

MIDI check of Global Off and results of track solo:
Settings: Desired track monitor on, highlighted, select play to start over music region that includes multiple instrument and audio.

Scenario: Mute first, then solo on same track (make sure no global mute & solo indicators are ON at this time)
1. Selecting Mute first, then Solo (global Solo & Mute signals illuminated). All other tracks, auto mute. selected track will solo as expected.
2. While playing, undo global solo, and all other tracks play EXCEPT the track solo'd in step 1.

Scenario: Do not Mute first, only solo on same track (make sure no global mute & solo indicators are ON at this time)
3. Select Solo (global Solo signal is illuminated, and not global mute). All other tracks, auto mute. selected track will solo as expected.
4. While playing, undo global solo, and all other tracks play WITH the track solo'd in step 3.

Studio One therefore globally remembers any muted tracks, and returns to the selected muted tracks, if they were manually selected. The Global mute indicator indicates this is in place.
IMO, This seems to be exactly what to expect. (Yes/No?)

The reason I started with version 2 is I can send the same file up to v3, and v4 as necessary.

UPDATE: I proofed this out on v4, and it is the same global solo functionality.
I also checked with an audio track, and it is exactly the same as with MIDI instruments.

It all seems to be what to expect with global switching (with Studio One). One need only look at the global mute when deselecting global solo, and there is a clear visual of any manual mutes made. even on the same track soloed, which I thought I knew, but it's often not easy on reflection or away from the computer. Now I know for sure. :XD:
Muting on your same soloed track, results in the same mute override, when deselecting global solo.

I suspect we can remove "Bug" in the title? (or state [Solved]. That would be your call, Snb1.
Any further observations by others should confirm the above test. Just make sure to start with global solo and mute, are not on (not illuminated).

snb1, your supplied videos helped tremendously. Otherwise at least with these type of issues, things can slip through the cracks making observations harder to interpret. For example, seeing your global Mute and Solo status, track selection sequence, and area where to look, confirmed a lot! Cool beans!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:36 pm
Yessir no problem at all. Thank you guys for taking the time out of your busy schedule to analyze this situation. I guess it's safe to say that this issue has been resolved. I'll just have to un-mute before I hit the solo button. No biggie.

SkipNo Beet
by Bbd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:40 pm
Good to hear!
:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lokeyfly on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 am
I'll post in tips & tricks as mentioned.

The workflow benefit of undo solo, works nicely for the two paths discussed here.

An added 3rd benefit is multiple mute/un-mute of tracks, also touched on in this thread. That is by the same convention as deselecting global solo,  but the difference being manually muting numerous track mutes where one would want to mute out a number of tracks, yet have those group of mutes easily switchable or returned. Very beneficial when auditioning a mix, tracking where several tracks need to be muted, out, then returned, etc.

We likely all work in these various ways to some degree, but posting it as a tip is a very good idea, roland1. Thank you. Thx all.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am
roland1 wroteIf you guys do figure this out, maybe you can post it in "Tips and Tricks" or somewhere so that others - including me - can better understand how these soloing features interact in S1.

Yes that does sound like a good idea.

SkipNo Beet
by Lokeyfly on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm
If either of you guys want to create the tricks/tips, by all means run with it.

My notes were only for refetence, so they are a bit vanilla for comparison use only on this thread. The tricks and tips post could perhaps break down the scope, differences for global solo undo, and in addition revert to manual track mutes by the same solo undo. You know, along some tricks & tips theme.

snb1, it's really your ball so either go for it, text me and ill add it, or reply how you want to "Whip It" (hah, remember DEVO?)
"Crack that whip. Give the past a slip, step on a crack, break your Momma's back. When a problem comes along, you must whip it........ Devo: Whip It" 1980.

I'm almost finished completing top decking on a floor. 2 hours of daylight left, and I'll have it done. Very satisfying, but not as much as writing a song. ;)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:03 pm
Sure, the hard part would be to figure out how to explain it while keeping it short, simple, and straight to the point. If yaw have an idea on a way to do it, go ahead a take a stab at it.

SkipNo Beet
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:44 pm
Take your time. I'll text you, and draft something up. Use whatever works.

Yep, short is good. Besides, others can expand on the topic.
~Talk soon~

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 pm
snb1 wroteYessir no problem at all. Thank you guys for taking the time out of your busy schedule to analyze this situation. I guess it's safe to say that this issue has been resolved. I'll just have to un-mute before I hit the solo button. No biggie.

Actually :lol: I don't know what I was thinking when I said I'll just have to un-mute before I hit the solo button because that would be going against what I was attempting to do. Which was to have some tracks on mute, solo those tracks if needed, hit the Global Solo to send those tracks back to their previous state which was muted. If I was to un-mute those tracks before soloing them, then when I hit the Global Solo button, it would go back to being un-muted which is what I didn't want. But I did except the fact that it is just how it is and that it's not a bug. :)

SkipNo Beet

35 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2