Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
IOS Question
I name my current work (WIP) with the Title followed by the date as in "Hello 0119" after I work on it the next day I want "Hello 0120". How can I update the File name that appears in my iCloud list in Notion.
Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by Surf.Whammy on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 am
robertthompson1 wroteIOS Question
I name my current work (WIP) with the Title followed by the date as in "Hello 0119" after I work on it the next day I want "Hello 0120". How can I update the File name that appears in my iCloud list in Notion.
Thanks.

According to the NOTION for iOS help file, it works the same way as the full version of NOTION . . . :)

THOUGHTS

Use "Save As" to save the score and give it a different file name . . .

This is the simple way to do it, but the score with the older file name continues to exist . . .

If you want to do this in a more advanced way, there should be a way to do it; but it is more complex . . .

If you want to change the name of the file, then this might require a third-party application that lets you make changes to the data iOS maintains, although perhaps not . . .

FILES IN iOS 11

Based on the strategy you described, I think that you want to use "Save As", since this strategy creates a "Do It Yourself (DIY)" archival system, where you can refer to a score as it existed on a certain day; but if you literally want to have one file for a score and to change the date portion of its filename each time you work on the score, then this is another matter which can be done as an advanced iOS computing activity . . .

If "Save As" provides the solution, then you don't need to read the rest of this post--at least for a while . . .

[NOTE: Sooner or later, you will use all the memory in your iPad, and then some of the following information will be helpful . . . ]

If you are running iOS 11 or higher, then look at the user guide information for the "Files" feature . . .

"How to Use iOS 11's New File Manager"(Gadget Hacks)

This is the link to the iPad User Guide for iOS 11 at the Apple website, which provides some useful information about things you can do with iOS File Manager (a.k.a., "Files") . . .

[NOTE: Apple refers to the "long-press" gesture as "tap and hold" . . . ]

iPad User Guide for iOS 11 ~ Using iOS File Manager to Rename a File (Apple Customer Support)

There is something called a "long-press" gesture where you tap on a file name but hold your finger for a long time . . .

This makes it possible to do several things with a file, including renaming the file . . .

How this fits with NOTION for iOS is another matter, and there probably is a folder that NOTION for iOS uses to store scores, which more than likely adds a bit of complexity to renaming a file, but perhaps not . . .

ADDITIONAL iOS WEIRDNESS

I have not done so much with iOS 11 and iOS 12, but in earlier versions of iOS when a file or whatever was "deleted", it wasn't actually deleted; and over time what happened is that the data storage area became filled, even though there appeared to be nothing in it . . .

There was and perhaps continues to be a way to clear "deleted" data, but it's an advanced activity--at least in the sense of discovering how to do it . . .

The reason for this is that iOS uses what one might call an "automagical data management system", and until recently none of the Apple folks gave much attention to the way "deleted" data inevitably accumulated . . .

Folks who enjoy conspiracy theories might suggest that Apple did this (a) to encourage folks to buy iPhones, iPads, and other iOS devices with as much memory as possible; but no matter what you do and how much memory your iOS device has, sooner or later it will appear that there is no available memory, even though for all you can see, there is no data; and additional related conspiracy theories include (b) using this as an incentive to encourage people to use iCloud and (c) the likelihood that Apple software designers are pseudo-human automatons and find the idea that humans are imperfect to be alarmingly antithetical to the way things work on their home planet (my personal favorite conspiracy theory), where since nobody sent them the memo explaining that renaming a file is something a human might want to do, the idea never occurred to them, hence the logic which suggests it makes no sense to program something that nobody on their home planet ever would imagine doing . . .

phpBB [video]

I have what I think is a second-generation iPad and several types of iPods but no iPhone; and I have NOTION for iOS, but I don't use it. Mostly, I bought NOTION for IOS to say "Thanks!" to the NOTION software engineers and to increase the customer base . . .

[NOTE: Here in the sound isolation studio, my perspective is that an iPad is like an iPhone that (a) does not work as a telephone and (b) does not cost $150 a month more than a pay-as-you-go Tracfone . . . :+1 ]

I am a registered Apple Developer for Mac OS X applications, iOS applications, and whatever one develops for Safari; and I help folks with Mac OS X and iOS every once in a while--problems like (a) I deleted all my photos and videos, but my 32GB of memory says it's full and (b) how do I get copies of my text messages and notes?

Solving some of these types of problems requires using a third-party utility application that runs on the Mac, but other solutions require knowing a bit more about the way iOS works in relation with iTunes (things like syncing and finding stuff in iTunes that is stored on your iOS device) . . .

I cannot tell you off the top of my head how to change the name of a file in NOTION for iOS, but there is a way to do it such that you literally are changing the name of the file rather than doing a simple "Save As" in NOTION for iOS, but so what . . .

It's complicated, and it's not my fault . . . :ugeek:

The simple solution is to do a "Save As", which NOTION for iOS supports without delving into what one might call "iOS La-La Land" . . .

The User Guide for iOS and your device is available in iBooks, so you can download it and then view it in iBooks, where the File Manager and what it can do is explained, but basically the procedure for renaming a file begins with finding the file in iOS File Manager and then doing a "long-press" gesture, which causes the various options to become visible--including the file rename option . . .

You can do a search on "iOS User Guide" at the Apple website in the "Support" section, and it will produce a list of available user guides, all of which are specific to devices (iPhone or iPad), and this is how you find the information relating to what the iOS File Manager can do . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
Last edited by Surf.Whammy on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by robertthompson1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 am
Thanks to you all.I used the file app and long press.

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1