12 posts
Page 1 of 1
New user question here.
When I'm making an overdub recording on an audio track, how can I hear the previously recorded audio on that track

Studio One Pro 5.5.2.86528, Mac Mini M1, 16Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
by garyshepherd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:57 am
Are you dropping in to that track? Punch in should allow that. Otherwise just record on another track while listening to the first one - then edit together.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by timconway1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 am
Thanks but I'm recording a vocal track a phrase at a time and I want to get the cue from the previous phrase. I don't want to have to set up a new punch in point every time I do this. Sounds like that would be very time consuming. For the same reasons I don't want to create a new track every time I record the next prase.
Hmmm, I didn't realise this limitation in S1's recording method. I need a work around

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
by gwp9999 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:10 am
I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Why not describe how you would like S1 to act for what you are trying to do and what DAW you use to do this now.

HP 870 3.40 ghz Intel Core i7-6700 16gb Ram, Win10-64
by timconway1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 am
gwp9999 wroteI'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Why not describe how you would like S1 to act for what you are trying to do and what DAW you use to do this now.

I'm recording a vocal track a phrase at a time. When I come to record the next phrase I want to pick up the cue (i.e. when to start singing) from the previous phrase. The problem is that as soon as you hit Record you don't hear any audio that was previously recorded on the track.

I've migrated from Sonar where this wasn't a problem. You could overdub record on a track and still hear what had been previously recorded.

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
by garyshepherd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:51 am
Because I am not a technically great singer I do sometimes do a phrase or line at a time. The separate track method works perfectly for me - but you say you don't want to do it that way. Not sure why, but its your choice - you maybe have 2 or 3 tracks and just switch between them - you don't need a separate track for every phrase as that would be untenable!

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Tacman7 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 am
I work with punch in on all the time.

So S1 will only record between the loop markers with punch in on.

If you work in arranger sections it's really easy to set the loop markers by clicking on a section or event and hit the 'P' key.

So you would hear what you've recorded then start singing the next part right when record kicks in.

Works great for me.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by timconway1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am
garyshepherd wrote Not sure why,

To me it just doesn't seem like a very elegant or efficient process/method

garyshepherd wrote you maybe have 2 or 3 tracks and just switch between them - you don't need a separate track for every phrase

Yep, at the moment this would seem the best way around it

Tacman7 wroteIf you work in arranger sections it's really easy to set the loop markers by clicking on a section or event and hit the 'P' key.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "arranger sections" but I'll experiment with Punch. It still sounds a bit of a faff resetting loop markers every time I move onto a new phrase though.

Now if I was a better singer then problem solved

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
by edramsey on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 am
Hi. Have you played with the metronome pre-roll? I'm working on other things right now and not at my DAW, but if I am remembering correctly you can put your cursor where you want to start recording (at the end of your current track), arm your track, set the metronome to one or two bars of pre-roll and press start. Would that do what you want?

You also might want to consider opening the arranger track and setting up your arrange markers as you go. They give you some added capabilities during the arranging/editing phase.

Good luck with this.

Blessings.

-Ed

Studio One 4.5.4 Professional / Notion 6 x64 / Logic X / iZotope Neutron, Ozone, RX / Macbook Pro (early 2015) 2.9 GHz Core i5 8G Mojave / Glyph & G-Drive 8TB External USB3 / PreSonus Studio 18|10 USB / iConnectMIDI4+ / Presonus FaderPort 2 / Casio Privia PX-560 / Presonus ATOM / TC-Helicon VoiceLIve 3X
by garyshepherd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:09 pm
timconway1 wroteTo me it just doesn't seem like a very elegant or efficient process/method

garyshepherd wrote you maybe have 2 or 3 tracks and just switch between them - you don't need a separate track for every phrase

timconway1 wroteYep, at the moment this would seem the best way around it

Not sure what process other than punch in and out that would handle what you want - and I wouldn't want to work that way anyway when it is so easy to set up new tracks - and then edit afterwards (audio editing is also a breeze). Personally I find 2 or 3 tracks which I switch between is certainly efficient and works well , including with editing the audio after recording. Elegance I am not worried about ! You should find that the workflow in S1 is really good - you may need to find slightly different methods than other DAW's.

by darrenporter1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:26 pm
I would be shocked if there wasn't a video on YouTube comparing all of the ways you can do punch-ins in S1. For this feature you could even watch one that was made for version 2 I would imagine.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by michaelrendall1 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:39 pm
Preferences, advanced, console, audio track monitoring mutes playback

I9 7940x
64GB DDR4
NVME 970 evo
Gigabyte 1060

MacOS HS/Win10

ATCSCM25