35 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
When I mute an audio track via the track on the song page, then without unmuting, go directly into selecting the solo button, unsolo the track via the "Global Solo" button which will go back to the track being muted, then try to solo it again via the "Global Solo" button, I expect to hear the audio being played back because the track says that it is soloed. But instead I'm not able to hear any audio. Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments
Jan-16-2019 17-52-42.gif
Last edited by snb1 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by Jemusic on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 pm
I used a large session to test this. What happens with me is if I mute a track of interest it goes silent in the mix. Now if I click on either the solo button for that track or the global solo, I immediately hear the track itself. (Assuming it is selected of course)

FYI my setting under Options (Preferences)/Advanced/Console for Solo Follows Selection is unchecked.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by snb1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 am
Jemusic wroteI used a large session to test this. What happens with me is if I mute a track of interest it goes silent in the mix. Now if I click on either the solo button for that track or the global solo, I immediately hear the track itself. (Assuming it is selected of course)

FYI my setting under Options (Preferences)/Advanced/Console for Solo Follows Selection is unchecked.

Do exactly as it is showing in the gif. In the same exact order. Then tell me if you have the same results.

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by Mirek Mach on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am
snb1 wroteDo exactly as it is showing in the gif. In the same exact order. Then tell me if you have the same results.

I can confirm it. Exactly as shown in your .gif.

[Mod Edit: Per Code of Conduct, please refrain from personal attacks. MG]

[HP G4 Z2 workstation] - Win 10 Pro, i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, 2x 500GB SSD + 2TB "classic", NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB, 2x 1920*1200px Eizo monitors;
Studio One Pro from v.1.6 (now 4.6.2), Melodyne Editor 4.2.4;
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB, FaderPort 2018.
by snb1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am
Mirek Mach wrote
snb1 wroteDo exactly as it is showing in the gif. In the same exact order. Then tell me if you have the same results.

[It's pity that Jemusic's version of Stuio One isn't obtainable for us ordinary mortals. Because (almost) everytime somebody finds some issue then we can read here that Jemusic hasn't that problem, so he definitely use some special edition.. :-)]

Thanks for confirming Mirek Mach. I believe that jemusic had missed a step after reading his comment. That's why I've asked him to do exactly as its shown in the .gif then report back.

SkipNo Beet
by Jemusic on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am
Yes I did follow gif exactly and got same result for sure. But I don't see it is a bug necessarily. Could be more behaviour. When I solo the muted track I hear it. I wouldn't use global solo to do it. When clicking on Global solo I see it as mainly the muted state being returned which sounds sensible. The way to hear the muted track is by un-muting it.

I should mention I also use a Faderport 8 and the Clear Global Solo/Muting operations are much faster and easier there.

When I follow well listed point form instructions in order to create a bug I tend to get results that are mixed. Often I do see the same behaviour. Other times I may not see it due to my workflow not taking me into areas that other people go into. There is a grey area between bugs and behaviour as well. DAW's sometimes have quirky behaviour, it depends on how you look at it. I appreciate people fine tuning some DAW behaviour though. You learn something and it will often improve it.

I run V4 on Windows and MAC and I definitely see differences in how both those platforms can behave sometimes. Mostly its good though and pretty stable.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by PreAl on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm
Behaviour confirmed (bugs have "behaviours" btw).

I think what Jemusic is trying to say is this is "behaviour by design". I disagree, looks like a bug causing a certain behaviour to me.

Is this issue just noticed in the latest version? In which case it is a change in "behaviour".

I suggest you create a support ticket and get some real answers to this from people who are qualified to make design decisions.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by snb1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm
Jemusic wroteYes I did follow gif exactly and got same result for sure. But I don't see it is a bug necessarily. Could be more behaviour. When I solo the muted track I hear it. I wouldn't use global solo to do it. When clicking on Global solo I see it as mainly the muted state being returned which sounds sensible. The way to hear the muted track is by un-muting

Thanks for reporting back. I definitely believe it's a bug because it behaves as expected in the formal 4.1.1. The reason I use this workflow is because I tend to use the global solo as a quick way to solo a group of instruments, e.g a kick, bass, chords, and perc 1. And sometimes the elements I want to add to the global solo or as I sometimes call it quick solo are muted. Instead of hitting the un-mute, then the solo buttons, I just hit the solo buttons, that would essentially solo the tracks. Then from there when I hit the global solo button, all the solo tracks would then go back to their previous state, which would be either muted or un-muted. For me and my workflow, that would have essentially created a bus that would only have two main functions and that would be to mute or solo a selected group of instruments at any time. That's probably the best way that I can explain it.
Last edited by snb1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm
Mirek Mach wrote

[Mod Edit: Per Code of Conduct, please refrain from personal attacks. MG]

Thank you. Sorry my guy, I think you took what I said out of context. I wasn't trying to come at Jemusic disrespectfully. The way he explain it had led me to believe that he had missed a step. So I wasn't sure if he had accidentally missed one of the steps that I displayed in the .gif. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

SkipNo Beet
by PreAl on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm
How can a joke like that be a "personal attack"? It was funny and not derogatory in any way whatsoever, he said he must have some special build of studio one that never goes wrong. That's a genuine joke. It's actually quite funny. How can anybody regard that as an attack or personal??

A personal attack is when you call somebody a bad thing. Just chill out guys nobody is having a go at anybody!

I despair must we all behave like robots in these forums? Allow some room for manouvre otherwise people will stop posting.

Love and peace!

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by roland1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:19 pm
snb1 wrote
Mirek Mach wrote
snb1 wrote[Mod Edit: Per Code of Conduct, please refrain from personal attacks. MG]

Thank you. Sorry my guy, I think you took what I said out of context. I wasn't trying to come at Jemusic disrespectfully. The way he explain it had led me to believe that he had missed a step. So I wasn't sure if he had accidentally missed one of the steps that I displayed in the .gif. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Recently, [I will not use the person's name] told someone who was inquiring about the lack of "grouping" options that there were lots of grouping options on PC version, maybe Mac version lacks them. In short, the person complaining was supposedly wrong. Well, as it turns out, there aren't many grouping options at all on either platform. Spoke too soon, I guess...

For that reason, I can substantiate what snb1 is saying. I'm not going out of my way to make enemies here with company mods, but I also don't want to be "gaslighted" (look it up on Google, it's an interesting word) each time I (or others here) bring up a problem with Studio One. If something is broken, then we need to address the problem and talk about it, not pretend there's no problem.

I think the behavior snb1 spoke about is accurate. As someone involved in writing about psychology, I also look for patterns in behavior, and this is definitely a pattern. Negative comment is made, immediate denial/minimizing/reversing of accusation to question the accuser (a "DARVO"-like behavior; look that one up, too. It's common.)

No offense. I like Studio One, but I'm not a big fan of censorship to avoid accountability. But I will withhold using the person's name, otherwise my post will get nuked, I suspect.

[Geez, I'm on a roll lately. Must be the shutdown.] :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Jemusic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:48 am
I recently did have a bad experience with the Mac in terms of grouping options but it was the right hand mouse click that was broken for a while in 4.1.1. on Mac. It is fixed now in the latest release. I was getting no grouping options on Mac and some on Windows. Now they are both the same and agreed, some features but more could be added. It depends how much you rely on groups. Different workflow can minimise the use of them. The basics are there. You can create many groups and effect all the tracks within a group at once which is a basic requirement.

With the recent solo issue though like I said the Faderport's ability to un-solo and un-mute things is great so you never have issues doing what you want from there. I don't run into this issue so much with my workflow. But if it causes others to find it difficult then it needs to be addressed. They recently changed some soloing options in terms of effects and buses so it can be done.

We are very interested in what people are finding with the software. The good things, the faults and bugs and all. The moderators that are on the Studio One beta test team can get these things more directly to the developers.

by roblof on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:14 am
This came up when I googled :D

https://youtu.be/l5GDLGaaL80

roland1 wrote"gaslighted" (look it up on Google, it's an interesting word)

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by roland1 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 am
roblof wroteThis came up when I googled :D

https://youtu.be/l5GDLGaaL80

roland1 wrote"gaslighted" (look it up on Google, it's an interesting word)

[Using my best alt-right conspiratorial voice] "THEY" want you to think that it's all about methane. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Steve Carter on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:03 am
I Googled 'Darvo' and was shocked to find that he was the supreme emperor of the Daleks out to destroy mankind - we're obviously in more trouble than we thought, kind of puts these bugs into perspective!

Regards...

Sorry, hold that, it was my typo - as you were... Phew
(For the Mod's - This is a little light-handed banter - I love Roland's comments)

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
From who remains tI be anonymous: If something is broken, then we need to address the problem and talk about it, not pretend there's no problem.

I think the behavior snb1 spoke about is accurate. As someone involved in writing about psychology, I also look for patterns in behavior, and this is definitely a pattern. Negative comment is made, immediate denial/minimizing/reversing of accusation to question the accuser (a "DARVO"-like behavior; look that one up, too. It's common.)

First, there should be a determination that something is as you say "broken". So lets not assume anything. I'm sure you're psychology writings touch on that. There were no negative comments by anyone here. Only inquiries. This isn't a psyche ward. It's a place to identify problems, and share community support.

In passing, and this is by the opinion of many, this forum is insightful, friendly, and there is a helpful culture here which has been around for quite some time.That is from both moderators, and users who put in the time to assist where they can,. Instead of labeling others, let's try to resolve and help rather than  throw insignificant  web hoo-doo around. TY.

With such a program, utilizing hard/software  or connectivity issues, there can be many conditions known, or unknown , so users here answer, offer, or add additional information in the hopes of covering an issue best as possible. The intent is always to provide the poster asking the question with the best information to draw from. Or extract more clarity to their question.

There's always room for humor, or some fun ribbing, but I believe the comments removed were appropriate. I also think it takes good character to apologise, so kudos, there.

I am not a Moderator, but the gas light link someone attached is (like it or not) in poor taste, not to mention WAY off topic. Interesting how glass houses, and stones interact.

On to the question:
I have to use Global Solo, and global Mute while seeing if it actually is a part of a channel Solo/mute, since track and channel paths can vary. So I have not as yet seen any different use of Solo and Mute since I believe version 2.5, or there abouts. The solo/mute conditions are brought up from time to time, so always check the channel solo/mute conditions as well. This is also why as pointed out, Faderport 8 will ignore track solo, because it relates more to channel solo. This is by design. Of course not having a faderport, always see how solo behaves within the mixer channels. I'll check this further by comparing to versions 2 and 3 which I have.
Thanks for noting! Peace.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by roland1 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 am
Lokefly, I was more addressing a kind of general reflexive defensive behavior that occurs whenever a "problem issue" is posted.

I'm sure you'll agree that even as young children our immediate impulse is to not take the blame for wrong-doing because we know there will be negative consequences for admitting our guilt. That part of us never seems to change.

It might be okay for the political leaders of our countries to act this way in destroying our world, but I want my favorite software company to function at a more enlightened level.

I have been faithfully buying/upgrading S1 since v1 Professional. So it's not like I'm just shouting down Studio One or its developers as some kind of adolescent sports chant against a rival team.

I truly give a sh** where all of this is heading. I say let's admit to the problems, including the lack of sufficient testing before a release. After that, threads like this would all but disappear.

by Lokeyfly on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 pm
Hey snb1, Helpful video!
I experienced the same behavior in 4.1

I checked version 2.6.0.2 and version 3.5.0
Same occurence on those versions as your sample.

Note, this isnt a bug, but a typical convention with Studio One. When you mute your track first as you did, the master or global Mute indicator will illuminate signifying a global Mute condition. You then selected solo on the same track. Global mute still remains lit. even if you select global solo, or deselect global solo. The global Mute indicator shows that there is a contntuinally selected track mute condition that is overriding any solo. So while your track or channel solo indicator is lit (illuminated), you won't hear the solo selection there. Just pointing out, that has been the convention for quite some time. Hope this helps.

You'll likely want to not mute first, but solo only, for repeat solos of that track my friend.

If you prefer some other means of reverting back to a track solo, I guess you'll want to request that. For now, avoid trying to repeat solo via global deselect, where you muted the track, first.

Added info: Funny, I sort of work in an opposite approach where I deselect multiple mutes globally. You could give that a try. Just something I got used to is all. Be well. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 pm
Lokeyfly wroteHey snb1, Helpful video!
I experienced the same behavior in 4.1

I checked version 2.6.0.2 and version 3.5.0
Same occurence on those versions as your sample.

Note, this isnt a bug, but a typical convention with Studio One. When you mute your track first as you did, the master or global Mute indicator will illuminate signifying a global Mute condition. You then selected solo on the same track. Global mute still remains lit. even if you select global solo, or deselect global solo. The global Mute indicator shows that there is a contntuinally selected track mute condition that is overriding any solo. So while your track or channel solo indicator is lit (illuminated), you won't hear the solo selection there. Just pointing out, that has been the convention for quite some time. Hope this helps.

You'll likely want to not mute first, but solo only, for repeat solos of that track my friend.

If you prefer some other means of reverting back to a track solo, I guess you'll want to request that. For now, avoid trying to repeat solo via global deselect, where you muted the track, first.

Added info: Funny, I sort of work in an opposite approach where I deselect multiple mutes globally. You could give that a try. Just something I got used to is all. Be well. ;)

Thank for the check Lokeyfly. But hey check out the gif. What do you know, all of a sudden it's working now. I don't know for how long or what made it work but I'm taking the same exact steps as before and now you'll be able to see by track's indicator that sound is coming through.

Edit: I just realized the example in this gif is being demonstrated using a midi track and not an audio track like I used before. Are there any explanation on why it would work with midi tracks and not audio tracks?

Attachments
Jan-19-2019 13-19-51.gif

SkipNo Beet
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:24 pm
Cool. Halfway there. From your 1st video, I made sure I was dealing with an audio track. I had other MIDI and audio tracks playing along side, but I was too busy honing in on muting and soloing audio only.

When we check back later, it may be a good idea to pull up JPettit's Studio One Flow signal chart. It's nicely done, and we can possibly see why theres a diffwrence with MIDI only. I hope he made a new flow chart for S1v4, but either way, we'll pull up the latest.
Talk then.

Here's a version 3 for refetence just for now. I sent him a text if there's a newer one.

Unfortunately, where track signals are shown, there is no switchng signals for solo, and Mute, or global switching.
I thought another version showed that. Otherwise I'm getting flashbacks of the hours I spent deciphering my older mix consoles.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

35 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2