4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I mostly understand how pressing the "DAW" mode button pretty much hands all control of the mixer over to the Computer side, but one part I'm still stumped on is "Muting" a microphone input.

For example, when I'm in DAW mode, and I press the "Mute" button on my Microphone, it doesn't actually mute the mic on the mixer (same goes if i Click the Mute Button on that corresponding track in Studio one). I'm guessing there might be a setting on the mixer for this? but i'm stumped. I'm very new to this mixer and hope to learn it quicker than I am now. haha.

Windows 11, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 32GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii
Studio One 4 Professional
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:22 pm
DAW mode is a very, very complex subject and you need a lot of time to get into it. A good help is the "StudioLive_Series_III_Studio_One_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_V2_07062018", which you find in the dowload area of your mixer. This document is focused on traditional studio work; the system offers more options.

Basically your mixer/console is an interface for Studio One. When you want to mute your microphone, you do it on the mixer, not in Studio One. In DAW mode the Mutes on the mixer become Mutes for the tracks in Studio One, while the microphone still delivers a signal. It might help to see it this way: Your mixer handles all physical connections like microphones and DI's and you can also create headphone mixes (you don't need the Cue feature). When DAW mode is active, the faders and encoders temporarily control functions of Studio One. De-activating the DAW button brings the physical mixer back, which is running "underneath" all the time.

Hope this helps a little bit. ;-)
by randrums on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 pm
That is very helpful, thank you. I'm just wondering for use in a practical work flow. Would it be practical to constantly go back and forth between having DAW mode on and Off?

Windows 11, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 32GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii
Studio One 4 Professional
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:22 pm
You get used to it easily - but it depends from where you're coming from. This is what I meant with "traditional studio work", where you make cue mixes. You can also create InEar mixes just via the console and totally independent from a DAW. The PreSonus consoles are called "StudioLive", which describes their dual functions to the point. DAW fans always think that there is too much "live" in the consoles. They want a REAL controller for their DAW and absolutely nothing else.

Switching the modes takes less than a second, but if you don't know "where" you are then, you will always get lost. You need to discover BOTH worlds and get familiar with them. Then DAW mode becomes like another "layer" added to the console. Lately somebody used the term hybrid to describe the two worlds your mixer can serve. I think it's a perfect term - at least it's more clear than "StudioLive".

4 posts
Page 1 of 1