18 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I'm using Studio one 3.5.6 and I'm getting CPU spikes and crackles. I've looked through some threads and videos and did the things that were said there: I set dropout protection to maximum and I increased the buffer size to my max (1024). My Audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. That helped decreasing the crackling but there are still occasional spikes.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
RAM: 16GB

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

If you need more info, let me know.
by dcumpian on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 am
While dropout protection (DP) helps a lot with virtual instruments, if you are mixing audio only (with FX) you should take care that the DP doesn't silent;y bypass a plugin that has high latency.

Back to your question. Double-click on the CPU meter in SO to determine which plugin is causing the spike. If it is a multi-timbral plugin like Omnisphere or Kontakt, try adding another instance of the instrument and move a channel to the second instance. If it is a single channel plugin, then your options are more limited:

* Disable internal FX in the plugin
    * Lower the polyphony count
    * Bounce to audio

Dan
by niles on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am
noahhonegger1 wroteI've looked through some threads and videos and did the things that were said there: I set dropout protection to maximum and I increased the buffer size to my max (1024)
First of all I would set dropout protection to Minimum and start from there. Then run a DPC Latency Check and if that all works out, tell us what's in your project.

dcumpian wroteWhile dropout protection (DP) helps a lot with virtual instruments,
I don't share that observation. Dropout protection introduces a lot of issues with instruments. From wonky automation to timing issues with internally synced devices to unexpected bounces. My advice is to stay far, far away from it when working with virtual instruments etc. etc.

Edit: Correct URL
Last edited by niles on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 pm
Standard maintenance..

Sometimes it's good to remove Focusrite drivers, reboot and reinstall the drivers (pref the latest).

If you are running ASIO4ALL fully remove.

Update your display adapter software. Afterwards disable any HDMI audio devices in device manager.

Further issues download and use latencymon (Google for usage instructions). Don't use latencymon and studio one together.

If no issues with latencymon then you are looking at studio one. If issues with latencymon then you need to do some other stuff (check dpc in the drivers tab).

Keeping it simple for now.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 pm
Focusrite has one driver for everything and it is called Focusrite Control. Ensure you are on the latest one for Windows. 2.1.4 I believe.

I don't see any issue running LatencyMon and Studio One together. Although LatencyMon should be run on its own with no other programs running I believe. Mine gives a consistent result as being under 100 uS for all 4 of those types of interrupt faults that can cause dropouts. Running LatencyMon with Studio One simply increases the timing values a little while the program is running and executing things. But as soon as you stop it the the Latency Mon readings go back to normal for me. Remember to start and stop LatencyMon.

What is interesting is if there are some high interrupt times then by expanding out the page fully to the right too will see where the large timing errors and coming from.

The interface has everything to do with dropouts. My main Win 7 machine has an RME interface in the PCI buss and I am getting under 4ms roundtrip. This is important. I don't use any form of DP either. Prefer to stay well away from it. I can set s 32 sample buffer size with the RME and still have large sessions play without dropouts. Higher buffers can be set for mixing of course. Small buffers for fast virtual instrument response times.

Best performance yet for me comes with the Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre over thunderbolt on my iMac. I am getting under 2mS round trip here and this is fast. Especially for playing virtual instruments live. Still best done with no DP used either. I can set a 16 sample buffer here. Large sessions also play with no dropouts. Higher buffers for mixing also apply here.

Investing in the interface results in professional performance quicker. I would be looking at Quantum over thunderbolt on the iMac now. It has got everything going for it and runs super fast with Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:18 pm
PreAl wroteDon't use latencymon and studio one together.

Jemusic wroteI don't see any issue running LatencyMon and Studio One together. Although LatencyMon should be run on its own with no other programs running I believe.

You are entirely correct but with respect that was a completely pointless statement to make, I never said running studio one and latencymon would cause issues. Please stop trying to find fault when there is none, there is nothing incorrect with what I said. You don't run latencymon and studio one together, simple as that. I already recommended the OP Googles for instructions.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Sorry but sort of feels like because if you do....something might happen. Yours was a pointless statement to make because nothing needs to be said about running things together that don't cause any issues. It is better to point out combinations of things that actually cause trouble.

Yes it is best to have the least amount of applications running in any form i.e. a lean system and then run LatencyMon. I don't go on line either (studio audio machine) so all apps that are involved with the internet don't have to run on my system. It is amazing what you can actually stop booting up in fact. Once you do all this you are a step closer to a dropout free running system.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Jemusic wroteSorry but sort of feels like because if you do....something might happen. Yours was a pointless statement to make because running them together causes no issues at all so nothing needs to be said about running things together that don't cause any issues. It is better to point out combinations of things that actually cause trouble.

1) I did not say WHY you should not run studio one and latencymon together. Why should I? I was keeping it simple and told the OP to Google documentation. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing incorrect about my statement whatsoever. Somehow you find fault.

2) It is entirely pointless running studio one latencymon together. It simply won't give the results required. There is absolutely no reason why you should do so whatsoever. All I said DO NOT run latencymon and studio one together. Why are you even entertaining this scenario of running both together? I wasn't.

"Sorry but sort of feels like [i]because if you do....something might happen."

Just wow. I did not say anything would happen. This is a scenario you've just conjured up out of nowhere.

Please stop trying to find fault when there is none. I simply said do not run studio one and latencymon together, and that's exactly right.
Last edited by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jemusic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:49 pm
Pointless discussion now so no more needs to be said on this other than run LatencyMon and check for any higher than normal interrupt times. See where they are happening if there any. Running Studio One and LatencyMon at the same time will only give a slightly incorrect reading.

Back to topic. Maybe he needs to address his interface to be able to move closer to dropout free performance which can be realised. Also avoiding DP seems to give a better result.

Another good thing to do is pull up the list of devices showing how your CPU resources are being distributed. Often there may one significant thing in there that could be rendered.

Another good app is CoreTemp which shows you how hot your CPU cores are. Good to know on a hot day BTW. It also shows CPU distribution well. There are things you can do in Studio One to distribute things a little more evenly over multicores such as using more tracks and buses to distribute how plugins are used for example. I can get pretty even distribution with care.

Check plugins that may be pushing the system hard as well. Try global bypass for all plugins and then bring them back one by one etc. You may narrow it down.

by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:01 pm
Jemusic wroteI don't see any issue running LatencyMon and Studio One together"

I do. Because it's entirely pointless to do so. Nobody said it would cause issues at all whatsoever. Purely conjecture you've made up.

Anyway here is another thread that is all yours once again, any fun or satisfaction in trying to help people has once again left me. This time you just simply invented a scenario and once again just took over my advice. Thanks a lot... Bye.

by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 pm
BTW If it's of any help I won't be trying to help people diagnose their problems here in future. I am just totally fed up with it, it's all yours.

I'll just come here if I have any issues of my own. It's all yours just as you want it to be.

by jggiano on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm
I hope you'll reconsider, PreAl.
I've always enjoyed and appreciated the time you take to respond and try to help out.

Not everyone will agree with us all the time.
Hang in there. We can't afford to lose another "good guy"!

Jim

Windows 10
StudioOne 4 Pro
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Korg Krome 61
Ensoniq MR61
Korg MicroStation
Akai MPK mini
by Jemusic on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:59 pm
This is a peer to peer community based forum so we are all helping each other. All help is welcome and should be encouraged. Help is accumulative. It all adds up. Its good to have multiple solution options to a problem. Sometimes the answers are the things we never think of, but someone else might. It is not a competition. It's great that everyone's workflow is different. It brings out the best and sometimes the worst aspects of a program.

People have to just co-exist. Learn to get on well and show respect. It is the best and only way to create positive energy on a forum. Everyone's experiences here contribute to our overall knowledge. You don't own knowledge, you cannot copyright it either. You can only gain it and share it. No one can really own or take over a thread either, we are all just contributing to them. Ideas are always way more interesting to talk about than people. Everything I am doing now is much better because of this and other forums.

We are all connected now more than ever before. Because of this though sometimes mis-communication and meanings can get mixed up, and often unintended. More clarity is needed in our virtual world. Lets take advantage of it and use it wisely in a positive way.

by PreAl on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm
jggiano wroteI hope you'll reconsider, PreAl.
I've always enjoyed and appreciated the time you take to respond and try to help out.

Not everyone will agree with us all the time.
Hang in there. We can't afford to lose another "good guy"!

Jim

Sorry I am just very angry. I will cool down.

I told the OP not to run latencymon and studio one, I kept it simple, I said I was keeping it simple. What could be easier than this... But oh no..

We have a mod here coming telling me that that because I was saying that you should not run both together THEN I was somehow IMPLYING something "might happen" if you do (when nothing was said of the sort!), and then decides to try and correct this thing he has invented, as though I had actually written it myself. He then effectively states what I've already said, that is don't run them both together in the exactly the same paragraph. For me this is just pointless point scoring for absolutely no reason whatsoever, and none of this actually helped anybody either.. and then when I point this out he then says this discussion is pointless. Well of course it is!! Argh!

And now he's completely taken over everything that I said and added complexity and ambiguity on top of it. He's done things like this in other threads several times now and I've had enough. Last time he took over saying I was giving out too much information, and here I've kept it really simple and here he is discussing theorical scenarios to death that don't even exist yet.

I'll probably now be told that I am "personally attacking" him and get a PM telling me off or banning me from the forums. Fine. Sorry then in advance for telling it how it is. I really don't want to personally attack anybody whatsoever, I just want to get along and collaborate and NOT have people INVENT scenenarios out of the blue to poke me with.

So great. Fine. I apologise anyway to all forum uses who had to read my vent. I'm sorry to everybody. So done. Thx

by jggiano on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:40 pm
It's good to have you back!

Windows 10
StudioOne 4 Pro
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Korg Krome 61
Ensoniq MR61
Korg MicroStation
Akai MPK mini
by Marakor on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for answering my question! I didn't expect such a quick response.

dcumpian wroteWhile dropout protection (DP) helps a lot with virtual instruments, if you are mixing audio only (with FX) you should take care that the DP doesn't silent;y bypass a plugin that has high latency.

Back to your question. Double-click on the CPU meter in SO to determine which plugin is causing the spike.

niles wroteFirst of all I would set dropout protection to Minimum and start from there. Then run a DPC Latency Check and if that all works out, tell us what's in your project.

Dropout protection introduces a lot of issues with instruments. From wonky automation to timing issues with internally synced devices to unexpected bounces. My advice is to stay far, far away from it when working with virtual instruments etc. etc.

I set Dropout protection to minimum and the spikes seemed to calm down... That's quite strange since I only turned up the dropout protection after I began getting some spikes. It's a situation thing I guess – well anyways, I'm glad it seems to work better now. If the spikes increase again, I'll gladly try more of the things you suggested!

And I'll keep in mind that this is a great forum if you're looking for a quick solution to your problem!
by leosutherland on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 pm
PreAl wroteBTW If it's of any help I won't be trying to help people diagnose their problems here in future. I am just totally fed up with it, it's all yours.

I'll just come here if I have any issues of my own. It's all yours just as you want it to be.

Mate, don't go - every point of view is valuable. I mean, I may not agree with everything that your good self and others say (mostly, I do :)) but hey, what ever is said, maybe it gives me to think a bit.

Sorry I don't contribute more, but you guys know far more about S1 and DAWs in general than I do (ATM :mrgreen: )

Keep up good work and all, don't quit in the heat of the moment :D

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by dcumpian on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 am
niles wrote[
dcumpian wroteWhile dropout protection (DP) helps a lot with virtual instruments,
I don't share that observation. Dropout protection introduces a lot of issues with instruments. From wonky automation to timing issues with internally synced devices to unexpected bounces. My advice is to stay far, far away from it when working with virtual instruments etc. etc.

Edit: Correct URL

I've not run into any of those issues. I usually use "Medium" DP while tracking, then bounce instruments as audio prior to mixing. At that point, I switch back to "Minimum" DP.

Dan

18 posts
Page 1 of 1