StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
So I just bought a 16.4.2 on Ebay. Hooked it up to universal controller, updated firmware, and installed studio one. Board was working fine, no problems. Powered it down, came home several hours later to continue my studio one session. No audio from any out puts. CR, Headphones, Mains, aux, are all dead silent as if there is a mute on them. Signal from studio one is showing up on the board as input, but no sound. Unhooked the board from the computer and just ran signal through it, nothing on any channel. Not registering input and again all output channels are dead silent without so much as a hiss. Tried factory reset, nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
by meangene31 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:07 pm
I had an issue once where I didn't remove the board from Firewire mode recording the night before when I powered down the mixer, then disconnected the Firewire cable, never toggled it out of Firewire mode. Went to do a gig without the laptop and the mixer was stuck in Firewire mode with its Firewire LED lit dimly. The board would not reset until it was hooked back up and taken out of Firewire mode with the lap top connected.

I wonder if that's what your dealing with, cause the board wouldn't do nothing. Its been a few years so cant remember all the details and it was with a 16.0.2 mixer.

Mean Gene

PreSonus RM32Ai, QSC K12's, Ksubs, KW112's
Fractal Axe FX II XL, Atomic CLR Neo cabs
Two Rock Sensor, Aracom Evolver
Baker B1, b3 SL, Ibanez TM10
Roland TD9
PreSonus Fader Port, iTwo Audio Box, Studio One 2 PRO
MacbookPro, Lenovo 20 control
by sjc193 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 pm
Try flipping the FireWire Id in the system menu of the mixer from 0 to 1, wait a second, then flip it back to 0 and wait a second, see if that get you going again.

If you left the computer on and shut off the board then came back and turned the board back on, it probably won't sync up with the firewire to computer, so flipping the firewire Id will force it too sync up without rebooting the computer

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by jasonroberts on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm
It appears to be syncing with the computer. Just no audio is coming out of any of the outputs. I was unaware of any power down protocol for this. Tired Steve's suggestion, no dice. Par for the course with this mixer though lots of quirky issues that are not well documented but can derail everything.
by sjc193 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:27 am
There is a boot up/boot down protocol for these things

boot up protocol
1. everything off
2. plug in the firewire to both the computer and the StudioLive (never hot plug/unplug the firewire cable!)
3. boot up the StudioLive, let fully boot
4. boot up the computer, let fully boot
5. make some music

boot down in opposite order

the reason it has to be done this way is because while the computer is booting up it runs some code that sincs up the firewire with the studiolive

usually flipping the firewireID does the trick, funny it didn't work for you, I'd be making sure the version of UC and SL firmware are the same at this point. And get them updated to the latest 7.2

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by sjc193 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:33 am
OH, and does the mixer output audio when in standalone mode, with no computer attached?

If not then it's not a good sign, would need to try a factory reset I think if that's the case.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by salvadoredelle on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:35 am
make sure your FW is not enabled on each track... set it to scene 1 as that is a -0- if that does not work do a factory reset procedure.

did you plug/unplug FW with power on PC and board? sometimes that causes this type of problem. You may have to get it serviced. Always power down both PC and Board when plugging FW cables in.

I have 4 studio live console and never have had an issue with any of them.

Of course since you bought it used and from an unauthorized seller on eBay you have no warranty but may have gotten it real cheap. The original owner may have sold you a defective unit. Can you return it? I sell stuff on eBay and always inform customers of any known issues and sell it accordingly. I have taken items back before but rarely as I always am very truthful. Your seller reputation is very important so most good sellers have some type of return policy for items that are not a described.

Of course you may not know all there is to know about setting up and operating the board yet... operator error can cause confusion and dysfunction and even harm a perfectly good device. You may have fried it inadvertently and now need to service it. It's good practice to have your system on a UPS and power line conditioner both the PC and the board.

Things fry! I was sitting at my desk and have my system on a UPS and conditioner.. all of a sudden i hear a pfffffft! and smoke comes out of my older Firestudio tube interface! Yikes! $#!t happens! I had to send it in for service. Presonus has a great service dept and are real nice people to deal with even on non warranty service.

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by jasonroberts on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:33 pm
Thanks Steve, unfortunately I cant get any audio output still. I can see that it reaching the main bus as the meters are going when I play back, but no sound out of any of the outputs. Unit did not come with a manual, much to my detriment it would seam. However I watched all of presonus's set up videos and none of them mention any of these boot up protocols or the danger of unplugging the fire wire while the machine was on. In fact this problem seams like it aught to be the first thing they tell you, not have to spend a day and a half on a forum, lol. Also for a device they advertise as cutting edge in portable live audio and recording, it seams woefully fragile and tragically subject to operator error or tiny issues that have catastrophic effects on its use. It would appear that I own a thousand dollar paper weight. I still can not get input or output when its not connected to firewire, while I did try all the options the folks here were kind enough to share. For that I am very grateful! Thank you, you really helped me narrow down the problem. Too bad I can not get my money back from the ebay seller.
by salvadoredelle on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 pm
Did you moved all the faders up and down to catch the null points?
You disconnected everything... hooked a mic and can you see input to the channel? and output to the subs & Aux & mains meters?
can you solo a mic on a channel and hear it in headphones and see it on the solo/selected channel meter?
sometimes the gates get squanked all the way on???
turn all FW inputs off?
set it to scene 1?
does anything come out the sub groups or AUX outputs?
Can you connect to a PC and get on line and update to latest 1642 rev? sometimes it needs to be done a time or 2 to take!
Do a complete re installation of VSL and UC on your puter?
Set FW ID # to another and then Back again?

you are probably not a total newbei to audio and these boards are really not complicated at all so if you go thru all the resets and such and still get no audio something may have just gotten fried or ??? email customer service and get an appointment for a phone tech and/or RA# so you can send it in for service. These are really nice boards so it's worth it to get it going again.

Manuals are all on line for almost any product these days:
http://www.presonus.com/uploads/product ... al_EN3.pdf

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by jasonroberts on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:11 pm
I have done a factory reset, updated to latest firmware and UC. Uninstalled UC and Reinstalled. At the very least it should work off line after the reset. No audio is coming into the board from analog inputs either. I use this board at the venue I work at for mixing small bands, so I'm somewhat familiar with the offline use of it. However I did not know about the system settings to toggle off the fire wire. All outputs are dead silent as if muted. Including the aux sends, phones, and CR monitors. I fear the worst at this point.
Really all I did was power it down while connected to the computer without powering down the computer. I believe later in my troubleshooting I may have unplugged the firewire while powered on, but whatever damage was done well before that point. Powering off the unit while connected to the comp shouldn't fire my inputs and outputs should it? Not familiar with the circuitry of digital boards.
by sjc193 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:51 pm
Hmmmm, well if you are seeing the meters moving up and down with an audio source, I'd take that as a good sign. Were you able to register the mixer under your name here under MyPresonus? If not you need to get the Previous owner to unregister it, then you can register it and get real tech support. I know it costs $175 to have a 16.4.2 repaired if you live in the US and it really is fried, but I'd be really surprized if all the meters are working but non of the outputs including AUXes, headphones, subgroups are not working, usually people talk about losing just the MAINs analog out or one of the AUX outs but not everything at the same time unless the board is actually frozen with the gain reduction meter stuck full. Keep workin' working bro, good luck!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by meangene31 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:27 pm
Not sure if you got this handled yet, but the PreSonus tech supports helped me extremely fast when I called in direct with my gear by my side. I was able to address some questions fast that would have taken multiple days and many post exchanges to finally uncover everything we solved in under 5 minutes talking to the man himself.

Its worth the phone call to get you back to rocking plus far less frustrating to just call in, you may be back up in moments or they will be telling you to send in it for possible repair. I think I had to sit on hold for 5 or ten minutes but was very happy come end of the chat.

Mean Gene

PreSonus RM32Ai, QSC K12's, Ksubs, KW112's
Fractal Axe FX II XL, Atomic CLR Neo cabs
Two Rock Sensor, Aracom Evolver
Baker B1, b3 SL, Ibanez TM10
Roland TD9
PreSonus Fader Port, iTwo Audio Box, Studio One 2 PRO
MacbookPro, Lenovo 20 control
by idle77 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:58 am
What about the level controls on the back where you plug in xlr' for the main outs?
by SwitchBack on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 am
For the brave at heart (and out of warranty): I vaguely remember someone mentioning a usb connection on one of the internal circuit boards, and that merely connecting a computer to that port would revive some mixers that otherwise refused to respond.

So perhaps do a search of the old forum (I believe it was there that I read about this) or the internet. It may save you some time and money.
by jasonroberts on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am
Still not fixed, sigh. I have tried calling a few times. Half hour wait only be told I have reached the wait limit and have to call back or email. I emailed, no response. Problem is I got it on ebay and if I don't get it resolved I'm going to have to fight the seller on the return as they claim it worked fine. I had it working for about an hour, powered down and then this. Can't imagine that powering down while the computer was on would destroy the board. So still taking suggestions, lol!
by Smoothbassman on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:39 pm
I had a similar situation with my board last year. What it ended up being was a bad firewire cable. I replaced the cable with another one, and didn't have that issue come back. I also stopped daisy chaining my HD off the back of the board as well. Only thing on my FW bus was the mixer. Ran everything else on USB 2-3.

You also have to remember to make sure you have everything plugged in before turning anything on. Firewire 400 is not hot swappable like USB.

After two years with my 16.4.2 I finally let it go and got the Behringer X32. Love it and haven't looked back.
by jlpadiolleau on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:21 pm
Hi,
I also have a problem with 16.4.2. No sound but the settings are functional.
So I open the mixer with care (so many screws!). I saw some connectors which are not correctly down (behind the DSP card).
I blow the PCB too.
Then, I reassemble all and the mixer works fine !
I hope it will works a long time. Did some one have the same problem ?
Thanks.

Jean-Luc PADIOLLEAU, a french user

PS: be careful with the LCD cable
by pieterfranken on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 am
How did you take the mixer apart? (have the same problem)
by wahlerstudios on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 am
by joemontes on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:37 am
I am having the same issue with my Firestudio Lightpipe. I got it from my former audio engineer. It had only been used a few times then set aside for years. I get audio out of the headphones and the Lightpipe mixer show headphone levels but nothing on the main. No sound out of the monitor outs during playback but you get a slight pop when shutting it off so the circuitry works fine. Help. I have some live recordings to do.

33 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2