41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
I recently upgraded from Artist V2 to Pro, primarily to get VST support for external drum kits, but a strong second wish was to finally get a decent sounding rock drum kit out of the box in the plethora of new soundsets Pro provides (so I wouldn't need the plugins... ;^). However, in the nearly 40 gigs of download, I've found exactly one kit that's not techno-babble or sounds like someone beating on garbage can lids... that's Presence Percussive Kit 2. Same one I was using in Artist; zip for Impact. Pretty disappointed. I've plugged in MT Power Drums ... better than anything I found in the 40 gigs; these guys get a donation!
So I'm hoping I've missed something. What do folks use for a good out-of-the-box classic 70s rock kit? I guess I could build my own in Impact if need be, but I don't like diddling with drums; I'm not a drummer and I shouldn't have to do that; rock's a fairly well-known genre ;^)
BTW - I think Cubase LE AI has a great default rock drum kit. I may move my midi over there, record audio and bring it back.

S1 V5.5.2 Pro
Interface: PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL
Melodyne Assistant V5.1.1
HP Spectre X-360 15" i7-7500U 16Gb 512Gb SSD
Windows 10 Home
by darrenporter1 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:17 pm
I do all of my drum programming using Addictive Drums 2. Love it. Their Fairfax kits are amazing.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Tacman7 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm
I've been using SD3 for some time, does everything I need without putting in too much effort.

Pretty interesting reading about how it was made etc.

https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-3/

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by sirmonkey on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Everything mentioned previously....plus there's a great kit by Senheiser called DrumMic'A, which works with the free version of Kontakt. I think you'll love it.
Download here: http://sennheiser.us/drummica.html
Demo video:
phpBB [video]

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by gclaborn on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 am
Thanks much, guys... really appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into all of these. You seem to be confirming my findings; essentially nothing OOTB for rock.

S1 V5.5.2 Pro
Windows 10 Home
by tomscheutzlich on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:21 am
Have you tried the "Tom Brechtlein Drums" preset from the free "Impact XT Kits and Sounds"?

Tom Scheutzlich
QA Manager, PreSonus Software Ltd, Hamburg, Germany
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook Air (M2, 2022), Lenovo ThinkPad E15 G4 Ryzen 7 dual boot Win 11 + Ubuntu Studio 23.10 / Mac mini (M1, 2020) / Samsung U32J59x 31,5" 4K (3840 × 2160) / macOS 14 Beta Path / PreSonus ioStation24c / Korg MS-20 + SQ-1 / moog Opus 3 / Arturia Minibrute / misc plugs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
some audible fun stuff: https://soundcloud.com/317wurst/tracks
by Lawrence on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 am
by darrenporter1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am
gclaborn wroteThanks much, guys... really appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into all of these. You seem to be confirming my findings; essentially nothing OOTB for rock.

Maybe we're not understanding what you want... I do rock, blues, hard rock, funk... all of the above listed will do that and more VERY well.

by leosutherland on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am
While we are on the subject, Just a quick question in the same vein, if I may - is there any drum kit that would be suitable for Tangerine Dream style percussion?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by darrenporter1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Tangerine Dream is kinda all over the place. A lot of their "drum" sound is synth-based percussive stuff layered over a more "traditional" drum sound. You are bound to find something you like here in the available kit packs for more traditional drum stuff....
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... ms_2/adpak

The drum-shaping tools available in AD2 can make any kit sound wildly different than what it would sound like "dry" with tuning, compression, transient shaping, full ADSR control, EQ, reverb, delay, groove/quantizing, different types of saturation.... it's all there.

I also use their midi packs extensively as well as Groove Monkee midi packs. Great stuff!

I'm sure any other software (SSD, SD3, etc) has similar offerings.

For the percussive synth sounds, AAS has a lot of high-quality preset packs with that kind of stuff.

by j0001s on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm
For the Impact included kits, the TM kits as well as the Tom Brechtien Drums seem to be your choices for real drums. They're not particularly processed, and would require some compression, EQ and the like to get you to where I think you want to go. But the basic drums are pretty good.

If you want something ready to use as is, the free Steven Slate 5 kit that Lawrence recommended is a great option.
by gclaborn on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 am
Yes, I had tried all the TM and Brechtien kits prior to posting and was totally underwhelmed out of the box. I don't think anyone would use those kits as-is with the likes of Toto, Boston, Aerosmith, AC/DC, .38 Special etc. Yes, with a lot of fiddling and diddling maybe they could be made acceptable (which again, I'm not willing to do), but to my ear Presence Percussive 2 is the best OOTB rock kit, which unfortunately isn't saying much. I completely understand it's all a matter of taste.
Lawrence / J0001, thanks for the Steven Slate suggestion... they sound *great*!!

S1 V5.5.2 Pro
Windows 10 Home
by JohnBW on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:10 am
XLN Audio Addictive Drums. I don't know if it's the "best" overall, but it sure is the bang for the buck after the free stuff.

Check out the "Custom" deal, which lists for $169.95 at XLN, and lets you choose any 3 kits (drum sounds), 3 MIDIpaks (patterns), and 3 additional kit pieces to build your own custom drum setup. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... s_2_custom

This sells for $83.16 in the cart at JRR Shop with discount code "group". https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-addic ... s-2-custom

I'm not a drummer, but there is not much I couldn't imagine doing now that I have a couple of these. Love them!

I also have MT Power Drums and the Sennheiser DrumMic'A, but I rarely touch them. They do sound good, but I think XLN is much more advanced. I would listen to the XLN demos.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by Tacman7 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 am
I guess this thread was about what drums come with Studio One. I thought out of the box was when you buy a box of drum software and this is what it can do, right out of the box.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by gclaborn on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 am
That's right, Tacman. I was hoping I had missed a really good rock drum kit right out of the Studio One Pro "box", but I don't think I did. So, these suggestions for external drums have been very helpful.

S1 V5.5.2 Pro
Windows 10 Home
by darrenporter1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am
OK cool. I was a little confused because when we say "OOTB" in these circles we are referring to physical recording hardware (mixer, rack effects/preamps/etc) and anything "ITB" is software based. For example, there are still a lot of folks who record in their DAW but do all of their mixing "OOTB" on outboard analog gear. Then there are those who are "ITB" mixers and there are the folks who fall somewhere in-between.

So when you said you want an OOTB drum solution I wasn't sure if you wanted like an old-school drum machine or something to work with an Atom or similar controller. I suggested Addictive Drums only because it is way more flexible than a drum machine, easier to work with and the large variety of sounds makes it sound absolutely amazing for just about any genre you can think of.

by darrenporter1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 am
JohnBW wroteXLN Audio Addictive Drums. I don't know if it's the "best" overall, but it sure is the bang for the buck after the free stuff.

Check out the "Custom" deal, which lists for $169.95 at XLN, and lets you choose any 3 kits (drum sounds), 3 MIDIpaks (patterns), and 3 additional kit pieces to build your own custom drum setup. https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addic ... s_2_custom

This sells for $83.16 in the cart at JRR Shop with discount code "group". https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-addic ... s-2-custom

I'm not a drummer, but there is not much I couldn't imagine doing now that I have a couple of these. Love them!

I also have MT Power Drums and the Sennheiser DrumMic'A, but I rarely touch them. They do sound good, but I think XLN is much more advanced. I would listen to the XLN demos.

Haha based on your avatar I can see you got hooked on AD2 because of SONAR too. I originally bought the mid-level package of it and it came with the AD2 bundle. About the only thing that I am happy about with my upgrade to the full-on version was the pleasant surprise when the upgrade fee also included the larger AD2 bundle, so I got both bundles and was able to choose more AD packs, midi libraries and kit pieces. I also use their Addictive Trigger program for drum replacement and their Retro Color plugin. All great stuff.

by gclaborn on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 pm
Hey Darren, HA! I see the confusion. "OOTB" in my world (software) always refers to functionality in the software box with no tweaking. John/Darren, I actually have full-blown Sonar X2 Producer on another computer... forgot about AD2 being there! May take my midi over there... but S1 is home now; sooo much easier / more intuitive work flow than Sonar, IMO.

S1 V5.5.2 Pro
Windows 10 Home
by JohnBW on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm
gclaborn wroteJohn/Darren, I actually have full-blown Sonar X2 Producer on another computer... forgot about AD2 being there! May take my midi over there... but S1 is home now; sooo much easier / more intuitive work flow than Sonar, IMO.

Good news! AD2 is not locked to Sonar. You would have had to create an account with XLN Audio to register and install the complimentary product key provided by Cakewalk.

Suggest locating your account there, and then downloading the XLN Online Installer. The plug-in will be usable in Studio One. The XLN activation system should allow two computers at the same time. https://www.xlnaudio.com/install

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by darrenporter1 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 pm
yup my AD2 stuff is all originally from my SONAR license as well.

yeah definitely try that out... you may already own the solution.

41 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3