15 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just got Superior Drummer 3 and I am still kind of new to Studio One, coming from SONAR...

How do I program a cymbal choke? I have scoured the internet and YouTube looking for this answer and cannot find it.

All I could find were references to choking a cymbal with V-Drums. I need to hand draw it in to Studio One's Drum Editor.

I am looking for this: A crash cymbal is struck. Then right after that, a real drummer could grab the cymbal, "chocking" or stopping the decay sound of the cymbal.
How is this accomplished using Studio One Drum Editor with Superior Drummer 3?

Previously using SONAR with Addictive Drums, there was a MIDI note I could draw in that would "choke" the cymbal.

With Studio One and Superior Drummer 3, I have drawn in a note, then dragged it around to every available spot looking for a choke, but could find none.

For that matter, are there any drum maps for Superior Drummer 3 that work inside of Studio One. I noticed that the names of drums do not always match up with the sound that I hear.

Any help would be appreciated.

I normally record live acoustic drums so I admit to not having the drum programming thing down very well.
Thank you...

Studio One 5 Professional
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by j0001s on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm
Each cymbal has multiple articulations. Say you're using Cymbal 1. Where the crash occurs, use the normal crash, i.e. Cymbal 1: Crash. Where you want to choke it, use Cymbal 1 Mute Hit.

I grabbed a drum map from here: https://www.toontrack.com/forums/topic/superior-drummer-3-drum-maps-pitch-list-for-studio-one-4/
by cpowell on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 pm
Thank you for responding.

I downloaded that .pitchlist. How do I get it to show up in Studio One? I found where the gm.pitchlist file was and copied the new one there, but it doesn't show up. Is there a way to install it?

I searched the forum, looked at YouTube, and did a general search engine search, but can't find anything. I searched in the Refernce manual and as usual nothing can be found there. This is maddening.

Any help is appreciated. I am coming over from SONAR so please treat me as a complete novice in Studio One. I don't have the luxery of knowing the inner workings or the lingo of Studio One.

I don't know what it means when you say use a different articulation. I was hoping that if I was able to load the correct pitchlist that it would become obvious at the point, but I can't get the pitchlist to show up.

Maybe I should try using Superior Drummer In SONAR and see if it makes sense there. But I am hoping to get things all in Studio One....

RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by Steve Carter on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 pm
In Superior Drummer 3, open the 'grid edit' and on the left hand side you will see the various drums/cymbals listed.

If you click on a cymbal (small arrow icon or something similar - not at my computer), a drop down list will open showing the various 'articulations' available for it. If a choke is listed you can insert a note against that articulation.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by WaterlooSunset on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:20 am
You can put them here (or similar to your computer) if that is what you asking. Make sure to do a refresh in the browser section. In the editor click on the drum then you can select them

E:\Studio One\Songs V4\Presets\PitchNames

They sometimes dont show up without a right click/refresh.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by cpowell on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 am
WaterlooSunset wroteYou can put them here (or similar to your computer) if that is what you asking. Make sure to do a refresh in the browser section. In the editor click on the drum then you can select them

E:\Studio One\Songs V4\Presets\PitchNames

They sometimes dont show up without a right click/refresh.

Thank You! The right-click thing did it. The pitchlist file showed up and things make a lot more sense.
Thank you very much!

RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by cpowell on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 am
Steve Carter wroteIn Superior Drummer 3, open the 'grid edit' and on the left hand side you will see the various drums/cymbals listed.

If you click on a cymbal (small arrow icon or something similar - not at my computer), a drop down list will open showing the various 'articulations' available for it. If a choke is listed you can insert a note against that articulation.

Regards...

Thank you! I had to search around to figure out how to open the Grid Editor in SD3, but I was able to find that.

I was trying to do this editing in Studio One 4 Drum Editor but it works in SD3 Grid Editor. But thanks to the suggestion on Right-Clicking, I was able to load the correct pitchlist and now I can edit in both views.

SD3 is way beyond Addictive Drums, but one thing Addictive Drums actually does better, is the cymbal choke.

In SD3, it appears you just find the note and it executes a hit with a cymbal choke pre-made. But in Addictive drums, you can hit the choke note at any time and it really does choke the cymbal.

For example: I hit a crash, let it decay for 1.5 beats (like a dotted quarter note.) Then I draw in the choke note. There is no new hit executed, just simply stopping the decay where I draw in the choke note.

I really wish SD3 could do that because it is superior (see what I did there?) to Addictive Drums in every way except for this one thing.

Thank you for your help.

RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by j0001s on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:31 am
Superior 3 works the same way as Addictive drums, i.e. you put the mute in when you want the regular cymbal to stop.

I read what I initially wrote, and it's not clear as it should have been. Apologies.
by wallygontowski on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 am
[quote="cpowell"
Thank you! I had to search around to figure out how to open the Grid Editor in SD3, but I was able to find that.'''....[/quote]

FWIW

The Grid Editor can be opened up in several ways:

* Double clicking on a Song Block in the Song Track (Alternates between Edit Play Style and the Grid Editor)
* Right clicking on a Song Block and selecting Edit MIDI
* From the Block Menu and selecting Edit MIDI
* Selecting a Song Block and pressing the "E" key (it will toggle between Edit Play Style and the Grid Editor)
* Clicking the small arrow in the upper left of any Song Block
* Clicking the Grid Editor Tab at the top of the Edit Play Style

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat, Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Pro, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 2 X 4TB Internal Hard Drives, 3 X 4TB External BU Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors, Custom built desk with integral Rack mount.

My WEB site: http://www.gontowski.com/music
by andreascasado on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:17 am
How exactly do you make Studio One find the pictchlist? I have refreshed the file explorer window, and restarted Studio One, but still only GM drums is available.
by leosutherland on Tue May 19, 2020 4:35 am
Apologies for the necro.

I've downloaded a .pitchlist file (for EZDrummer 2) from the Exchange. So where do I actually put it?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.6
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, Maschine 3

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by BobF on Tue May 19, 2020 7:23 am
leosutherland wroteApologies for the necro.

I've downloaded a .pitchlist file (for EZDrummer 2) from the Exchange. So where do I actually put it?

There is a bundle (.soundset) I posted a pic of in your thread. When you download it, choose Open With Studio One. It will install everything for you, making a set of EZD pitchname sets available in the list.

To answer your question, YOURLOCATION\StudioOne\Presets\User Presets\Pitch Names

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by leosutherland on Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am
BobF wrote
leosutherland wroteApologies for the necro.

There is a bundle (.soundset) I posted a pic of in your thread. When you download it, choose Open With Studio One. It will install everything for you, making a set of EZD pitchname sets available in the list.

To answer your question, YOURLOCATION\StudioOne\Presets\User Presets\Pitch Names

So what is "YOURLOCATION"? I've checked S1 install folder, User projects folder, ToonTrack installation folder, and I see no StudioOne\Presets\User Presets\Pitch Names folder in any of those?

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by BobF on Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 am
Mine is

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by leosutherland on Tue May 19, 2020 10:50 am
Ah, yes, got it - thanks, mate :thumbup: . Had to make a new folder, hence not finding it :roll:

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

15 posts
Page 1 of 1