Capture 1.x and Capture 2.x
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys, just have a basic question about capture.
I'm currently using Presonus 16.4.2 as my mixer.
And connected it with my macbook. I tried to use capture for recording.
Everything went well, I can see the audio input, I can record music and vocal.
But one thing is I couldn't hear the playback in capture when I hit play button.
Can somebody teach me how to fix this please?
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:11 pm
Hi and welcome :)

Capture is a recording tool, not a mixer. You have two options:
- With the 16.4.2 connected you can play the tracks back to the mixer channels (by engaging the firewire buttons on all mixer inputs) and mix as played live, or
- You can open the Capture session in Studio One and mix and play it from there.
by dockavanagh on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:08 am
I have a similar problem . I have an AR 12 and Capture 2 on my Macbook . How do I get ALL the waves back into the AR12 for remixing ? Only some channels come back when I press the USB button . There's a 3/4 button with a USB symbol but it does not seem to do anything . The Reference Manual says that it " streams " channels 3 and 4 . I don't know what that means . Thanks

AR 12 , Macbook Pro , Capture 2
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:17 am
You can’t. The AR mixers have only 2 stereo returns from computer to mixer. You can record the mixer’s main mix and all analog inputs, except for the super channel, on separate tracks but you need a DAW like Studio One to produce a proper mix from it.

The good thing is that you can open Capture recordings in Studio One. All you need is the .capture file and the subdirectory with the WAVs. You can copy the peak thingies too but if not then S1 will recreate them.
by dockavanagh on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:06 pm
Switchback , thank you . My next question would be ....... can I put Studio One on my PC down in the basement for mixing and mastering , but keep the AR12 with the sound gear out in the garage and transfer the files from Capture on my Macbook Pro ( in the garage with the Ar 12 ) by using a flash drive or a portable hard drive ?
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 pm
Sure you can.

You can open Capture sessions in Studio One. All you need is the .capture file and the subdirectory with the WAV files. And these files are platform-independent.

Any medium formatted as FAT32 can be used to tranfer files between Mac and PC. With FAT32 the maximum file size is 4GB per file. Any larger and you need to cut the files up (e.g. into a multi-part zip file) before you can copy them onto the medium.
by dockavanagh on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm
Outstanding . Thank you very much . I think I understand much of what you just told me . I'm going to bury myself in the Reference manuals over the next few weeks and see what I can learn . I do have a gig next week that i would love to " capture " . I can download it and re mix it the following week . What an awesome thing it is for me to be able to actually record a live gig ; all 8 tracks !
by dockavanagh on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 pm
Switchback . OK , I found " AR12Mic_Line 1,2,3, etc .wav " files under " PreSonus Recorded Audio " . And , I was able to listen to the drum track . So I think I'm getting somewhere !

Now I just tried to download Studio One 4 and a pop up tells me that " the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows I'm running " " Check my information to see if I need an x86 or x64 version , then contact the software publisher . " Wow ...... I have no clue . Is it because I'm running Windows 7 ?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 am
Studio One 4 is compatible with Win7 (64 bit) + SP1 + Platform Update. So make sure you have those Win7 updates installed before installing Studio One.

From S1 you don’t want to open a WAV but you want to open a Capture session. Per default Capture will create a dated subdirectory in /Presonus/Capture/ for every new session you start. In that subdirectory you’ll find a .capture file and an /Audio Files/ subdirectory with WAVs. You want the .capture file and the /Audio Files/ subdirectory copied to your Windows computer. You don’t need the /Cache/ subdirectory.

From S1 you can open the .capture file as an “existing Document”. That way you get all WAVs to open in the right places on the time line. S1 may ask you where it can find the WAVs but once it knows all should be fine.
Last edited by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
by dockavanagh on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 am
Thank you so much . I will try all that . Wish me luck , this stuff is way out of my comfort zone .
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:15 am
I went back and checked, and Win7 must be the 64 bit version. You may have to upgrade.
by dockavanagh on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 am
THX
by dockavanagh on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:29 am
Looks like it . My computer guy is on it ! He says :

I mentioned that to you way back when that you only had 32bit operating system and that it would benefit you to go to Windows 7 64bit, or even Windows 10 64 bit.
Up to you, but I would need the computer here and I could back up and reformat to Windows of your choice. LMK?
BRIAN KAVANAGH
LEVEL1 PC, LLC
M-F: 10AM-6PM
www.level1pc.com

13 posts
Page 1 of 1