8 posts
Page 1 of 1
When using a CS18ai/Motu/Router/Rm**ai setup moving a fader quickly can either have no effect or it takes a second or two to respond.

Does the same aet up using Series 3 mixers have the same delay?

StudioLive 32sc, SL24r, NSB8.8
Imac 27, Macbook Pro , Macbook Air
Studio One Pro 5.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:04 pm
All motor faders are "touch sensitive", but the Series III mixers are a lot faster to "translate" a touch into movement. The CS18AI needs time to recognize the touch. It will react late, if you move a fader too fast. Touch, wait, move is the principle, but "wait" and "move" does not mean one second or two. If you see such a delay, something is wrong in your set-up. My CS18 and two RM mixers never had such a delay, even not in UC Surface. The network has no (not such a) delay.

When you see the level of a fader displayed in the upper right corner of the touchscreen, the CS18 has recognized the touch and you can move the fader.
by Colourwheel on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 pm
the channel can already be selected working.
Im unsure what else can be wrong in the network though, everything is plugged in and working as it should its just that delay that's popping up.

Studio One Pro 5.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm
I can confirm a short lag between fader movement and acoustical event, when the Wifi dongle is used on the CS18. But that's less than one second. And I remember several posts about this theme here in the Forums, but I do not remember any solution. Probably it's always a "bundle" of reasons, which need to be sorted out.

Always helpful is loading the "Zero Out" scene, because it resets the mixer to factory settings. Many people don't do that or do that much too little. Scenes can easily get corrupted, which can lead to "funny" effects. Next I would look at "macthing versions" of firmware and software. You can use the latest firmware on the CS18, BUT NOT ON THE RM mixer! If you need a correct display via FireWire (levels, Smaart), you must stay with UC Surface 1.8 (it maybe that you also need to use an older firmware on the CS18). Then I would check how the "most minimal" configuration reacts, which is the rack mixer directly connected to a router and an iPad with UC Surface as "mixer". If this works correct, then the problem is the CS18AI and/or its connections. The Motu AVB switch has a dedicated port for the router and no other items should be connected to the router.The "audio network" needs to be totally separated and no other network should use similar IP addresses.It should make no difference, but it makes sense to connect the RM mixer to port 1 and the CS18 to port 2. Not to forget that the router needs to boot fully before the mixer boots. Only then the CS18 should be powered. Never start all machines at the same time! UCNET will tell more about the connected devices.

A lag of faders usually indicates a network problem (maybe IP address conflicts), while FireWire normally causes no problems. But it may help to disconnect FireWire and WiFi on the computer, in order to be able to see how the networked devices react and communicate.

Hope this helps.

:)
by Colourwheel on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm
Unfortunately ive tried to zero out the board to and no joy.

I will try minimum different setups and see if i can narrow it down but im still sure its a network issue within the RM.

When you mention the Motu having a dedicated port for the router can you explain more? I follwed these instructions which does say not you use the dedicated port.
https://youtu.be/FzqQqFlb5tQ

Studio One Pro 5.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 am
I have always used the port labeled "Ethernet" on top with the LED's "L" (or "E") on the front.
by mwatzal on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 pm
I had this effect with the previous firmware version of the CS18. After changing the mix layer, the faders did not react in the first 1-2 seconds. With the current firmware on the CS18 the problem is gone. There is still a short latency, and the faders do not work as smoothly as in the Serie3.

But please do not make a firmware update to the latest Version on the RM-Mixer. There is a mistake in which you lose control of your mixer.
by romansavrulin on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:49 pm
Colourwheel wroteWhen using a CS18ai/Motu/Router/Rm**ai setup moving a fader quickly can either have no effect or it takes a second or two to respond.

Does the same aet up using Series 3 mixers have the same delay?

I experience this from time to time. Do not why and when it starts. Usually in the beginning of the sound check, after I connect a Mac to firewire. I can even loose the control over network completely.

Rebooting the mixer with firewire connected to Mac usually helps and everything runs flawlessly after.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1