33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Jemusic wroteI am still confused. You are not clear about what is exactly in the two instrument tracks. Does one have the organ only and the other the organ followed by the Leslie. Or do the two instrument tracks have the organ followed by the Leslie and if so why?
One track's MIDI out is pointing to the organ (Instrument), the other MIDI out to leslie (Insert). MIDI in of the leslie track depends on what works best for you or your devices (Instrument or external)

Jemusic wroteI managed to get all this to work with one instrument track, organ followed by Leslie.
How do you set the input to the leslie insert without instrument track?

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Jemusic on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 am
Can you create a diagram please. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

Still don't get it. You say the other track's midi out points to the Leslie insert but an instrument track cannot contain an insert only. Where do you put it. Sorry to be a pain. I just cannot visualise what you are suggesting.

I just created a single instrument track. Organ VST followed by Leslie Plugin. Only had to tell the organ VST to pass midi onto the Leslie effect. (Kontakt Player in this case and you can do that. I guess your method works for organ VST's that cannot do that)

I had to create a knob in the channel editor and assign that knob to the Leslie speed (in the case of the PSP L'otary it is called lever. That was easy. Then I mapped the Mod wheel to the knob. That was it. It worked.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by niles on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 am
Jemusic wroteCan you create a diagram please. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
phpBB [video]

Jemusic wroteI just created a single instrument track. Organ VST followed by Leslie Plugin. Only had to tell the organ VST to pass midi onto the Leslie effect. (Kontakt Player in this case and you can do that. I guess your method works for organ VST's that cannot do that)
How can you add an Instrument and Insert serially?

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Jemusic on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 am
Thanks Niles much appreciated. I think the OP may also find this helpful too.

This works fine for me as well especially for organ VST's that cannot send their midi data out. Also this does not require any setting up in the channel editor which is handy. Needs two Instrument tracks.

My approach (single instrument track) still works great but only if you can send the midi data out from the synth which Kontakt can do. I cannot get this to work with Presence for example. Is it possible for Presence to send its incoming midi data out? It still requires setting up a knob in the channel editor though.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Nip on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 am
Charles Allen wroteThanks for the help, guys, but I still can’t accomlish what I want. I don’t like having to keep the plugin window active on my screen for one thing, and for another, the vst isn’t actually passing the midi data directly to the Leslie plugin.

First thing I come to think of to check - does multi instrument feature in StudioOne allow loading audio effects as well?
Uncharted territory for me yet, this one.

The idea below though should work.

You might succeed with a host plugin like BluecatAudio Patchwork - useful for a lot of things.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

In synth version you can load audio plugins as well and route as you please with midi and audio.

I use for so many purposes, loading a handful of midi plugins and a couple of instruments as well. Making horn sections and whatnot ran by chord voicing over the instruments. Sales pitch just to justify the investment, I mean.

Since VST3 instruments are supposed to support audio inputs as well, you can do many things this way.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by JohnBW on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 am
Got this working here with the Niles solution, thanks!

Went about it a bit differently regarding plugins, but the same solution worked here. Used the AIR Xpand!2 Gospel Tonewheel Organ sound on the first track, plus the AIR DB-33FX Leslie cab plugin as an insert FX. The second instrument track output is assigned to the Leslie FX insert.

Using the same MIDI controller assigned as input to both instrument tracks.

The Xpand!2 preset had a MIDI CC assigned for the modwheel to control rotor speed, so just told the instrument to forget that CC assignment. The DB-33FX Leslie picked up the modwheel via the second track. Much better than the fake rotary effect in Xpand!2. :thumbup:

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by BobF on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 am
niles wrote
Jemusic wroteCan you create a diagram please. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
phpBB [video]

Jemusic wroteI just created a single instrument track. Organ VST followed by Leslie Plugin. Only had to tell the organ VST to pass midi onto the Leslie effect. (Kontakt Player in this case and you can do that. I guess your method works for organ VST's that cannot do that)
How can you add an Instrument and Insert serially?

Niles - Please post a direct link to the vid so I can watch in a browser. Embedded is too small, FS is too large.

TIA

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Charles Allen on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Thanks for the video, Niles.

Jemusic, Same goes for me. I've been fiddling with this since days and apparently, I'm dumb. All I know is, people saying, "oh, just do this n' this" isn't helping. I'm a fairly bright fellow, but this is still rather evasive and obscure for me . . . LOL. When I add the channels, I don't get the same configuration available to me as Niles' video shows. . . . *Sigh.

As regards the whole control linking bit, that's ok for live performance, I guess, if you don't mind keeping the channel editor window as the active focus. Still, you can't record the midi and play it back without keeping the plugin container open and active on your screen. That's not at all helpful in my situation. I'm pretty sure that this whole "control linking" feature is primarily directed towards live audio mixing, more so than VSTi recording.

Still don't get it. You say the other track's midi out points to the Leslie insert but an instrument track cannot contain an insert only. Where do you put it. Sorry to be a pain. I just cannot visualise what you are suggesting.

I just created a single instrument track. Organ VST followed by Leslie Plugin. Only had to tell the organ VST to pass midi onto the Leslie effect. (Kontakt Player in this case and you can do that. I guess your method works for organ VST's that cannot do that)

I had to create a knob in the channel editor and assign that knob to the Leslie speed (in the case of the PSP L'otary it is called lever. That was easy. Then I mapped the Mod wheel to the knob. That was it. It worked.

Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Intel i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 2400, 1TB SSD m.2, 1TB 7200 HDD, ESI U168XT (USB 2.0) - Windows 10 x64.
by Charles Allen on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Thanks, Niles. Your tip is working for me with other Leslie plugins, but NOT with IKM T-Racks 5 Leslie. For some reason, the mod wheel changes the "Spring Reverb" amount. I have the plugin configured correctly. It's configured to use cc1 to change rotary speeds . . .. Umdunno.??

It's working properly with Amplitube Leslie, but not with T-Racks Leslie.

Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles

Intel i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 2400, 1TB SSD m.2, 1TB 7200 HDD, ESI U168XT (USB 2.0) - Windows 10 x64.
by Jemusic on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:29 pm
That is something that is happening within your plugin itself. Even though you think the mod wheel is controlling the Leslie speed, it is in fact not but rather the spring reverb level as you say. It took me a little while to get PSP L'otary to pick up the mod wheel as well. It was quirky in getting the Leslie speed to map correctly, but once it did all was fine.

If you do in fact get it going maybe save the plugin preset so it can be recalled and you will be sure it will work every time.

by Charles Allen on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 pm
Jemusic, the plugin works great in Samplitude Pro X2/3/4, Reaper, Bitwig, Ableton Live and Mixcraft for me. I think I might have jiggered it up by fiddling around so much with Control linking attempts. :oops:
It sucks for me because T-Racks Leslie is by far the most authentic-sounding Leslie plugin I've heard yet! Amplitube Leslie is very, very close, but there seems to be a little extra something special in the T-Racks variant. *Umdunno.
Jemusic wroteThat is something that is happening within your plugin itself. Even though you think the mod wheel is controlling the Leslie speed, it is in fact not but rather the spring reverb level as you say. It took me a little while to get PSP L'otary to pick up the mod wheel as well. It was quirky in getting the Leslie speed to map correctly, but once it did all was fine.

If you do in fact get it going maybe save the plugin preset so it can be recalled and you will be sure it will work every time.

Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles

by Jemusic on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:45 pm
Well then that is different. If it maps and works great in the other DAW's then that obviously points to Studio One as the culprit. Try checking your mapping setting up the top left and make sure the right hand side (mod wheel) is not linked to anything on the left. Click the drop down menu in the left hand section to see.

This was happening to me last night in fact. The mod wheel was doing everything for a while instead of controlling Leslie speed. eg it was changing volume of audio tracks at one point! For the setup that Niles is suggesting (and it is a good one for sure) make sure there is no connection or mapping taking place in Studio One at all. It is not needed. The way Niles has configured this the mod wheel is pointing direct to the plugin.

by Charles Allen on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:09 pm
I’ll look into it. All the other Leslie plugins respond to my keyboard’s mod wheel just fine. This leads me to believe that there isn’t any unwanted mapping going on.

And yes, Niles’ little trick is a dandy solution. It’s much the same as the workflow that I use in Samplitude.
Jemusic wroteWell then that is different. If it maps and works great in the other DAW's then that obviously points to Studio One as the culprit. Try checking your mapping setting up the top left and make sure the right hand side (mod wheel) is not linked to anything on the left. Click the drop down menu in the left hand section to see.

This was happening to me last night in fact. The mod wheel was doing everything for a while instead of controlling Leslie speed. eg it was changing volume of audio tracks at one point! For the setup that Niles is suggesting (and it is a good one for sure) make sure there is no connection or mapping taking place in Studio One at all. It is not needed. The way Niles has configured this the mod wheel is pointing direct to the plugin.

Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles

33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2