Routers, Switches, Cabling, Access Points, Repeaters, etc all discussed here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Has there been any updates to this page?: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210194293
Specifically on whether Netgear switches work now and whether any of the Cisco switches (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/avb.html) have been tested to work?

I'm a systems admin by day so I'm very familiar with setting up networking equipment. I want to be able to setup my Studiolive console and NSBs in such a way that my link between the console and stage is redundant (stp or lacp), and also have vlans running so the control, recording, and guest networks are all separated for security. The SW5E does not have either vlans nor some form of link redundancy, so I really don't want to spend $600AUD per switch.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:54 am
You don't need an AVB switch, because each NSB has a switch built in. Also console and rack mixer/stagebox do not need an AVB switch. You can find two manuals on the download page: https://www.presonus.com/products/NSB-16.8/downloads.
by markturnbull on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:40 am
If I run a single cable from console to a stagebox, I have no redundancy on my long cable run. Additionally, I'd still need 2 more cables for the redundant regular control/recording network. And on top of that, trying to add in a second console or earmixes down the track is going to make for some crazy spaghetti if I try and link everything via passthru.
You might be comfortable with a single cable becoming a risky point of failure, but I'm not.
by matthewgorman on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am
I do not think that the cisco switches have been tested, but I did inquire. If I can get an answer I will respond here.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am
I own two AVB switches (Motu and PreSonus) and I do use them in several set-ups, but the PreSonus "ecosystem" does not necessarily need them. In your constellation console + two NSBs you don't need any AVB switch at all. Just connect the items with two CAT5e or CAT6 cables and your "ecosystem" is complete. The NSBs have no ports for remote control, so you need to connect the router to the console and remote control has to happen wireless. The only exception is a computer connected to the console via USB, giving access to UC Control and UC Surface, Capture and DAW mode.

Redundancy and AVB do not really go together. What I have seen as AVB solutions does not consider any kind of structure for redundant solutions. But AVB allows the "members" of its network to connect and disconnect, which might lead to ideas how to create redundant structures. Insofar a combination console and one or two NSB stageboxes is not a good one. Using one of the rack mixers (especially the 32R) instead would bring a second MIXER into the picture and therefore one possible solution for redundant structures. All you need to to do is to transfer the latest version of the scene of the console to the rack mixer, connect the rack mixer to the router and re-start the rack mixer. All other cables are already at the right place... ;-)

Spaghetti on stage is not really what we need, so it does take some planning to prevent chaos. PoE might be a nice feature, but this ultimately leads to "spaghetti" on stage and it eats up all mixer capacities. There are only 56 AVB stems in pairs of 8 and you really have to think how to use the streams. The pictures PreSonus is using in their manuals is kind of misleading. You don't get two consoles, two rack mixers, two stageboxes and two (or more) EarMixes fully working together. There is a lot of flexibility, but there are limits also.

By the way: EarMixers can also be directly connected to a console or rack mixer via CAT5e cables. It doesn't need an AVB switch...

5 posts
Page 1 of 1