Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sox I love the feeling of mixing bia knobs, however I am torn between the ar16 and the 1824 interface.

Mainly, recording from home, no live drums, etc. What would be the drawbacks/pros for each? Having trouble figuring out why I SHOULDN'T use the ar16 as an interface and mixer, so long as I can record in mono with it. I have tried research but get tons of conflicting information.

I will be recording via my Kemper direct in, going through a Yamaha HS8 monitor setup, and vocals will be live with an SM57.

I have read so much conflicting info about using an interface vs USB mixer, I figured I would finally ask here and get some real information!

Thanks in advance.
by SwitchBack on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:26 pm
Horses for courses.

The AR mixers are fairly simple analog mixers with a recording interface bolted to the inputs. They do great in simple live mixing jobs where you also need a good multitrack recording off the inputs. The AR16 gives you 12 ready to use mic inputs but only two mono outputs for monitoring. That’s rather limited considering the 12-16 inputs (which could easily accomodate say a 4 piece band). And you get only 2 stereo usb returns to the mixer.

The 1824 on the other hand is 100% geared towards studio work. Fewer ready to use mic inputs (8) but expandable, more monitor outputs (8) and expandable, and the 1824 is tightly integrated with StudioOne. No tactile controls though, unless you add a FaderPort to StudioOne.

As for quality the 1824 takes good recording (AR mixers) to very good recording due to better preamps and converters. Depending on your needs that alone could already be enough to make a decision.

Hope that helps :)
by jessegriebel on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 am
SwitchBack wroteHorses for courses.

The AR mixers are fairly simple analog mixers with a recording interface bolted to the inputs. They do great in simple live mixing jobs where you also need a good multitrack recording off the inputs. The AR16 gives you 12 ready to use mic inputs but only two mono outputs for monitoring. That’s rather limited considering the 12-16 inputs (which could easily accomodate say a 4 piece band). And you get only 2 stereo usb returns to the mixer.

The 1824 on the other hand is 100% geared towards studio work. Fewer ready to use mic inputs (8) but expandable, more monitor outputs (8) and expandable, and the 1824 is tightly integrated with StudioOne. No tactile controls though, unless you add a FaderPort to StudioOne.

As for quality the 1824 takes good recording (AR mixers) to very good recording due to better preamps and converters. Depending on your needs that alone could already be enough to make a decision.

Hope that helps :)

That definitely makes my decision much easier, thank you! I think, as much as I want to mix by hand, the interface is more suited towards home recording using the DAW. Haven't seen the properties of each described in such layman's terms/broken down so well for the recording-tech-illiterate, so I really appreciate that.

If it allows me to mix by hand, I will look into the Faderport as well. Haven't heard of it previously, so thank you for bringing it to my attention!
by Blades on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 pm
Hi Jesse,

Just wanted to drop my 2 cents in here. I recently replaced an older Echo Audio Layla 3G with the 1824 interface along with replacing a Behringer BCF2000 with a Faderport 8. I have also recently moved from Cakewalk/Sonar to Studio One.

Overall, after the learning curve (which there always is an ongoing one), I am getting used to the combination and finding it to be very comfortable to use and there are a few things that are standout advantages.

Even simple things add to the experience, like:
the ability to mute the output of the monitors from a front panel button or from inside of Studio One mixer view or

the simplicity of using transport buttons on the Faderport that directly map to their software counterparts (and are comfortable soft press lit buttons), or

the handiness of being able to have a locking Shift button on the Faderport hat allows me to start recording a part, then simply hit the Undo button (top right) and having that perform the actions of stopping the playback, undoing the recording, and returning to where I started with the single press or

the ability to record automation across several tracks at the same time while listening and adjusting on the fly with hardware faders that actually feel nice, or

being able to get around the tracks in a number of different ways - by bank, by channel, with the mouse, without the mouse, with buttons flanking the wheel/knob, by using the wheel/knob, etc.

Overall, it's just a great feeling to have so much flexibility to use the system like you want to, but also having everything so custom-made to work directly in Studio One, where other controllers in other DAWs have always felt like everything was a compromise and "close enough" or "I can get used to hitting that unlabeled black button two to the left of the other unlabeled black button" and other variations on that theme...

The 1824 interface sounds good, works as I expect it to, has low enough latency where I'm able to run the whole project without feeling the latency or having my moderately powered PC choke. My last song gave me no issues, no dropouts, and no oddities and was the first full tune I recorded in Studio One, with this interface, and with the Faderport (which you can check out here, though it's about to get a redo on the mix/master due to a few things I don't like: https://www.blades.technology/music/songs/anything

I got the interface on Musicians Friend on sale, which is now bested by the $100 off I saw on it there last night at $399. I got the Faderport 8 on ebay - new in box, for like $360.

I am super pleased with my home/hobby studio.

Hope you find this post useful.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..

4 posts
Page 1 of 1