Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
Bought Notion 6 earlier today and been with a couple of hours.
I also have StudioOne 4.1.1.

I've found settings for split point - for record and import of midi.

But cannot get this into grand piano double staves?

I started with transfer from StudioOne, but same result. So went into separate midi to see if import setting works.

So simply want to select all bars of double staves grand piano and make a split point so left hand become lower stave.

I tried changing transpose thingy up or down octaves - but only become more or less extra support lines - never flows over to lower stave.

And bar 25 and some further down get strange in Notion but plays and look perfect in StudioOne 4.1.1 as well as other daws. This bar become 6 whole notes, both as played and visually - and nowhere close what is there.

So this is all translate problem in Notion.

I try to upload a mid-file and we see how it goes.
Thanks.

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] PianoMidi.mid [ 5.65 KiB | Viewed 5117 times ]

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Surf.Whammy on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 pm
There is some useful information in this topic that should provide some help . . . :)

How to convert a single clef to a grand clef (when importing a midi track for example) ~ PreSonus NOTION Forum

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Nip on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 am
Thanks a lot.

I liked the comment
"6) Then I had an epiphany, which is the way it works here in the sound isolation studio . . . "

You're a funny guy. :D

I consider Notion education money, nothing you can really use for anything.

I did the same in Sonar 8.5 from 2010, and it was a breeze to get two staves and the notes splitted properly. Just open Layout dialog in Staff view, select treble+bass, and split note C5 and done.

and nothing funny how it interprets the midi file either. And having key signature to D-major in Sonar track - you get the two sharp accidentals in place as well.

For reference I did in Finale Guitar 2003 - and it also interprets correctly. I thought for a bit something was strange about the midi file since Notion made crap out of certain bars in there all through.

I focus on StudioOne which is incredible.

I assume as Steinberg just released Dorico, after having excellent notation already in Cubase/Nuendo - there is a market for it.

Hope Notion get the makeover it deserves.
Best regards

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by brundle-fly on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am
Yes, it's difficult or impossible to move notes between clefs of Grand Staff after the fact in Notion. You either need to import MIDI into a Grand Staff already established, and choose the split point correctly at that time, or... (I primarily use Cakewalk, so have not verified this) if the track is assigned to a piano VSTi in Studio One, my understanding is that the export to Notion will automatically put it in a Grand Staff. And I presume you get to choose a split point in that case as well.

But you're kind of SOL if the desired split point moves later in the piece.

P.S. I opened the MIDI clip in Cakewalk. It had a tempo of 100bpm, but feels more like 50bpm, and will probably notate better at that tempo. The timing of the pickup measure is a little wonky. If I listen to it in isolation, it wants to be a measure of 5/8 at 50bpm or 5/4 at 100bpm, but needs to be quantized a bit.

Studio One 3 Pro, Notion 5, Cakewalk by Bandlab
2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424 (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
by Nip on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:21 am
Thanks, did not look here for a good while.

Right now you have to name a track Piano or similar to get recognized as to possibly have grand staff notation.

If you instead could just focus on getting midi over to Notion, which is really simple these days - it would be a bliss. Then the staves you want paired, you just select them and some opertation - or want to split one into grand staff - you do that like in Sonar, as easy as it gets. And you can go back and forth until you find it's as easy to read as you want it.

I want grand staff for readability doing two hand stuff - no matter what instrument I used - string, piano, brass or whatever. Not correct in the musical sense to forward to a conductor to do orchestral work - but just for own reference and to leave for someone you hire to do their part in a recording.

Having 4-5 support lines above or below is not optimal for reading. Grand staff comes in handy then.

by allenarnette on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 pm
I can only second the question. I have (mistakenly) "built" a choir piece in Logic Pro X. It's four part choir with piano accompaniment (two staves for the piano - like the only way I've ever seen a piano score).

When I import it into Notion 6 everything is (mostly) good, except that the piano is all on the treble clef! How bizarre. I can't imagine why Notion 6 would offer this option, I con't relate to it's use value.

The question: How to split the correctly exported midi file (correctly created) into Notion 6 and have it look like a piano score (two staves).

Thanks to ever can help.
by Surf.Whammy on Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 am
allenarnette wroteThe question: How to split the correctly exported midi file (correctly created) into Notion 6 and have it look like a piano score (two staves).

This is relatively easy to do . . . :)

THOUGHTS

[NOTE: For reference, the "two staves" for Piano is called a "Grand Staff", and you can specify different types of staves in NOTION Score Setup. Ideally, if the imported MIDI appears first as horizontal sequencer bars on a Sequencer Staff (a.k.a., "piano roll"), then before converting to music notation, go into NOTION Score Setup and make it a Grand Staff. Then do the Convert to Notation step. This probably will do the required split of higher notes to treble staff and lower notes to bass staff, where a Grand Staff is the combination of a Treble Staff and a Bass Staff. There is a menu item for "Convert to Notation" on the "Tools" menu, and it will be enabled if you click on a Sequencer Staff . . . ]

There are several ways to do this:

(1) Import the correctly exported Piano MIDI into Studio One on an Instrument Track named "Piano", and then send the notes to NOTION. Naming the Studio One Instrument Track "Piano" provided the smarts to do it, and NOTION recognizes the smarts.

(2) MusicXML

(3) All the other ways that are explained in the following links to topics in this forum.

How to convert a single clef to a grand clef (when importing a midi track for example) ~ PreSonus NOTION Forum

Problems when importing a midi file into notion 4 ~ PreSonus NOTION Forum

There are so many ways to do this, thar I forgot nearly all of them . . . :P

One of the keys to doing this with maximum control is to set the split point in NOTION Preferences (see video below) . . . :+1

phpBB [video]

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. NOTION does a lot more than most folks who are not software engineers imagine. Doing things like the split-point conversion to a Grand Staff are easy to do as a series of small tasks that make sense to software engineers but probably make no sense to anyone else . . .

Since there is code inside NOTION to do a virtual festival of useful activities, it would be relatively easy for a software engineer to create a "Transform this to a Grand Staff with Custom Split-Point" menu item, but then the menus would become virtual festivals of useful menu item helpers, and what's the FUN in that . . .

For even more FUN, remember that software engineers often start working on new ideas but get distracted and then forget to remove the prototyped code that actually does the new ideas to completion correctly. Some folks call these "Easter Eggs" when they are done by design, but there are plenty of "Mystery Eggs", as well . . .

If it's not documented in the NOTION User Guide, then look for it here in the PreSonus NOTION Forum, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

7 posts
Page 1 of 1