Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently bought a PreSonus Studio 6/8; before I used a Roland QuadCapture. I am using this audio-interface with Studio One 4 Pro. The problem is, that the new interface gives me a hell lot more crackles and noise, than the old one did. I already tried out all block sizes, and of course it gets worse with 16 (totally unusable). But even setting the block size to 2048 does not remove the crackles. The CPU-usage is always between zero and 50 %. It is also independent from the song; even just playing one instrument without anything else (eg. Presence) produces the crackles. I had no issues with the old audio-interface with the same songs. My system is Windows 10 64bit and an Intel I7 CPU. All drivers are up to date (Windows, Firmware and Software-Drivers).

Maybe someone has any idea what I can change to get rid of these crackles. It is so annoying that it is not possible to have fun working in this way. I also already contacted the support, but as I need a solution within the next 5 days, I am also posting this topic into this forum.

Thanks for any help.

Mark
by Trucky on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:40 am
How much RAM is installed?

What versions of Studio One 4 and Universal Control are installed?

What are your "Processing" settings (Options>Audio Setup>Processing) set to?

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by mark scheuringer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 am
Thanks for the reply.

- Ram is 20 GB
- It is the latest version of Studio 4.1
- Processing is set to 512 blocks, 32 bit (but even maxing it out to 2048 does not get rid of the crackles)
by anderslechevalier on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:17 pm
Hi,

I'm having the same issues with crackling sounds both in Ableton, Audacity and YouTube/normal sound playback.

I have a Studio 26c, Intel i7, 32G RAM.

So far I've tested moving between USB 2 and USB 3 ports, and changing the UC settings. Nothing completely fixed the issue.

Changing to 44.1KHz/2048 samples makes it better, while 96-192KHz is almost impossible to use below 2048 samples.

It's easy to trigger. For example plying multiple channels sound (like pressing several keys on the midi keyboard) makes it worse.

Is this a hardware fault with the Presonus Studio 26c or something else?

I've added a sample how it sounds like when running at 192Khz 2048 samples.

Here is a video recording showing Presonus Studio 26c levels as well as Ableton Live sound levels during cracking sounds.
https://paste.tnonline.net/files/iZjIzJ ... io26c.webm

Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] Presonus studio 26c_1.m4a [ 727.36 KiB | Viewed 3487 times ]

by Trucky on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:15 am

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by anderslechevalier on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:28 am
Thanks, Trucky. I've already disabled some of the power savings things. Regarding CPU usage there seems to be plenty of CPU time available. I'll have a look and see if I can disable some C states in the BIOS.

I'm thinking the issues are more related to USB controllers or the firmware in the studio 26c something like that, because if I move the interface to a different USB port it can sometimes be great for a long time, until I restart or use an application that changes the sampling frequency.
by anderslechevalier on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:55 pm
anderslechevalier wroteThanks, Trucky. I've already disabled some of the power savings things. Regarding CPU usage there seems to be plenty of CPU time available. I'll have a look and see if I can disable some C states in the BIOS.

I'm thinking the issues are more related to USB controllers or the firmware in the studio 26c something like that, because if I move the interface to a different USB port it can sometimes be great for a long time, until I restart or use an application that changes the sampling frequency.

I believe the issue is finally solved!

The solution was to install a PCIe USB card and connect the interface to that. No pops or crackles any more now.

So, for those that do experience issues on any usb interface, perhaps this is a solution you too.

EDIT: One more thing I did to improve things was to set Windows Power Profile to "High Performance" and disable CPU C-states in the computer BIOS. Just as described in the earlier link ( https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ur-system- )

7 posts
Page 1 of 1