32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I've never had a Faderport, so wondering what people are noticing between the old Classic and the new 2018 far as quality, features, and workflow use in S1 v4. Price wise leaning towards the Classic for now unless the new one is so much better and features that Classic doesn't do, etc. TIA
by themaartian on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:42 pm
gregruscigno wroteI've never had a Faderport, so wondering what people are noticing between the old Classic and the new 2018 far as quality, features, and workflow use in S1 v4. Price wise leaning towards the Classic for now unless the new one is so much better and features that Classic doesn't do, etc. TIA

The Classic is working fine for me. If I were to spend money to replace it, I'd get an FP8.

That said, if I were buying either one new, I'd get the new one and pay the difference.

Others may respond with specific operational differences, but a biggie for me is that the new FP is USB 2. The Classic is USB 1. If you plug the Classic into a USB hub, it takes the entire hub down to USB 1 speeds.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by gregruscigno on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:10 pm
themaartian wrote
gregruscigno wroteI've never had a Faderport, so wondering what people are noticing between the old Classic and the new 2018 far as quality, features, and workflow use in S1 v4. Price wise leaning towards the Classic for now unless the new one is so much better and features that Classic doesn't do, etc. TIA

The Classic is working fine for me. If I were to spend money to replace it, I'd get an FP8.

That said, if I were buying either one new, I'd get the new one and pay the difference.

Others may respond with specific operational differences, but a biggie for me is that the new FP is USB 2. The Classic is USB 1. If you plug the Classic into a USB hub, it takes the entire hub down to USB 1 speeds.

Great info to know and ponder. Thanks especially for the USB 1 and hub info. That is very important to consider in setup.
by Guido Negraszus on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm
I just replaced my old Faderport with the new one.

It all works as advertised, it looks good with all the nice and colourful lights BUT:

The 3 big failures compared to the new one:
1) Undo
2) Undo
3) Undo

Whoever designed the new Faderport most certainly never worked with the old Faderport on a day to day basis. I would put all my money on it! What are the most used buttons on the Faderport? Surely, we all have different working routines and styles but I'm quite certain that most people would use all the transport buttons, the fader and the Undo button all the times. Sorry Presonus, You screwed up on this. I hope that they can add a possibility (future updates) where you can flip the prev/next with undo/redo. The need to first press shift is a huge step backwards.

On the plus side:
I like the rotary encoder for scrolling through your project (bar by bar)
Click button
Marker button

Studio One 6.2.1 Professional, Win10 x64, i9 9900K @ 3.6Ghz, Presonus Studio 18/24 USB, UAD Apollo Twin X USB, NI S61 MK2, NI Maschine MK3, Faderport, S1 RC
http://www.guidonegraszus.com
by MickMack on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 am
? by the Knob!
Shift + Undo/Redo
No Problem!

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 / 16gb Ram / 500/500gb SSD / Win 10 64bit /GeForce-GTX-1060-Grafikkarte/ Monitor BenQ 2560 x 1440 /Studio One 4.1 / Presonus Studio 192 / Roland JP8000 / Moog Sub 37 / Behringer Neutron / Korg MS-20 / Dynaudio BM5 MkII / Roland/Cakewalk A-500pro / Arturia Keystep / Arturia SparkLe / Presonus Faderport
U-he / Arturia V-Collection V6 / Dune 2 / NI Komplete Ultimate 11 / XLN Addictive Drums 2 / Sonic Charge Microtonic u.v.m.
by MickMack on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 am
gregruscigno wrote
themaartian wrote

Great info to know and ponder. Thanks especially for the USB 1 and hub info. That is very important to consider in setup.

Vor the Price is the FP8 the best Deal!

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 / 16gb Ram / 500/500gb SSD / Win 10 64bit /GeForce-GTX-1060-Grafikkarte/ Monitor BenQ 2560 x 1440 /Studio One 4.1 / Presonus Studio 192 / Roland JP8000 / Moog Sub 37 / Behringer Neutron / Korg MS-20 / Dynaudio BM5 MkII / Roland/Cakewalk A-500pro / Arturia Keystep / Arturia SparkLe / Presonus Faderport
U-he / Arturia V-Collection V6 / Dune 2 / NI Komplete Ultimate 11 / XLN Addictive Drums 2 / Sonic Charge Microtonic u.v.m.
by gregruscigno on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:06 am
Thanks for comments so far everyone!
Very helpful!
I was just gifted a like new Faderport Classic from a friend who upgraded, so I am now proud owner of the original for my first! I’ve only just begun to learn its use, but like it already for my home studio setup.
Cheers!
by thorstenmustermann on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am
Guido Negraszus wroteI just replaced my old Faderport with the new one.

It all works as advertised, it looks good with all the nice and colourful lights BUT:

The 3 big failures compared to the new one:
1) Undo
2) Undo
3) Undo

I use the old original Faderport Classic together with the Faderport 8. This seems to be a very well configuration. It is so essential to use the Undo button and also switching to the Mixer - the Editor - and the Pool/PlugIn/Instrument Window WITHOUT using every time the shift combination on Faderport 8. Fast, easy and uncomplicated. I never understand why on Faderport 8 /16 or on Faderport 2018 are not independent buttons for this essential functionality at Studio One. The F1-8 solution in combination with Shift button is still an unwanted workaround on Faderport 8/16. This special control units should not be using analogous to ordinary computer keyboards.

Also I use surely every 20 seconds the "User" button on Faderport Classic configured as "Save" button. I never trust all software developers on the world! We are all long-life beta-testers for software companies. Never forget this. So saving a song/project every 10-20 seconds is a lifesaver for me.
by klypeman on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am
I totally disagree on the "Undo" topic as I need those extra half seconds to re-adjust before undoing stuff. As fortune has it there are also a "Redo" button :D

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by gabrielantonini on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 am
Hello, I am using faderport 8 with Pro Tools Ultimate and cannot get the scrolling to be audible.
Any thoughts?
by danam2 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:20 am
I am a little late to the party, but nevertheless I am able to give a comparison:
I am using the Classic for a couple of years now. Especially when used with S1 it is awesome. What I did not like that much about it:
- The pan pot is awful. Very hard sounding rasterization and one "click" moves the pan pot very far (hard to say this as a non native speaker, but I hope you get what I mean)
- Could have used a couple of configurable user buttons.
- A display is missing, especially since it is not always so easy to tell which channel/track is selected in S1

Now the 2018 version:
- unfortunately it is a little bit too long for its place on my desk. If the connections were put below the surface (so that only the cables stick out at the end) it may have been ok...
- There are a couple of new functions I like, but some of them need the shift button and that one is horribly placed, if you ask me.
- The new big knob is as awful to me as the small pan pot from the Classic version :thumbdown:
- Still no display...
- The link feature of the big knob would have been very useful in general, if it would just imitate a mouse wheel. The way it is you can only use it in S1 (understandable, but to the disadvantage of the user) and I think you have to click the parameter you want to adjust (can't remember exactly) It is also only usable for automatable parameters. Try it with Amplitube or TH3, where the controls have to be mapped to automation parameters first :-(

The unit I got had a fader with a very suspicious noise in addition to the moving noise I know of the Classic version and other controllers. But I am pretty sure it was just a faulty one.
Anyway, as you may already imagine, I kept the Classic and gave back the 2018 version. That's sad, since it seemed very promising....

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:13 pm
I have to admit that I have no stinking clue what "link" is supposed to do. The manual is too vague and I need a real-world example of how to use it.

Frankly, I'd go with an 8 if I had to do it over again. I was too new to Studio One and didn't do enough research. There are controls on the 8 (and 16) that are not available on the 2018 (sends)

Sure you can set that up but I thought for sure all these buttons would have covered that.

Can't compare to the old since I never had it but it's a decent controller and helps out quite a bit.

Bye......:roll:
by darrenporter1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:11 pm
If you like the Faderport you will LOVE the FP8/16. Get one, you won't regret it!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Well, that is great but I just paid for this one :lol:

Maybe I'll craiglist it and see what I can get. (I don't do shipping pay scam/e .ay/reamverb, they always take the buyers side and they can make up any nonsense they want to get a refund)

by darrenporter1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm
You can keep it and save-up for the 8/16. They work together nicely... master fader, extra set of transport controls at a 2nd location, etc.

by garyshepherd on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm
The Faderport V2 2018 is just the right size - the trouble with the FP8/16 is the size and the number of faders - having one fader is perfect as you know which track it controls - with 8 or 16 you have to remember which fader is which. Just my view on what works for me and the size of my workspace.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 am
Yeah I get that and it does fit best on my space. But don't the channels have a readout for which channel they are?

by garyshepherd on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteYeah I get that and it does fit best on my space. But don't the channels have a readout for which channel they are?

No - you have to look at the screen to see which track is highlighted - actually easier than viewing a small channel indicator (on something like the Behringer X Touch). In a way it is better to follow on the software rather than the hardware - this controller is tied to the software but if you have it like I do, on the left of the keyboard (and mouse on the right), you can look at the screen while moving the fader up and down or the encoder knob without always having to look down at the Faderport. It is becoming second nature to me now like using the mouse without needing to look at it.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 pm
I think Reggie meant the FP8/16 has a little screen above each channel that has the track name on it so you can easily see what channel each fader is for.

If you set up your FP8/16 to work in conjunction with S1's console scenes intelligently then your faders' order will match exactly with what is currently on your screen making knowing where you are and what you are controlling much more intuitive and easy. I rarely even look at the tiny channel screens on the FP8. I set up custom macros mapped to function keys to easy cycle between previous/next console scene and both the console view and the FP8 switch together and match 1-for-1 pretty much instantly. It's a very powerful workflow feature!

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 pm
That was what I was thinking.

32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2