Discuss Progression - tab, notation & songwriting for guitar, bass, keyboards and drums
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just don't get progression at all. It's cumbersome and NOT userfriendly. I regret I bought it.
Is there any out there that can give some tips and tricks on this one as i'm about to delete it.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by Kiwicomposer on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:03 pm
Check this..

Video's here might be helpful..
http://www.notionmusic.com/support/tutorials.html

Or here if you prefer..
https://www.youtube.com/user/NotionMusicVideos/videos

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by klypeman on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:36 pm
Kiwicomposer wroteCheck this..

Video's here might be helpful..
http://www.notionmusic.com/support/tutorials.html

Or here if you prefer..
https://www.youtube.com/user/NotionMusicVideos/videos

@Kiwicomposer this is the Progression Camp, not Notion Camp...

This is why I did'nt buy the Notion program, as I tried out the Progression and don't fancy it at all, much too cumbersome to work with straight from the download and looked forward to compose and listen to it on the way and got a long nose. :x
I can't get the chords to play and so on and so on, I gave it an hour some sounds I managed to pry out of it but lost patience quickly and I'm a patient man. After one hour I usually is in the groove with most things I put my hands on but this one I pass.

One thing.. It was cheap, still I feel a bit robbed.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by klypeman on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:04 am
I kind of figured it out, but this looks like it's a midi foremost program and the way the guitar tab thing is working still baffles me.

Forum Moderator.

by dr4kan on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:32 am
I have progression as well and I found it quite nice and powerful actually. I think you just need to get used to it.

Guitarist and composer:
----------------------------------------------------
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/davi ... d968493291

My system:
----------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB ram
Presonus Sphere
by matthewgorman on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 am
Anything is tough to use if you have frog hands. ;)

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Musical Gym on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 pm
Give the Guitar Pro 6 demo a try if you haven't done so. It may be easier for you?

It's on sale at various vendors and can save to .gp5 files for importing into Ample Sound's tab player in their gutars and bass.
by RecL2R on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 am
Hey gang,
(apologies in advance for the long winded response)

New to Progression as well.
It was NOT easy or intuitive for me either.. n' I test software for a living and have been using DAWs for a couple of decades.

However, I'm determined to change my song writing work flow.. n' to me that meant using a score tool first (Progression).. then the DAW (StudioOne). I recently switched to StudioOne.. so found Progression on the PreSonus webby and took the plunge.

Bought it in early September.. Sat down with it twice to try and make use of it. => didn't get far.
Walked away scratching my head wondering :cry:

Yesterday was the 3rd try.. n' I finally broke through the clouds [i]so to speak..[i]

I found the Quick Start User Reference and the User Guide to be of little to no help.
All of the video tutorials seem to start from "the ease of clicking around and using the GUI controls".

Didn't find much help up front about how to set up the app.. they pretty much skip over it as if to assume
you'd be using it on a system with a very basic/default audio device setup (e.g. a laptop).

I installed Progression on my DAW with StudioOne and an RME RayDat interface for audio and midi.

I had to step back.. consider the internal Mixer in Progression.. and then route the audio before I could hear any sounds whatsoever.
Once I got that mapped out, things started making a bit more sense and I got into the groove of building out a complete score with drums, piano, guitar chords and text for the lyrics..

The Lyrics tool is still pretty strange but now I have an idea there's another config/setup parameter that needs to be set in order for it to work correctly. (I'll post a question about that).

There's definitely a learning curve.. but glad I finally got through it.
Progression will be an awesome tool to in the song writing arsenal. => straight to the Score and THEN record.

Now I perceive the score environment to have a playback cursor (the yellow/green silhouetted bar) and all the staves are tracks.
Spacebar=Play everywhere, except when using the Text tool.

I'm now looking forward to scoring all of my songs before actually recording them. :mrgreen:

Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 / Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz /12 GB DDR3 / RME RayDat / ART TubeOpto8, Motu 8Pre & Line6 UX2 Interfaces / StudioOne Pro v3.2.3 / SawStudio v5.5 SAC v3.1
by tleyva on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 pm
I would have to say that I also have tried using Progression 2 and have had a tough time. I can add, I work with 3D software, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sony Vegas, Studio One, and a bunch of other programs every week. That said, Progression has me boggled.

I guess what boggles me most is the utter lack of reviews, previews, documentation, tutorials, or videos available. The stuff on YouTube posted before Presonus bought the program are really badly done. This program almost doesn't even exist.

Can anybody please point out some resources where a newby can figure out this program quickly? I really wanted to get Prog 3, but am afraid to spend more money for no improvement on the ease of use. Thanks for any help.
by C.LYDE on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:02 am
Reading the comments below, they don't really address the "hard"...

The marketing on the webpage :
Best playback of any notation product, with samples from Neil Zaza, Victor Wooten, and Roy "Futureman" Wooten
.. . and when one loads a basic example, a message appears
E. Guitar sounds are not available.

Then begins the journey of discovery of how actually to get a single sound without buying an add-on pack :? :!:

So for example I own an extensive sample library, actually several and it would make perfect sense to link a simple instrument score to an external VST instrument like NI Kontakt? Well it should've been.. :hunf:
Instead of simply double clicking on the existing template instrument name and a window popping up to allow the user to select a VST or Notion instrument, the whole process becomes messy...Tools>>Use Instrument>>New Instrument>>VSTi Instrument (name is defaulted, in this case to Kontakt5 .. imagine the fun with having to rename to suit an orchestra template?)

So the next step is to create my own templates based on VSTi instruments... I consider myself an experienced user, but I'm disappointed by something which promised to be faster/slicker/easier than firing up Cubase and doing my writing there.... which is not the case.

Win8.1 | Touchscreen | Roland Duo | Yamaha THR | Studio One 3 | Progression |

10 posts
Page 1 of 1