Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Whats up everyone - first post here and first time using PreSonus as well.

I'm trying to set up my StudioLive 16.4.2 along with my Studio One 4 set up. It's the outputs that are messing me up.

In the Audio I/O Setup when i go to Output's it only lists my options as Ch 1-16 or 2TrackIn L and R. There's no "main output" option.

It was preset for Ch1 / Ch2 but of course during playback if i don't have Ch 1/2 pushed up then there's no sound. Also I should note I'm having to have the FireWire buttons on the top of Ch1 & 2 (the ones near the faders) pushed on as well in order to get any sound at all.

Hoping someone can dummy walk me through this lol. Thanks in advance.
by SwitchBack on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 pm
Hi and welcome :)

What you see is all correct. You can return 18 channels of audio from your computer to the mixer: Ch 1-16 go to the firewire buttons on the 16 mixer channels, and 2TrackIn L and R go to both firewire buttons above the sub faders. Of those two firewire buttons the one below the '2 Track In' knob will put 2TrackIn L and R on the main fader. The one below the 'monitor' knob will put 2TrackIn L and R in your phones (and on the control room outputs).
by willsamstutz1 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 pm
SwitchBack wroteHi and welcome :)

What you see is all correct. You can return 18 channels of audio from your computer to the mixer: Ch 1-16 go to the firewire buttons on the 16 mixer channels, and 2TrackIn L and R go to both firewire buttons above the sub faders. Of those two firewire buttons the one below the '2 Track In' knob will put 2TrackIn L and R on the main fader. The one below the 'monitor' knob will put 2TrackIn L and R in your phones (and on the control room outputs).

Man this kinda set up is all so confusing to me lol. Coming from a Korg 32XD where its basically plug and play...this is a bit daunting.

That being said - its working lol. My next question would be - is there a way for me to cut the flow through sound. For example, even when I do not have any tracks armed to record, if i press anything on my keyboard the sound goes through. I can still control it with my master fader but I was wondering if theres a way to cut that sounds completely or does it just come through no matter what?

Thanks for the help above!
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:51 am
Did you use one of the StudioOne templates to set up your session? Because that would make things easier.

The SL16.4.2 has a 32 sends / 18 returns interface built into a 16 channel mixer. Of the sends (to the computer) the last 16 are user configurable (e.g. for sending the aux inputs or mixer outputs to the computer) and the first 16 are hard-wired to the mixer’s analog channel inputs (always sending those inputs to the computer). The 18 returns (from the computer) go to the firewire buttons on the mixer, the first 16 to the mixer’s channels and the last two to the main/monitor section.

The 16.4.2 templates in StudioOne will set up a session where the mixer’s channel sends are mapped to S1 tracks, a bus on every track is mapped back to that channel’s firewire button on the mixer, and S1’s main output is mapped to the firewire buttons in the main/monitor section of the mixer. This setup allows you to use the mixer as an ordinary 16-channel mixer (mixing its analog inputs to its analog outputs). In addition to that the firewire buttons on the mixer channels allow you to replace any of those analog inputs with its track returned from the computer. This will only affect the mixes on the mixer, not what’s sent to the computer (which is always the mixer’s analog inputs).

So, with your keyboard connected to the mixer and S1 playing some tracks, you only engage the firewire buttons on the mixer channels you want to hear playing from S1. And in S1 you only arm the tracks you want to record from the mixer. During the recording session you will listen to the mixer’s mixes (not to 2-Track). And after the recording session is done the 2-Track return is there for you to play back and listen to the mix from S1. Or you can engage all the firewire buttons on the mixer channels and do the mixing on the mixer.

Hope that helps :)
by blakewidzinski on Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:52 pm
HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP HERE. I've used a template for the 16 track and when I try to playback on my laptop, thats disconnected from the mixer, only the first two tracks will playback sound. Windows is setup as two tracks in and out and i cant for the life of me fix it. I've looked everywhere and can't find anyone with this issue
by SwitchBack on Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:07 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

This thread is over 5 years old and these AI mixers even older. So first let us know:
- the exact model mixer you have (and the firmware version on it),
- if you are on Mac or Windows (and which OS version),
- the mixer control software/driver installer you're using (and version), and
- how you connected mixer to the laptop (Firewire? Which chipset?)

The classic mixers were a handful to get connected properly. Every detail counts.
by gregmein on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:50 pm
blakewidzinski wroteHOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP HERE. I've used a template for the 16 track and when I try to playback on my laptop, thats disconnected from the mixer, only the first two tracks will playback sound. Windows is setup as two tracks in and out and i cant for the life of me fix it. I've looked everywhere and can't find anyone with this issue

Yeah I'm having what may be the same issue or similar. I've just recently gone back and connected my SL1642 to an older Dell Win10 PC with a FW400 board. I've got it working fine.....with DAW programs where I can set my outputs to any of the 18 channels but for normal Win programs like Media Player how the heck would I tell Windows to use 2TrackIn L/R??
by SwitchBack on Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:00 pm
OK, in general there are 2 options for apps to access audio hardware/drivers:
  1. The app has its own Audio Settings menu where you can choose the interface (or in this case the mixer) from a list. Often it is the name of the interface (family) in combination with ASIO (for Windows computers). In case of multi-channel audio devices the Audio Settings should also allow you to choose channels.
  2. The app does not have its own audio settings menu and defaults to using whatever Windows is using. In this case it is important to install the latest version of the PreSonus Universal Control (UC) driver&control app that goes with both your OS and your interface. For the 16.4.2 on Windows 10 that would be Universal Control v1.7.6. For the 16.4.2AI on Windows 10 (64-bit) that would be Universal Control v3.6.0.66460. In UC you have a Settings tab where you can change the WDM Setup. This is where you can set the channels Windows will be using, and consequently any app defaulting to those settings.
Hope this helps :)
by gregmein on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:31 pm
Kind of odd, I don't see anything like that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jpOBVK ... sp=sharing
by gregmein on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:41 pm
I have to take back the last comment, I see it now in the little window. Still didn't work for win media player though?
by SwitchBack on Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:04 pm
Can you post a picture of the 'little window' options? As it's been a really long time ago for me. The WDM options should allow you to direct Windows system audio to channels 17/18. You may have to restart the computer to make that take effect for apps like Media Player too. If not then see if Media Player has some WDM options too.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1