FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I'm not sure why this function is ignored by every manufacturer, but I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one creating headphone mixes for clients.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by matthewgorman on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:52 am
Go to answers.presonus.com to log feature requests. Look for an existing one first and vote it up. If there is nothing there that matches what you want, create a new one.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by thorstenmustermann on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:41 am
Certainly you not alone.

First of all it seems primary a problem of SO. If you move with your computer mouse! over the cue mix area from each track and changing any cue mix (send) faders (of course with mouse wheel or mouse moving) you will note that SO is not reflecting this action at upper corner left at the automation parameter window. In consequence FP8 can not "see" any cue mix (send) faders of each track in SO.If you have assigned some cue mix channels for your multiple in/output Audio Interface you can see from each assigned cue mix a global cue mix output channel in SO. If you than hit the "All" button (EDIT: or even "Shift"and "Bus" button) on FP8 you can navigate to your output section and select one of or assigned cue mix channels. You can than changing the global volume level of each cue mix channel with your FP8 motor faders. (Also mute and solo) You can not change via FP8 mouse over functionality (Pan/Param Knob) the clicktrack level and click on/of function. (Just mono/stereo is until now possible)

The "More Me" individual cue mix levels in FP8 could realized as follow idea:.....

select a track - hit "Shift" button - hit "Sends" button (colour of "Sends" should be change to red) - use faders for changing each cue mix volumes. Eight motor faders means probably eight cue mix channels - means also for stereo 16 (sixteen!) physical extra outputs at existing audio interface.

In practical it is probably more administrable to use for "more Me" mixes for each musicians the Presonus Studio One Remote App via wireless iPad. This app have IMHO a fully cue mix functionality until now. If you recording a complete Band i would suggest that all the players are not sitting/staying close to the FP8 controller.even if recording room is same as mixing room. Make sense to use in this case a convenient wireless iPad unit.

But anyway. Presonus should implement also a functionality cue mix section in FP8 for SO.
by vanillawafer on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 pm
This is needed very badly. Just got my FP and was really wanting a way to adjust cue mix sends, sucks this can't be done.
by patricemazmanian on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:47 am
What is it today?
Before buying Faderport 16, I would like to have this info:
Is there the possibility mix phones with faderport 8? (mix cue)
Thank you
Patrice

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by thorstenmustermann on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 am
No,
until now FP8/16 are not able to adjust the cue mix levels and cue pan positions. Even not with the mouse over functionality. What can you do?

Well, use any iPad (starting at the third generation?) with the Studio One Remote Control app (free available) and your performer will have via touchscreen a personal choose to mix his own cue level/pan each track.

As default the cue mix levels and pan positions will first follow your movements on the regular track faders and panning positions for each mixing channel. There for you can make a "premix" for your musician performer to make a basis for his individually cue mix. See please the lock and unlock symbol at the cue mix parameters.

Another point to discuss, is the way how Studio One handle the cue mix routings. The cue mixes are only on channels visible which are routed to a real output. You should be routing each individually channel to buses or sub buses after finishing your recording sessions otherwise you loosing the directly cue mix settings from each mixing channel.

Please notice, that the iPad option needs a wireless connection to your computer. (wlan router) But there for it is nice for each musician to have a close functional remote control offside the control room/place for his phones (cue) mix. Probably a better solution than moving the FP8/16 to the place where the actor is playing the instrument in a different room.

By the way: With the PreSonus Studio Remote Control each musician is able to start and stop the recording session his own. Very nice!
by darrenporter1 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:12 am
Please up-vote the feature request here...

https://answers.presonus.com/15049/plea ... 049#q15049

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Bbd on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am
I voted for it.
:+1

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by darrenporter1 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Thanks! I agree that this is a HUGE oversight and theoretically at least should be pretty easy to implement.

by patricemazmanian on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm
I voted

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...
by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:36 pm
mikemanthei wroteI'm not sure why this function is ignored by every manufacturer, but I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one creating headphone mixes for clients.

I dont see that it's ignored as much as its really a DAW control surface. There's no signals passing through it as in a mixer,. Yet it does provide the VCA, Pan, Level, and send control to faders as they are integral to the DAW mixer. Not what you want, I know.

If the Faderport were cueing up some hardware audio interface, I'd want dedicated faders. Not something I'd have to switch to have faders handling Cues. They are pretty much performing quadruple duty now. Something like StudioLive, with a pad would make that very accessible Imho. If your running seperate headphone mixes, you want that hardware, anyway.

Though ...pssssst.... my wishlist I would like about 4 banks for plugin control instead of just one. So I do het the feeling of wanting more. The Faderport 8/16 have their niche in the market. You may want to look into a tablet running a seperate monitor or auxiliary mixes.

Anyway as a control surface, I'm not looking for that, nor ever have with a similar device. But good luck gettingnyour wish anyway.
I'll give it a yes vote, though. :D
Voted.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:09 pm
The problem you have here is suppose you have got three cue mix sends set up on every track. How is Faderport going to give access to all three from just the one track. Unless of course you do it the way it does now by switching through each normal send one by one.

See Darren's post below. Faderport does control Cue Sends after all

If you have got a second screen showing the whole mixer setup by the way and fully expanded vertically, the way the cue sends works now is rather excellent. You can see every single one of them all at once. Even if you have 3 or 4 cue mixes setup. This is also a great way to see and adjust all cue sends at once.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by darrenporter1 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm
Select track
Press Shift-Send
Faders magically control each cue mix level for that track
Press left/right for prev/next track

by mikemanthei on Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:21 pm
darrenporter1 wroteSelect track
Press Shift-Send
Faders magically control each cue mix level for that track
Press left/right for prev/next track

I'll have some of what you're smokin'

Perhaps you have your cue sends locked to the main faders and you only *think* you found a cool new hidden function on the Faderport?

'cuz I just tried the most recent Universal Control, and it doesn't have an update for the Faderport.

==============================================
Or maybe did you set up your cue mixes as normal outputs (not put the check in "CUE")???
That would be one way to get those outputs listed under the normal "Sends" and then the Faderport could control them.
However, you'd miss out on the LLM pipeline and have horrible lag in the headphones...

Or maybe...
There was some firmware update that I don't know about???? :)

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Jemusic on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:44 am
If Cue Mixes are created and ticked in the Audio IN/OUT section, then Faderport can only control them if the little padlocks are blue and engaged and then Cue mix sends follow the fader settings as they should. By actually controller the main channel faders. Shift+Send does nothing on my FP8 anyway.

Once you unlock the cue mix sends and want to control them via Faderport you cannot this way. The only way is to create buss and create normal sends to that buss and then assign that buss to the direct outputs e.g. Sub 1 or Sub 2 etc. They do show up then under normal FP sends.

Monitoring successfully through software is determined by the audio interface. For example over thunderbolt a Focusrite Clarett can achieve 2 ms round trip latency which is so fast it is seriously not noticeable. Quantum is faster still!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by thorstenmustermann on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 am
Jemusic wroteIf Cue Mixes are created and ticked in the Audio IN/OUT section, then Faderport can only control them if the little padlocks are blue and engaged and then Cue mix sends follow the fader settings as they should.

Right. With other words: A Cue Mix makes IHMO only sense when you can use it independently from the regular fader settings at the mixer. Before I like to see that the Faderport 8/16 or Faderport 2018 will support the Cue Mixes, I like to see a well engineered Control (Cue) Room System for Studio One like other DAW will have. (Cubase)

You can use Cue Mixes in Studio One only on channels which are routing directly to an physical output. For example after routing or grouping a multitrack drumset construction to a Drum Bus this will loose all independent Cue Mixes on each drum microphone channel. Strange behaviour I would say.

Jemusic wroteMonitoring successfully through software is determined by the audio interface. For example over thunderbolt a Focusrite Clarett can achieve 2 ms round trip latency which is so fast it is seriously not noticeable. Quantum is faster still!

I'm a Drummer with 40 years experiences. I never trust Cue Mixes with overall 1ms latency! Until now my only acceptable way to use Cue Mixes is the "ASIO Direct Monitoring" solution. Since modern A/D and D/A converters are able to going under 1ms latency. For this scenario the unbelievable flexible "Total Mix" Routing System from RME Audio-Interfaces is a real lifesaver.
by mikemanthei on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:18 am
Actually, I just figured out how to do this. It's not an easy parameter change or anything like that.

It's a rather large undertaking, as you have to find a controller that outputs raw data and then program a new custom "control surface" from scratch....and then create a template in order to use it.

I'll post a video soon showing it off, but it's just dramatically changed my workflow.

I couldn't make it work with Faderport. In fact, I couldn't make it work with any of the controllers I've tested recently. I ended up using an old Tascam US-2400. Video coming soon.

The project isn't complete but I got enough functionality to use it for my own stuff. I don't think it's ready for prime time quite yet...but the results look promising.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm
The video as promised...
https://youtu.be/eV1pW9X3wNY

I had to re-configure the Tascam.... it's normally a 24 fader with 8 banks... which (if you're using the normal HUI or Mackie control mode) gives you 192 channels. But I reconfigured it to be 24 channels by 8 "Layers" deep. A subtle but important difference. So rather than banking around to get to things, I'm using it as 8 scenes. 1 control room layer, 1 pan layer, 1 Aux sends, and 5 headphone mixes. Perfect for me.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by neilrogers on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 am
mikemanthei's video proved not only can it be done but the benefit of having it as a feature. Thank you. What you accomplished with the tascam is exactly what many of us want for the FP series. It makes it even more incredible that Presonus has not done this. I am hoping that they implement this soon. A software update to SO to interpret the signals (like the TASCAM did) and then a firmware update to the FPs to add a new function (shift-send seems like a good place to put it and then use the scroll knob to cycle between ques - or at least allow us to program the F1-F8 keys to the sends).

BTW, I voted too. Lets get this link out so we can increase the up count on this feature.
by mikemanthei on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:18 pm
I guess we could call this one resolved. I haven't had a chance to test it because, well, some of us just can't wait around for three years.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2