Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
The regulators are on the main board, not on the power supply, they are on the left side, near the first PCM4204 ADC, they will recognize them because they are large surface mount, they have a code 45 500, but they are 5V regulators, are both together next to the power supply connector, enter the +6.5 Vdc of the power supply.
by Riker on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:57 pm
Hello, exact same issue here. Worked like a charm for almost 8 years, then just like that, inputs 1-12 are dead.

Thinking about purchasing the power board for the 16.0.2, but would like to be a bit more sure that this board does in fact have the 5v regulators that will fix the problem.

Here is the board:
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/504548- ... -SL16M-PWR

Can anyone confirm that this board has the components that powers the inputs? and that, in all likelihood, will fix the issue? It will cost me about $130 Canadian to order the part and I can either install myself, if it's easy enough to do it, or have it replaced by a local tech company.

Thank you !!!!

Studio Live 16.0.2, Studio One 2.6, Event Opal monitors, Rode NT1A, Shure SM57, Beta58, 2014 Spector NS-2, Presonus HP60
by mpstar on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:55 pm
Hey, Guys! We found a solution thank's to oscarmonsalvo. He wrote not so much about this. I tried to PM him some questions but he did not answer. I decided to check the information from his posts and wrote some guide of successful repairing my 16.0.2 console - it also can be useful for you. http://musiconnect.ru/publ/device/no-in ... -solution/
by bernardsfez on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am
Thanks for this brillant DIY !!!
Ordered the regulators from Ebay, I’ll hope to have mine fixed soon as yours.
by bernardsfez on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:24 am
THANK YOU SO MUCH mpstar for this tutorial !

I ordered the regulators (5 for $3) and followed your instructions.
The very last chunk was complicate as the 2 old voltage regulators were glued.
I had to dismantle completely the board and to heat the glue with a hot gun and... force it out. :)

2 days now that my StudioLive 16.0.2 is working perfectly (better than it has ever did).
No more noise on power on.
No more long lose of audio on music change on Logic or disconnection the computer.
No more 10mn to wait when power is turned off.

HUGE thank you again for saving my StudioLive !!!!

phpBB [video]
by grahamgalloway on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:42 pm
I have just replaced the 5Volt regulators AND FIXED the no input on channels 1-12 problem on my 16.0.2.
This is how to do it you will need 2x 5volt regulators the originals have the following markings
45 500
F2 2N
I don’t know how these relate to the ratings of the regulators (MAY BE SOME ONE CAN ADD THAT) I had original replacements, but my local electronics shop had the same type, get the highest 5 volt rating to be safe. You need good to excellent skills for removing components and soldering, it’s very easy to damage the PCB tracks and ruin the main board that has the main CPU on it and this will destroy your 16.0.2. IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE SKILLS DON’T attempt this repair.
1. Removed the 2 small screws on the underside of plastic side panels and push them to the rear, so they them come off.
2. Remove 15 counter sunk Philips head screws per side and remove side panels
3. Remove all 12 gain knobs , Remove the 4x 5/65 hex screws near the gain knobs
4. Remove 5x countersunk Philips head screws on the underside at the front where the silver panel meets the grey panel
5. Remove 5x mushroom Philips head screws at the rear top of mixer
6. On the right side from front disconnect power to BNC light connector at rear, disconnect white power plug to top op panel PCB and ribbon cable.
7. Carefully lift off top of 16.0.2
8. The regulators are on the PCB with large CPU chip on it PN 410-SL16M-DSP , behind the power supply PCB. They are on the left hand side next to the white plug with 5x black cables and 1x red. Marking 45 500 F2 2N.
9. Take note of all plugs, take a photo or mark them. They have locking tabs on the side so don’t pull to hard. Remove all plugs and unscew PCB there are about 6 -8 screws.
10. Heat tab and legs on regulator and CAREFULLY remove with a fine pointed hobby knife
11. CARFULLY replace / solder in new regulators, check for track damage, you will need a magnifying glass or something similar.
12. Reverse process to assemble, power on a test before you put side panels on, in case you have a fault or missed plug. GOOD LUCK
by danieljosebenhayon on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm
I have the same problem with mine after a few months. In our country the official dealer of Presonus went missing by february, so I contacted a representative in the company that sent me to a cualified service (not oficial) which after a couple of months told me that the motherboard has to be replaced as a whole. The same thing (we do not repair, we replace) was told to me by the Presonus people. With taxes they give me an estimate of 540 U$ (no service charge, only the parts), which for Argentina is a small fortune. For what I read here this is a hardware construction defect of the product. I already tell the service guys to give me back my unit, because I don´t have that kind of money. Then I found this article, and the russian guy who even posted the pictures and other users that give detailed instructions about how to fix the board. It´s amazing. I will get back my 16.0.2 and then I will see what to do, but this post give me hope. thanks to all
by bernardsfez on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 am
Hello Daniel,

I was in the same kind of situation here (Israel) and that’s why I decided to go for the "hard way" as last chance.
The last chunk was for me the hard one (dismantling the old regulators from the board).

Use magnifying glass, unsold like "grahamgalloway" explained. Mine were hardly glued and heating them half helped.
Once warmed I used a screwdriver and a hammer taping nicely and firmly till the regulator went out (broken).

Good luck !
by joelcarbonelligonell on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 am
Hello people!

So I had exactly the same problem with my presonus 16.0.2 and I followed your instructions and (quite) successfully I replaced those 5v Regulators.

The mixer is working like a charm right now BUT the 48V phantom power its not working on any input but the talkback mic. I did the proper checks on the preamps with a tester. (The light on the 48V button turns on).

So my question is, did any of you had this problem? Maybe it's one of the 2 new regulators that is faulty? Or maybe did I burn something while doing the replacement? It was quite hard to unsolder the old ones since they are kinda glued...

Also, I opened the mixer again and checked that all the cables are well connected, nothing seems wrong.

I would really love to know how to get back my 48v power :(

Thank you very much,

Joel.
by bernardsfez on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 am
joelcarbonelligonell wroteHello people!

So I had exactly the same problem with my presonus 16.0.2 and I followed your instructions and (quite) successfully I replaced those 5v Regulators.

The mixer is working like a charm right now BUT the 48V phantom power its not working on any input but the talkback mic. I did the proper checks on the preamps with a tester. (The light on the 48V button turns on).

So my question is, did any of you had this problem? Maybe it's one of the 2 new regulators that is faulty? Or maybe did I burn something while doing the replacement? It was quite hard to unsolder the old ones since they are kinda glued...

Also, I opened the mixer again and checked that all the cables are well connected, nothing seems wrong.

I would really love to know how to get back my 48v power :(

Thank you very much,

Joel.

Hello Joel,

Happy to ear your Mixer is back to life.

About the 48v, I didn’t have any issue with that before or after the fix (I fixed 2 mixer).
... Recheck the board for something unusual (burnt smell) or a bad capacitor (https://www.instructables.com/id/What-i ... Capacitor/)

Good luck
by joelcarbonelligonell on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 am
Hello and thank you very much for your quick answer!

So, I visually checked one by one each capacitor and they seem to be in a good shape.

It's true that when I opened the mixer it did smell a bit, but not like a burned thing, more like electronics...

I saw another post about someone having an issue with the 48v but it was because a cable was smashed when closing the mixer and that cable seems in a good shape inside my mixer too...

Well, in any case the mixer is working and that's already some good news!

I think i will leave it like this for the moment because I really don't know where this problem is coming from...

Thanks again!
by onkarsinghsingh on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:01 am
ic new mount.jpg
new voltage regulator mounting
it seems that blowing of 5 volt surface mount voltage regulator is quit common.
one simple solution to this problem is to replace regulator with high power / rating voltage regulator such as MC7805CTG or equivalent.
you can mount this voltage regulator on Heatsink situated near the power supply board.
there is already on hole spare on heatsink to mount the regulator.
you can use extension wires to connect the regulator to the main board.
one more point as original regulator is surface mount device it is difficult to it from PTH circuit board,
so if it is confirmed that regulator is defective you can cut/nip its two leg from board by edge cutter.
now simply apply soldering iron tip on remaining third tab & gently pull it from board by a tweezer.
in my case new regulator working fine, and this 5 volt regulator is easily available on any electronics shop.
i am a professional broadcasting equipment repair engineer having very long experience in audio and RF equipment. onkarsingh ( at )prasarbharati.gov.in

Attachments
IMG_20200620_201356.jpg
regulator
disassembled.jpg
consol opened
by ronaldoreyes on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:37 pm
joelcarbonelligonell wroteHello and thank you very much for your quick answer!

So, I visually checked one by one each capacitor and they seem to be in a good shape.

It's true that when I opened the mixer it did smell a bit, but not like a burned thing, more like electronics...

I saw another post about someone having an issue with the 48v but it was because a cable was smashed when closing the mixer and that cable seems in a good shape inside my mixer too...

I think i will leave it like this for the moment because I really don't know where this problem is coming from...

Thanks again!

Hi Joel,

I have the same issue with my mixer i already changed the two regulators but the 48 volts is not working, hopefully someone can have a solution to this problem
by jonathanschneider4 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:26 am
ronaldoreyes wrote
joelcarbonelligonell wroteHello and thank you very much for your quick answer!

Thanks again!

Hi ,

I have the same issue with my mixer i already changed the two regulators but the 48 volts is not working, hopefully someone can have a solution to this problem

same issue on my side: the 48V is down on all input channels since yesterday, and after a few messages with Presonus, this is the Support manager Jonny Doyle's conclusion:

if the factory reset has not solved the problem then the product would have developed a fault.

We are very sorry but your product has reached the End of Service.

This means that there are no longer any manufactured parts to repair these products.
List of current EOS products is found here:

Link: https://www.presonus.com/support/repairs

There will be no active support provided for any End of Service product.

I can't say how much disapointing this response feels... I mean this product might be sth like 8 years old, but I bought it 400€ less than a year ago from its first hand owner who barely used it...

And that's probably what it should still be worth. Even if this is a Firewire version, this is still highly sophisticated technology. (Which is backed by the current price of its USB brother; the functionalities of these devices are absolutely not outdated.)

Anyway if anbody has more infos about this issue, I'd be glad...

In the meantime I'm waiting for another response from the Customer Support, we'll see.
by joelcarbonelligonell on Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:21 am
Hello,

So, I sold mine to a friend who sent it to Presonus and they said it was the power supply PCB that was malfunctionning, so they replaced it, but it was maybe two years ago and in Europe!

I wish you the best luck!
by narosis on Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:24 am
@Bernard

May I inquire, do you know what to do should your 16.0.2 need servicing? I'm asking because i contacted support about having mine serviced due to the same analog channels 1-12 issue, mine seems more persistent and i'm not fortunate enough to have my inputs work (even intermittently) and support told me that since the model was discontinued they no longer service them, when i say reading those words caused me to throwaway all of my presonus gear (the 16.0.2 was a gift thus it's priceless in its value to me, I no longer use studio one & if it's not related to the 16.0.2, i no longer utilize presonus as a vendor.
When i say it broke my spirit reading that email from presonus, it tortured me because i know the differences between the usb and firewire models is just that, the interface port, which should have nothing to do with the analog inputs or their circuits. What i'm saying is if you can service one servicing the other shouldn't be difficult nor impossible and taking away the option of having it serviced because it's "discontinued" is b.s. when the model still in assembly is not vastly different. I apologize for the word salad, i am genuinely curious as to your servicing solution.
Hoping all is well with you snd yours
by narosis on Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:25 am
@Bernard

May I inquire, do you know what to do should your 16.0.2 need servicing? I'm asking because i contacted support about having mine serviced due to the same analog channels 1-12 issue, mine seems more persistent and i'm not fortunate enough to have my inputs work (even intermittently) and support told me that since the model was discontinued they no longer service them, when i say reading those words caused me to throwaway all of my presonus gear (the 16.0.2 was a gift thus it's priceless in its value to me, I no longer use studio one & if it's not related to the 16.0.2, i no longer utilize presonus as a vendor.
When i say it broke my spirit reading that email from presonus, it tortured me because i know the differences between the usb and firewire models is just that, the interface port, which should have nothing to do with the analog inputs or their circuits. What i'm saying is if you can service one servicing the other shouldn't be difficult nor impossible and taking away the option of having it serviced because it's "discontinued" is b.s. when the model still in assembly is not vastly different. I apologize for the word salad, i am genuinely curious as to your servicing solution.
Hoping all is well with you snd yours
by SwitchBack on Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:16 am
Hi and welcome to this Forum :)

Bernard was here 3 years ago so may well have moved on.

As for the 16.0.2(no USB) it's hard to say how different the insides of that mixer are compared to the 16.0.2USB and how many of its parts are no longer available, especially key parts like processors and AD/DA converters. Any company, not just PreSonus, will stop support for its products when availability of parts ends and with that the guarantee that they can repair devices sent in for service. For computer (inside) products that time unfortunately comes way quicker than was the case with analog mixers, just a fact of life.

So the 16.0.2(no USB) is no longer serviced by PreSonus. Try an electronics repair shop, after you've done a thorough internet search for solutions for common problems.
by seanbrophy1 on Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:43 am
bernardsfez wroteThe console was turned off for a few hours.
I turned it on and the channels are back to normal.

Good to keep in mind... but a kind of a "windows" solution. :D

I am late to this party but it has happened to my unit. I powered on and off a few time to now avail, then gave up. After about 40 minutes I tried again and it is fixed. I am kind of happy it is working, but can you give me any idea of how reliable this is? Does the fact that it happened once kind of indicate those regulators are about to blow?

I love the unit but the last thing I want is for this to go AWOL in the middle of a gig. I used to be a computer engineer but that was a good few years ago and I don't really fancy hacking around with SMDs. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me about whether or not your unit continued to behave itself.

Sean Brophy

39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2