Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm moving Notion 6 and EWQL SO (running PLAY 4) on Windows 7 computer to a Windows 10 computer. I had to upgrade to PLAY 5 because the PLAY 4 CD installer fails on Windows 10.

When I export in Offline Mode the resulting audio file is very choppy. The tail ends of the notes are truncated. Playback works and exporting in real time works, but I'd prefer to export offline because it's much faster.

I'm using the Windows default audio on both computers

I can think of three possible causes:

1) PLAY 5 may not work well in offline mode. Not much I can do about that.

2) The SSD on the new computer has the operating system on it, so there's not enough space for the EWQL samples on the SSD, and I put them on a 7200 rpm hard drive. I should probably just bite the bullet and install another SSD, but before I go through all that I'd like to see if there's some other cause.

Could this be caused by using a slow hard disk instead of an SSD?

3) Searching the forums, I see several mentions of the audio buffer size with regards to export problems. When I first installed Notion years ago I have a vague recollection of having to change the audio buffer size. But I can't see where to set the audio buffer size in Notion.

There's a Control Panel button on the Audio tab of preferences in Notion where the audio driver is selected, but it's always grayed out on both my old machine and the new one.

Can someone point me to where I set the audio buffer size for Notion on Windows 10?

Thanks!
by johnnewberry on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am
Heah Bruce.
I would think that the 7200 rpm hdd would be suspect. If reducing the number of instrument staves eliminates the issues then the drive performance is not fast enough at reading and writing to the new exported audio file. Causing gaps or audible dropouts in the exported wave or mp3 file.

Also, the default OEM Windows audio device doesn't have an adjustable buffer setting to change in Notion. The Notion Preference Audio tab - Control Panel - button will be greyed-out.
If an dedicated hardware audio device is not available you may have better results using an alternative software audio driver like the free _ asio4all _ software. But that will I believe only benefit realtime input latency. Not playback. But then again maybe Offline audio export rendering may benefit from the potentially larger buffer setting of the asio4all driver.
Best solution though is an dedicated ssd.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by brucekvam on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:56 pm
Okay, that explains why I couldn't find any settings.

I tried ASIO4ALL and it didn't help matters at all. I also encountered errors when I tried to run Audacity while Notion was running with ASIO4ALL active.

There was enough space for me to put the Brass and Strings on the SSD, and that also didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if it's a problem with PLAY 5.

The new computer has an I7 running at 3.2 GHz with 12 cores, and the old system has an I5 running at 3.4GHz with four cores, so it doesn't seem that it would be a CPU horsepower issue. Both have the standard realtek audio.

Thanks for the tips!
by brucekvam on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:20 am
I moved the SSD from the old machine to the new, so the EWQL SO library now loads fast.

It didn't solve the choppy audio when exporting in offline mode, however.

It looks like it's in the PLAY 5 software, the new VST, Windows 10 or the hardware/drivers on the new machine.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior?
by johnnewberry on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:04 pm
Bruce have you turned off Windows hibernation and other power saving settings?

• How to disable power management settings in Windows.
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3875

My old, old computer with Windows 7/64 and (2) ssd works good during the Offline audio export when I use the EWQL Platinum library. I have Play version 5.0.5. No pops, no clicks and no errors. Also works fine when I use the Windows OEM audio device for Offline rendered audio export.

Passing on Bruce's question he asked previously...
brucekvam wroteIt looks like it's in the PLAY 5 software, the new VST, Windows 10 or the hardware/drivers on the new machine.

Has anyone else encountered this behavior?

,Newberry

by brucekvam on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:27 am
johnnewberry wroteBruce have you turned off Windows hibernation and other power saving settings?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, changing the power settings didn't fix the problem. It still chops off the trailing edges of the notes.

My old computer running Windows 7, Notion 6 and PLAY 4 exported just fine in offline mode. Maybe the new computer (with 12 cores) is too fast.

Well, thanks again for your help.
by johnnewberry on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 am
brucekvam wroteMaybe the new computer (with 12 cores) is too fast.

_from the product page:
* Notion is not compatible with i9 or dual Xeon processors on Windows
https://www.presonus.com/products/Notion/tech-specs

If you have one of those sounds like you'll need to wait for an update or a version that is compatible. So I'm guessing that some feature's may work and some not.

,Newberry

by brucekvam on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:24 am
The processor is just an I7, so it's not that particular incompatibility.

I found an audio buffer size setting in the PLAY application, but changing it didn't affect my problem, though reducing it to 512 did fix a horrible one-second latency when using the keyboard in PLAY directly.
by johnnewberry on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:57 am
brucekvam wroteThe processor is just an I7, so it's not that particular incompatibility.

Oh. I see you mentioned that previously. I don't have Windows 10. Or an i7.   Ok, if I can still help you I'd be happy and curious too understand the solution. A few questions to test next I'd suggest are...

- Does the issue still occur with fewer EWQL staffs in the Offline Export Audio process?
      Select (highlight) only a few staves exporting only 2 or 3.
- Turn off any and all effects. e.g. reverbs and efx in the mixer and the Play host player. Also test both with and without any of the microphone position wave samples.
 - Does it happen with Notion Sounds or other VSTI's?

For the process of elimination does any of those factors help with the main issue?
I think it should be easier then to pinpoint something further more if needed.

,Newberry

by michaelmyers1 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 am
Although my system is an i7 Mac, I have never been able to use offline exporting with any library player, even Notion internal instruments, regardless of the presence or absence of plug-ins. It has never worked in any version of Notion for me.

I've contacted tech support and have never received a response regarding this.

I've always used realtime export. I'm assuming this works for you, Bruce?

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by brucekvam on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:16 pm
johnnewberry wroteDoes the issue still occur with fewer EWQL staffs in the Offline Export Audio process?
      Select (highlight) only a few staves exporting only 2 or 3.
- Turn off any and all effects. e.g. reverbs and efx in the mixer and the Play host player. Also test both with and without any of the microphone position wave samples.
 - Does it happen with Notion Sounds or other VSTI's?

The offline export error occurs in a completely new file with a five-measure single EWQL staff and no effects. If I swap in a Notion instrument on that single staff it exports offline without problems.

Michael: exporting in real time works fine. It's just slow.

It's hard to narrow down the problem because I was forced to switch to Windows 10 and PLAY 5 at the same time. Everything worked fine under Windows 7 and PLAY 4. I tried to install PLAY 4, but the CD install discs fail under Windows 10, and the only option EWQL support gave me was to install PLAY 5.

Thanks again for your comments.
I'm having the same issues with exporting audio. Did you ever find a solution? I tried changing using ASIO4ALL and changing the sample rate but I am still having dropouts. In this thread "realtime export" has been mentioned several times. How does one export in real time? Through a rewire?

12 posts
Page 1 of 1