AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have an old 2-channel Firebox with a fried AC adapter. I got a VSL1818 back in January and considered getting a new adapter for the Firebox (which i will do just since the preamp is still fine). Is it possible to daisy chain the Firebox and VSL1818 through the spdif connectors? As I understand, spdif is sort of the predated version of an ADAT connection. I don't have the original midi/spdif connector so I'll have to order one. Just wondering if it's worth putting money into, or if I should look into other options for adding channels.

-The Firebox drivers do function on my OS
by cristofechabot on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:38 am
No.

You can NOT chain USB and Firewire devices. If you need to add channels to your 1818 you can can do so via it's ADAT optical ports. You need to use a device made for this purpose such as any of the Presonus Digimax series.
by danlevasseur1 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:31 pm
What about s/pdif connector? According to wiki, s/pdif sends 2-channel digital audio signal between devices. Would that not register on the VSL as a channel 9/10? I realize my question implied a full connection, but I should've articulated better (I realize USB to firewire is incompatible).
by cristofechabot on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:49 pm
Ok, let's try this again.....the answer is NO. NEITHER of these devices is a standalone PREAMP.
In order for either of them to function they must be connected to pc and you can't connect a USB and Firewire INTERACE to one pc at one time. As I CLEARLY stated in my last response, if you want to add channels to your 1818 you MUST use a STANDALONE preamp/ADDA converter such as the Digimax or Behringer ADA8000. Using one of these with ADAT inputs will get you eight more channels. In order to add channels via the SPDIF ins you still need to use a STANDALONE digital
preamp with SPDIF outs such as the ART DPSII.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DPSII--art-dps-ii

4 posts
Page 1 of 1