42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hi all,

Studio One has been my only DAW for the last 8 years - I’ve very rarely had problems.

However,
I just upgraded to Studio One version 4.0.1 on Wednesday and now I get random sound dropout only on audio tracks. I read related previous posts which haven’t helped.

I’ve tried 2 songs... one just completed and one from 2014. In v3.5.6 they both play fine with no issues. But in v4.0.1 all the audio tracks exhibit random sound drop out. (Each song has 6 VI's that have no issues).

The sound dropouts vary each time I play through it. I can see the affected channel meters fall to zero when it happens. When tracks go silent, it may be for 3-5 seconds or might stay silent till the songs end.

In v4.0.1 the Performance meter is way up at 40-50% during playback and also at the time of the dropout. But in v3.5.6, it is only at 15-20%.

My PC specs below show I have 16GB RAM and have 2 SSD's - one for System files and the 2nd for Studio One files. Windows 8.1 is all up to date and yep I've restarted my Audio Interface and PC multiple times.

I’ve adjusted my soundcard (FP10) Latency from 2.0 ms & up and its’ sample rate from 44.1-96kHz (and match it in Studio One) with no improvement.

I adjusted the "Dropout Protection" from min-max with no improvement either. Maybe I just need the exact right combo of these settings?

This is a weird problem - it doesn’t seem normal that things would be this messed up after an install? It seems like there’s some deep setting(s) I’m unaware of that is new in version 4?

I need some suggestions and help on this one please?

Scott

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by PreAl on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm
1) Exclude Studio One project folders and .exe from your antivirus scans.
2) Regardless of being on the latest drivers or not, try a complete uninstall of your audio interface drivers, reboot, then install the latest drivers. Strongly recommend this!! Do NOT just do a reinstall without removal and reboot. Then make sure studio one is configured correctly.
3) Make sure your audio interface is on the latest firmware.
4) Make sure any copies of ASIO4ALL are completely uninstalled... First thing you should check.

If that makes no difference you need to download latencymon and check out DPC on the drivers tab. You shouldn't be running Studio One or other apps whilst running.

Post a screenshot, sort by highest DPC.

Ignore anybody who says you need to reinstall Studio One. That's a waste of time in this scenario.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm
When you look at the Performance monitor what is the disc meter showing you.
Because the CPU use is higher in this case, it sounds like maybe something else is taking CPU resources.
Try setting dropout protection to minimum and adjusting the buffer settings to get smooth playback. Is anything in Low Latency Monitoring e.g. the little green Z. If there is, try switching that off.
Run the DPC latency check to see what may be effecting your resources. On my system it never gets any higher than about 70 uS.
This is not an issue for most. For example with me performance is not changed in 4.0.1 in fact I am seeing a slight improvement.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scottyo7 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:14 pm
PreAl wrote1) Exclude Studio One project folders and .exe from your antivirus scans.
2) Regardless of being on the latest drivers or not, try a complete uninstall of your audio interface drivers, reboot, then install the latest drivers. Strongly recommend this!! Do NOT just do a reinstall without removal and reboot. Then make sure studio one is configured correctly.
3) Make sure your audio interface is on the latest firmware.
4) Make sure any copies of ASIO4ALL are completely uninstalled... First thing you should check.

If that makes no difference you need to download latencymon and check out DPC on the drivers tab. You shouldn't be running Studio One or other apps whilst running.

Post a screenshot, sort by highest DPC.

Thnx PreAl,
I will try those items you listed.
But my FP10 PreSonus support stopped with Win7. It's firewire and ran good on my old Vista laptop. On this current one it uses a Thunderbolt converter and has been fine with Studio One version 2.65 and all version of 3.XX.
You say: Then make sure studio one is configured correctly.. How do I ensure that? I didn't change anything but wonder if version 4 did?

Jemusic wroteWhen you look at the Performance monitor what is the disc meter showing you.
Because the CPU use is higher in this case, it sounds like maybe something else is taking CPU resources.
Try setting dropout protection to minimum and adjusting the buffer settings to get smooth playback. Is anything in Low Latency Monitoring e.g. the little green Z. If there is, try switching that off.
Run the DPC latency check to see what may be effecting your resources. On my system it never gets any higher than about 70 uS.
This is not an issue for most. For example with me performance is not changed in 4.0.1 in fact I am seeing a slight improvement.

Thnx Jemusic,
DPC states it's not optimized well for Win8 on their site but I'll download/run it anyway. I read about Low Latency monitoring and the green Z and it makes sense when I read it but not the next day. :roll:

I'll post more info tonite after I try all these suggestions. ;)

Scott

-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:35 pm
I would not be running DPC remotely. Download it and run it on your own machine. Check what the uS reading is. It should be green and well below the line where things will start to go wrong. As I mentioned mine hovers around 70 uS all the time.
But I am not on line (with my audio machine) and not running any other processes in the background though.

if its high then you will have to determine what is causing it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jpettit on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 pm
Is it on all songs?

Try refreshing the cache files on the two that you mentioned.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 am
scottyo7 wroteThnx PreAl,
I will try those items you listed.
But my FP10 PreSonus support stopped with Win7. It's firewire and ran good on my old Vista laptop. On this current one it uses a Thunderbolt converter and has been fine with Studio One version 2.65 and all version of 3.XX.
You say: Then make sure studio one is configured correctly.. How do I ensure that? I didn't change anything but wonder if version 4 did?

I asked you to fully uninstall, reboot and install latest drivers (again). You need to check your S1 config afterwards as your driver settings may have changed. Again a simple reinstall will not do here. I've seen over and over again this sort out problems as registry settings and files are fully refreshed using this method (a simple reinstall may not be so clean).

The latencymon utility should give you the full story about your dpc latency use that.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by scottyo7 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:39 am
I did the following and I still have audio dropouts. :cry:
Maybe the screenshots* will show an issue as I'm not sure how to interpret its' info.

The Studio One 4 .exe and file/project folder are now excluded from MalwareBytes antivirus.
Uninstalled all Firewire/1394 drivers via the Device Manager.
Rebooted PC, then installed latest Audio Interface (FP10) Firewire firmware.
Confirmed that No Asio4All is installed.
Refreshed and deleted song cache files from folder.

*The first 4 screenshots are from "Latency Monitor" - the last 2 are Studio One's Performance Monitor:
https://imgur.com/zGGizqg (Drivers by DPC Count)
https://imgur.com/qlYp8Uw (Cores by DPC)
https://imgur.com/ZN5n8Jl (Main System Latency)
https://imgur.com/KVImMEL (All 8 Cores)
https://imgur.com/UKU3Oel (Perf Mon - Plug & Instr.)
https://imgur.com/gZ17Vby (Perf Mon - CPU)
Last edited by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Just My Songs
by PreAl on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 am
Thanks. The first image is too blurry for me to read text when I download it (I'm working away from home today however so maybe my issue?). Can you double check the quality of that first driver/latencymon image.

by jpettit on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:24 am
Sorry if you answer this already but is it all songs?

Can you create a new test song and slowly add things to get this behavior?

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:06 pm
Yup the first image is unreadable. Sorry.

by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:52 am
PreAl OK,
I took another image tonite after I ran "Latency Monitor" for 30 seconds.
Drivers sorted via DPC.

jpettit:
Sorry, I did see your request last nite it's just that I ran out of time after doing all the Latency Monitor stuff (download, take images, post images, etc.. ;)

Yes it does it on all songs. I tried 4 more previous songs. I have 60+ so I chose @ random.
And...
I made a new Version 4 Test Song with 5 PreSonus loops on 5 audio tracks and using EZD2. I still get drop out with just one loop. Then I added 2 more and the dropout is random among the loops/tracks. Lastly I added 2 more loops and the dropout is still random... I see no pattern to it at all. Every time I play the song through, multiple tracks at different times will drop out. Again, when it happens, the audio meter level drops out (stops moving).

I will try to create a video of the song playing with OBS but it's been a long time since I've used OBS so I'll have to figure it out again.

Scott
Last edited by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Just My Songs
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 am
Just out of interest I ran the same test and on the drivers page that value for DPC count 291556 for the Wdf01000.sys file in your case is either between 0 and about 70 as the total DPC count in my case. (Known good system). Your main system latency from your previous post seems OK.

by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 am
Thanks Jeff, that good to know something is OK.

I didn't now how to interpret those numbers. Just figured that as long as green was showing I was OK. I'd guess there's info/help on their page on how to read the info/numbers.

I got your PM earlier and replied via my phone but it didn't '[i]send' so I just sent it via my PC.[/i]

-Just My Songs
by PreAl on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:37 am
Sorry still realy hard to see the image, have you tried to download and view it after you uploaded it? Perhaps you will see what I mean.

I can just about see the Nvidia driver with highish latency. I would uninstall it and do a custom install of the latest driver. Only install the main driver, no other stuff (custom install). Afterwards check device manager for extra sound devices, disable anything that is nvidia.

Another thing to do is temporarily disable your network cards when using studio one in device manager (LAN and WiFi), that's a common cause of dropouts. That's something you just need to experiment with.

by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:51 am
Thanks PreAl,

Well I can see the image just fine on my PC and it's the same on Imgur host site. Does it stay blurry for you if you zoom the screen?
Is there a certain way you want it captured?
Let me know how many parameters accross the top you need and maybe I can capture a more succint image?

- I'm not sure I'm using the "Latency Monitor" correctly so maybe I need to read their website.
- I will look at the audio driver info you mention. I've turned them off in the Device Mgr before... wonder if they go turned on again?
- On my old PC, I did run S1 with the WiFi off but it hasn't bothered this PC but maybe it's an issue since I installed updates for Win8.1 the same nite (but before) I installed version 4.
- 9 were security patches and 1 was a general Window 8.1 update (KB2976978).

So...
One GOOD thing I did find on the "Version 4 Test Song" and my "Most Current Song" was that if I select all the audio loops then bounce them on the track into a congealed event on every track, then both songs seem to play OK.

But this is a WEIRD since I don't normally write like this. I always leave all the loops as originally dropped into the song, that way I can edit/change their parameters, etc., using their handles.

P.S. stayed up too late messing with this - going to bed now (it's nearly 5am in Seattle) and will get back at it tomorrow.

Scott

-Just My Songs
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 pm
All the four V4 songs from the Demos and Tutorials play fine for me without any rendering or any other form of editing required. The worst case being CPU use of 19% with the buffers set for 256 samples. Just some figures for you to compare to.

by jpettit on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:45 pm
scottyo7 wroteHi all,
I just upgraded to Studio One version 4.0.1 on Wednesday and now I get random sound dropout only on audio tracks.

This is what I would focus on.
Does 3.x work OK for the same song?
Or even 4.0?

Obviously trying to figure out if it is 4.01 or something in your system that coincidently changed around the same time.

by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm
jpettit wrote
scottyo7 wrote
This is what I would focus on.
Does 3.x work OK for the same song?
Or even 4.0?
Obviously trying to figure out if it is 4.01 or something in your system that coincidently changed around the same time.

jpettit: I believe I answered your questions in my initial post. I've copied that text from the 1st post to here and added a bit for better clarity:
"I just upgraded to Studio One version 4.0.1 on Wednesday and now I get random sound dropout only on audio tracks. I read related previous posts which haven’t helped.

I’ve tried 2 songs... one just completed and one from 2014. In v3.5.6 they both play fine with no issues. But in v4.0.1 all the audio tracks exhibit random sound drop out. (Each song has 6 VI's that have no issues).

In both songs the sound dropouts occur in v4.0.1 (not in 3.5.6) and vary each time I play through it. I can see the affected channel meters fall to zero when it happens. When tracks go silent, it may be for 3-5 seconds or might stay silent till the songs end.

In v4.0.1 the Performance Meter is way up at 40-50% during playback and also at the time of the dropout. But in v3.5.6, it is only at 15-20%.

My PC specs below show I have 16GB RAM and have 2 SSD's - one for System files and the 2nd for Studio One files. Windows 8.1 is all up to date and yep I've restarted my Audio Interface and PC multiple times."

Jemusic wroteAll the four V4 songs from the Demos and Tutorials play fine for me without any rendering or any other form of editing required. The worst case being CPU use of 19% with the buffers set for 256 samples. Just some figures for you to compare to.

OK, I'll try to take a look at the demo's but I chose NOT to download them with version 4.

Also version 4 is being wonky with my PreSonus soundsets. I had no issue with 3.5.6 (and other v3 variantes) but now it seems some soundset paths are missing from my "Locations" (Options, window) and it's asking to install (from only God knows where) some soundset. When I do that, then restart and reload a song, it states that those certain soundsets are already installed and then crazily asks "Do You Want to Delete them"? But the path it chose to delete from is where they have always been on my external USB 3.0 drive. :(

Scott

-Just My Songs
by scottyo7 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm
PreAl wroteSorry still realy hard to see the image, have you tried to download and view it after you uploaded it? Perhaps you will see what I mean.

I can just about see the Nvidia driver with highish latency. I would uninstall it and do a custom install of the latest driver. Only install the main driver, no other stuff (custom install). Afterwards check device manager for extra sound devices, disable anything that is nvidia.

Another thing to do is temporarily disable your network cards when using studio one in device manager (LAN and WiFi), that's a common cause of dropouts. That's something you just need to experiment with.

Hi PreAl,
I did un-install my spdif, Nvidia and other non used sound devices. But I think when I restart they will be re-loaded?

I also "Deactivated" or "Disabled" them prior to that. This is what I really need to do so they don't reload after every reboot - correct?

I don't believe I need to custom install the Nvidia sound driver (unless I misunderstood) because I only use the PreSonus FP10 driver (Firewire/IEEE/1394) for all my sounds (browser, Studio One, mp3 playback, etc.). Nvidia is used for my video since I drive two monitors with that.

Scott

-Just My Songs

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3