Share your songs!
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys, I haven't been in the forums much lately, but have been busy focusing on a release of some of my songs, I packaged as "Reasonable Approach". (C) All songs copyright.

https://jamesconradtucker.bandcamp.com/releases

Since it was made in Studio One, I wanted to share with the progress, and of course, always appreciate the feedback.

While on Bandcamp, I am tweaking any work if necessary, in preparation to send for distribution, so BC is a good starting place to preview, and make such changes if necessary (as is Nimbit).

I'll post some of the individual song information in the coming days, so sorry if you don't see that yet. Still, better that you can preview any song of your choice, and I'll be glad to answer any questions, or listen to your thoughts.

Again, thanks for listening. Files are FLAC, so the release quality is pretty nice (non compressed). I think the previews are mp3, but not sure of the resolution.
James

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 pm
I like all of this music a lot. I worked with a guitarist for a while and did some similar things a while back. Good to see. You realise how great live playing is even compared to using guitar type plugins. I will be happy to buy the whole CD and put it in my car next time I drive to Melbourne from Ballarat (About an hour and I do it quite regularly)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm
 Jemusic wrote: I will be happy to buy the whole CD and put it in my car next time I drive to Melbourne from Ballarat (About an hour and I do it quite regularly)

Awsome! I think these songs lend themselve to playing in the car, and also  "Walkman" type headphone music. Thanks so much for supporting the effort! I always do the same as our (all of us) creative goals are in some way, to make something out of nothing. To share and support our efforts. Be it constructive criticism, or shared observances. It means a lot.

Good to see. You realise how great live playing is even compared to using guitar type plugins. 

Yeah Jeff, a lot of emphasis went into the amp mic'ing, both near the speaker, and ambient distance. and having the controlled  feedback. At times, feedback was added, as a seperate track, but the emphasis was always to how feedback reacts. There's also some places where synths took over from the feedback, giving the impression "huh?, can guitar feedback do that?". At least, that was the intention, as well as it being fun to explore. The main ingredient being if it worked, musically. Surprisingly, a lot was plugin derived. Nice catch as to how that live sound comes across.

Synthesis and creating with them, is wonderful. The Arturia Synclavier is also on a few songs. All arpegiators were created from scratch, mostly with Chithulu like on the title track "Reasonable Approach". There, Chithulu was generating NI's FM8, and Massive, custom patches. Reason was also Rewired into S1, so a lot of handshaking at times. I just tried to make sure there was always some room.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by jBranam on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am
very well done Jim... i very am impressed. i am happy for you. i am also glad it took paypal. the price is more than reasonable so i threw you a tip in your tip jar lol. wish i could afford more but me car is on the blink again and having to save up.

i love good ambient music especially to help me sleep. can only speak about the first couple of songs that i listened to so far... when i nabbed it it cut off the playback lol

it is rather soothing :thumbup: love the dynamics and the stereo spread is darn near perfect imo placements are great. sounds like you did a lot of work tweaking :) love the composition but i am partial to the guitar. BTW... which piano did you use? it works well with the guitar. and listening to it now... i hear a lot of Gilmour influence... it has hints of Floyd <3

as for the mix... everything blends well and i hear no phase issues on my end. so again... sounds like you put a lot of effort and soul into it. really love the EQ of the guitars... no boxy tones. :) a lot of delicate sounds in it which are hard to get across as we all well know. well done dear friend. posted a link on twitter to help promote since it is a public forum. will also put a link to it on facebook :readit:

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 pm
Thanks Jay! I could use any such help, so the FP and Tw postings would be a plus, my friend. Between the two of us, we can carpool, so consider you or me will have a ride. :)  seriously, Thank you, and I'm very humbled you'd pick Gilmore. It's a sound I've often  strove for, so that's definitely a positive.

As to pianos, a lot of the more bluesy stuff (Next Stop-Promise, Ride of Time), I like the tone of the upright pianos next to electric guitar (NI, and Presonus' own upright and Grand). They just have some balls character that work for blues. Maybe some beer & whiskey got spilled on them through the years.

The more realistic grand I like is NI's New York Grand, a concert Steinway which again, seems to create it's own space. I have some new stuff with Waves' Rhapsody for when the piano needs to be on its own. Though I'm not really a piano player, so I'm a bit unsure of myself on the chord scene. I just bumble my way through, and thank the ability to edit notes. :XD:

As to the mixes, and panning. I try to get placement early, but at the end, near completion, a lot goes into panning with automation.

Excellent production take from you guys.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by jBranam on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:34 pm
yeah i grew up on an upright and it is my favorite of all pianos. cheers

p.s. you are most welcome and deserving

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Jemusic on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:51 pm
Thanks James too for the extra info about how you created the tracks. It is always an interesting perspective for me with things like that. I will listen out for the Syncalvier now that I now it is there. That is a real nice sounding synth that is for sure.

I see its about 56 minutes long which is also great value as well. That will fit the drive for me rather nicely. Sometimes I like rhythmic and propulsive electronic music that moves real nice on car trips but then the more serene music also can work real nice too. Especially when you hit the stressful and tense city of Melbourne. Helps you keep your sanity while you are in an environment like that.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jBranam on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm
hey jeff... heard Sydney was a pain too. one of the blokes i used to play competitive online warfare with owned a bar there. :) cheers

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 pm
Yeah, I know a little something about traffic. Lol.

We could no doubt speak on these production possibilities, sharing what we use, learned along the way, because for some of us, the process is quite interesting. I think we could get around basically any DAW, because a lot of it has to be just being resourceful, evaluating, and listening Since it can be a lot, much of the credit goes to a straight forward DAW environment. It's like using that great carpenter's tool that just works really well. You don't think, "wow, what a great Skill saw, or screw driver. You just use it with little to no resistance. That makes the process flow pretty well.

Funny, when I listen to Higher Doses (which I was considering as a band name), I think of the music that plays in the background when watching some weather channel. That wasn't the intention when writing it, but it seems well suited for it. Actually, the thought was more like tripping at airports.

"Huh, doesn't everyone trip at airports? " :)

Next Stop-Promise is more about falling on hard times. Or that "Town without pity" kind of feel. I liked the mood on that, so while a bit slow, I still pushed that song up front. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Generally for movie adaptations, or relaxation, not big record sales. That's mostly the intent. Thanks again, guys!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 am
Jemusic wrote: I see its about 56 minutes long which is also great value as well. That will fit the drive for me rather nicely

I had another song included, but had to remove it, due to a fix in the upper register. Not sure if it was a streaming issue, because the sound played back had some artifacts in the reverb at about 10khertz. However when I fix it, I will send you guys a preview, and as a personal TY. The song will be added to the next CD.

That same song has a girl on with a beautiful voice. I am trying to get that approved from her label.

Sometimes I like rhythmic and propulsive electronic music that moves real nice on car trips but then the more serene music also can work real nice too. Especially when you hit the stressful and tense city of Melbourne. Helps you keep your sanity while you are in an environment like that.

It's true, with some stressful traffic, and being bogged down, some peaceful music goes a long way.
This project is definately that sort of thing. Maybe with a slight touch of spychedelic Booker T & the MG's added. ;)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Bbd on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 am
Great job Jim! Very nice production and moods. This might sell well in stores that feature meditation type music. I just got back from Sedona and there were many places that this would have worked great.

Hope it does well.
:thumbup:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by miked7 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm
Sounds good. Beautiful guitar tone. I'm getting a kind of Larry Carlton vibe too. Well done!

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:55 am
Thank you Jim (Bbd), I could see that. My Niece, a massage therapist, said the same, and will also do just that. Use it as background music during sessions. As for if it sells, I'm not expecting anything out of it. Once I send to a distributer, later this week, it stands a better chance of exposure. The enjoyment and accomplishment of playing every note for now will have to do. :)

All instruments, from drums, guitars, bass, keyboards, arpegiated parts, and rhythmic happenings, we're constructed and played by myself. No loops, whatsoever. Purely a solo effort for this project. That could change going forward. I'd certainly post and give full disclosure and distribution rights, profit shares, etc, if that changes.

In this case, it was all on my lil' noggin. :)

Hey Jim, check out the time (signature) for each bar played on "Capt. Morgan's flight plan". I count 21. Lol.
Also whats syncopated on "What Was, Is". Together, it's 6..... and 8.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 am
miked7 wroteSounds good. Beautiful guitar tone. I'm getting a kind of Larry Carlton vibe too. Well done!

Thanks very much, Miked7! There was a lot of effort on the tone. Good wood helped. Interestingly, as i got further into each of the songs, a lot went into molding synthesis tones as well. They entwine a lot with the guitars, and it was pretty gratifying getting that all to sit pretty well. Lots went into things not stepping on one another, and I hope that came out equally well on different systems. ;)
I.e. Painting A Shadow - starts with Yamaha classical, then Tailor 214 (with Baggs, Lyric pickup), synth pads are largely Synclavier (there you go, Jeff), and RX8. The percussion on this was most simple, by tapping the guitars body. Between finger tip, nail, or where one plays, there's some very diverse percussion sounds to be had. The bass is a '68 Fender P. If I drop that thing on the ground, it still sounds good. For other songs with Electric guitars in short are a '70 Gibson LP Custom (Fretless Wonder), and a late 80's Fender reissue of a 54' Strat,. The feedback often came off of a 80' something Fernandez Strat. I also play a late 90's Gretch Hollow Body Electromatic. The tones from the guitars came pretty easily.

Yeah, i enjoy that jazz element as well, and hope to add more jazz phrasing in my next project. I enjoy Larry's playing a lot. Very tasty! I saw him years ago here in NYC, at the Bottom Line. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Jazz musicians. Those influences for me to list would run off of this page. Carlton, like Coryell, and DiMeola have some very warm passages.

I'm also going to add some original latin guitar playing, compositions to the next project. Something similar to Otmar Liebert, or Acoustic Alchemy type things. Just a dash, but perhaps enough to add that sort of neuvo flamenco influence on at least a few cuts. Such songs could have even made it to the Reasonable Approach project, but I chose to scale things direcrionally, a bit.

My favorite direction is to capture a mood. A visual agent to the music. Somehow, still providing some sense of musicality, and avoiding repetition. Ambient, New age, and many such labels (if I may say that) never seem to fit what I'm doing, even though some of that music is done exceptionally well. It's that way for many musicians or composers who vary within the ranks. Keeping to one style is very cool, but I've always enjoyed skipping rocks on the water.

On a side note:

What's nice here in this forum is that all you guys have a keen sense of the hurdles, the production and artistic aspect. I value that feedback, so having said "thank you", I include a kudos to your genuine responses.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by oliver p. on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:30 pm
Such relaxed and nice tunes, coming like warm waves in my ears. I liked the keyboards on Reasonable Approach in special and the guitars without exception. A very well done album!

J. Oliver Petry | i make music | Germany
Studio One Professional 6.5.2 | Win10 Home Edition 64bit |
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz | 16 GB RAM
| Audient id4 | Nektar GX61

youtube
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:10 pm
TY oliver P. Awsome of you to share that impression. Waves, are a soothing thought.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

16 posts
Page 1 of 1