16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello everybody!

Please find attached IDM 1.2.6 which is compatible with Studio One 4. Do NOT grab this version if you are still on S3 as it will not work correctly.

Rob.

Change: 1.2.6 is compatible with Studio One version 4.x

Change: Introduced a very small delay between preset changes to allow the previous change to take effect.
This should prevent the MSB value changing erroneously when selecting presets like a mad man :)

Change: Compiled for 64bit OS only.

Bug fix: If IDM terminated in a minimized state the last position and size was lost on restart.

Attachments
IDM.v1.2.6 (S4 Only).rar
Instrument Definition Manager for Studio One 4.x
(385.04 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
by PreAl on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:41 pm
Cool! Can't wait to try this.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by SoundWerx on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 pm
Thanks. You may need to run this as administrator if you've got an OS > Windows 7 and have placed IDM in a location impacted by UAC.
by rlfint on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:39 pm
HOW DO YOU INSTALL THIS?
by PreAl on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:10 am
rlfint wroteHOW DO YOU INSTALL THIS?

Firstly press the CAPS LOCK button.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by peterbirch on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 am
PreAl wrote
rlfint wroteHOW DO YOU INSTALL THIS?

Firstly press the CAPS LOCK button.

LOL... Sorry... lol

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by SkylineUK on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:18 am
Nice work Rob - needed more than ever since it's clear from V4 that MIDI and control of hardware modules in particular will never figure in Presonus's grand plan. It's all about EDM apparently, which is why I didn't upgrade. :|

My songs

Intel i9 9940X @ 3.3GHz, 14 cores, 32GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 1TB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB SSD drive, plus extra 1TB HDD drive
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Studio One 64 bit. Version: 4.6.1.55987
Cakewalk by BandLab
1 Lava Lamp
by roland1 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am
Haven't tried this yet, but thank you in advance. I still have a few keyboards/modules that could benefit from this.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lawrence on Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 am
Not to hijack the OP's thread nor dismiss his really great tool, but I built myself a patch manager extension for Studio One that uses Cubase definitions some long months ago. I'd forgotten all about it actually.

I don't use MIDI hardware synths very often so I did it more just to see if I could. I'll share it here at some point after I get back with Jeff (who has it and uses more midi hardware) to see how it's been working for him.

Or Jeff (if you're lurking) you can share it and explain it.
by roland1 on Tue May 14, 2019 4:47 pm
I enjoy seeing a bit of that mad-scientist programmer Reaper-like spirit seeping into this forum. :) Looking forward to seeing your instrument selection gizmo.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Steve Carter on Wed May 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Here I go again - making a complete pillock of myself....

What's an ' Instrument Definition Manager' and do I need it?
(I'm presuming that my ignorance probably answers the do I need it part of the question i.e. most likely not, otherwise I'd know what it was!)

Be gentle with me - Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by roland1 on Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm
The Instrument Definition Manager is a dictionary for non-musicians that tells you what each musical instrument does and how to contact people who may still play one of them.

[I'm just practicing my lying, in case I decide to get into politics. :D ]

It's an addon that allows you to scroll through the presets on an external MIDI module or keyboard. And, depending on if your interface has a LitterBolt™ connector, you can interface with your cat to make it purr on command. Most hit records now feature purring cats.

Steve Carter wroteHere I go again - making a complete pillock of myself....

What's an ' Instrument Definition Manager' and do I need it?
(I'm presuming that my ignorance probably answers the do I need it part of the question i.e. most likely not, otherwise I'd know what it was!)

Be gentle with me - Regards....

by Jemusic on Wed May 15, 2019 6:15 pm
roland1 wrote It's an addon that allows you to scroll through the presets on an external MIDI module or keyboard.

From the serious part of roland1's answer yes this is what it does. It is for people who are using external synths and want to be able to see the presets from Studio One for any given hardware synth and be able to select sounds.

What it should do though as well is insert the correct midi program change and bank number into the track if this is to be really of any use.

There are issues with this though. There are many hardware synths out there form the 80's onwards so someone has to make the definitions in the first place. For every synth! Not sure on that.

The other option is you set them up yourself. I use hardware as well and what I have done is create tables of all the presets that are in my synths and also worked out the correct bank number and program change in order to bring them up. So I just look them up and then put the right things into the track header settings.

It still does not take into account sounds that you may move around and save into different positions or sounds that you create from scratch. I still say know what is in every one of your hardware synths. There is no getting around that.

And as the great Edgar Froese once said you should not be using factory presets anyway. Because the guy next door will have exactly the same sounds! Personally I think factory presets are fine. With something like a Yamaha Motif Rack ES there are just thousands of sounds in there and it is pretty easy to find the right one you are looking for.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Steve Carter on Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 pm
Thanks guys...

Maybe I do need one - an IDM that is. If I'm understanding correctly, I have a lot of old midi song files that were written in combination with a Yamaha MU90 but, if the associated patch/timbre is not named in the midi file (or a patch change is invoked part-way through the song) I've no way, other than reliance on memory, of matching/assigning the original patch/timbre after loading the file into S1 - so an IDM would assist in this situation but I'd need to concoct this myself - where to start?

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by Jemusic on Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 pm
Well Steve you are in a bit of luck actually. The MU90 was a General Midi Module. In fact it was what they call an extended GM module. The MU90 was an XG model. What that means is that the first 128 patches for every GM module are all in fact the same. Every patch number corresponds to a certain sound or type of sound. (It is one of the great things about the whole GM concept)

XG means the patches go beyond the first 128 patches and although I am not over familiar with extended Midi modules, I am assuming that all extended patches will also be the same as well.

The Yamaha MU90 manual does not list the sounds but I have attached a document that does. What they do is use the standard program number along with Bank and Sub numbers to access the GX extra sounds. So if your midi files have used the GX extended sound bank then that info will be present in the program change data. You may need a midi event editor though in order to see them. e.g. Sonar etc.. Each track will have these programs set up to pull up the right sounds.

It is just a matter of finding out what the extra patches are. Your midi files will only have patch changes in them, you can still set up other hardware synths to play the right sounds. The end result often sounds nicer than standard GM modules.

Attachments
GM GS XG MIDI instruments.pdf
(602.3 KiB) Downloaded 511 times

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Steve Carter on Fri May 17, 2019 3:43 pm
Thanks very much for that.

I do have a copy of the latest Sonar, which I got for free like many others I guess ( I also have an old copy of Sonar 2, on which the midi files were written and even Cakewalk from the stone-age) but I haven't got around to re-familiarising myself with it yet - perhaps it's time to make the effort.

Regards....

16 posts
Page 1 of 1